Newie Wanting Some Piccies Of Crate Set-ups

rjflc69

My first post at DOL :laugh:

We are going to a breeders on Sunday evening to view a CKCS and hopefully if he is the right one for us and the breeder thinks we are the right family for him we will have a Blenheim CKCS joining our family in a couple of weeks.

It has been over 15 years since our last puppy (Dalmation) I have been trying to update myself on as much information on what to expect once he (hopefully) arrives. I am very interested in crate training as I have read mostly great reviews on this method but can't quite get my head around the setup ie. do they have a small bed in a larger cage, do they sleep in a crate such as airline travel one only etc etc.

If anyone would be so kind to show some piccies of their crate set up, doesn't have to be specifically for a Cavvy it would be greatly appreciated and a basic list of what I need for the start on his new life with our family. I will be asking the breeder these questions also but want to have a better understanding myself.

Thanks in advance

Fiona

We use these which are light, collapsible if need, but fit in the back of the car comfortably, heaps of extras with them. :laugh:

http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=crates

PS. Hope all goes well. Your breeder should give you all the info you need including a puppy booklet.

If you would like to PM can send you a copy of our puppy booklet.

Edited by Hesapandabear

Good luck on Sunday! :)

I'm no help in the crate training department, I've never done it and for my own situation I've never found it necessary.

Puppies need consistancy, routines and schedules and I've always found toilet training relatively simple. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful threads here :laugh:

To be completely honest, I'm seeing the other side of the coin now that I'm now the proud owner of 2 Chinese Crested dogs who are notorious relapsers :laugh: It won't convince me to crate, I just have to be a lot more vigilant :cry: .

I do know of several people who do crate and when done properly, it works well for them and their dogs. Personal choice I think :sleep:

All the best with whatever you decide. I sure hope you come home with a gorgeous bundle of fluff on Sunday! :rofl:

For my own dogs I never used crates or puppy pens. I just took them outside all of the time to go to the toilet and they pretty much would go to the back door and ask to go out after a few weeks of this.

For two foster puppies I had last year I had them in a puppy pen with newspaper and a bed. I also took them outside to toilet constantly so by the time they were 12 weeks they would pretty much hold on untill I took them outside. They would also cry and shake the puppy pen when they needed to go. This is probably my preferred method if you have to contain the puppies.

The foster girl I have back here doing rehab after orthopedic surgery is in a crate so that she can't run around. I have a crate liner (fleecy on one side and rubberised on the other) and some soft pollyfleece blankets for her to lay on. She is only in there during the day as she is in bed with me at night. But this is the set up that most people would reffer to as crate training.

Oh how exciting Fiona !!

Welcome to DOL :laugh:

I'll show you ours soon, we have two (different kinds), but one is being used as a outside cat enclosure atm LOL

This is the one we are using as a cat enclousure ( with a cover on top). It's bigger than it looks in the photo. We got through deals direct, and use it for when we go away camping..

The other one I'll show you later is a bit different, and what you are more looking for I think.. Like the one in post above mine :cry:

Hmmmm sorry this pic is more a pen, but anyway just in case you are looking for other ideas as well. It does have a gate as part of it ..

TheZoo2.jpg

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Ok here's the other one. It does fit both of ours in it :cry:

The perception of it makes it look a bit smaller in this pic, but it isn't that small.. (it's a med sized one)

They love it, and if the door is left open they will often go put themselves in it to have a sleep :p

Joey looks a bit put out in this pic because he had been busily looking for a biscuit at the bottom of it, and we interrupted him to take a pic of it hehe

It's called 'Pet One' bought it at a large pet shop warehouse. It's portable and fits easily in the back of our car.

Crate.jpg

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Thanks everyone for the info and piccies. Well great news is we are getting our gorgeous little boy in 2 weeks time :)

He was 1 of a litter of 3 and is very handsome. The breeder and I chatted for a long time sitting on the floor with the puppies and hope I asked all the right questions. She was a lovely lady and shows her CKCS on a regular basis and all puppies have had 2 vet checks and parenting lines were clear from genetic issues. We visited the breeder as a family (3 kids and husband in tow) so that she could meet us bones and all so she was happy with the family the puppy was going to and in the end everyone was happy.

We haven't fully decided on a name yet but the front runner is HUMPHREY followed by Fletcher, Barkly, Baxter & Charlie (other names in no particular order).

Now to sort out sleeping arrangements etc.

JulesLuvsCavs

Can you give me advice on the size of the crate (in your 2nd pic) and would that be suitable from puppy size?

Also for during the day sleeps do you use the crate and if so, is it worth the crate being in a pen with the door of the crate open or similar set up to night sleep?

Fiona

Thanks everyone for the info and piccies. Well great news is we are getting our gorgeous little boy in 2 weeks time :)

He was 1 of a litter of 3 and is very handsome. The breeder and I chatted for a long time sitting on the floor with the puppies and hope I asked all the right questions. She was a lovely lady and shows her CKCS on a regular basis and all puppies have had 2 vet checks and parenting lines were clear from genetic issues. We visited the breeder as a family (3 kids and husband in tow) so that she could meet us bones and all so she was happy with the family the puppy was going to and in the end everyone was happy.

We haven't fully decided on a name yet but the front runner is HUMPHREY followed by Fletcher, Barkly, Baxter & Charlie (other names in no particular order).

Now to sort out sleeping arrangements etc.

JulesLuvsCavs

Can you give me advice on the size of the crate (in your 2nd pic) and would that be suitable from puppy size?

Also for during the day sleeps do you use the crate and if so, is it worth the crate being in a pen with the door of the crate open or similar set up to night sleep?

Fiona

Hi Fiona :rofl:.

I am not sure of the exact measurements of our crate.. . I don't have much experience re puppies, as we had our two rehomed to us from a show home when they were older , but I guess it would be ok :rofl:

I leave the door open on ours during the day (if I am home), and they can go in and out of it as they please.. Joey mainly uses it.

They sleep with us on our bed at night, but I don't recommend letting a puppy on the bed ( they have very delicate little legs that might break very easily)

I was going to suggest you ask also in the Dol Cavalier breed sub forum, as some of them have puppies/young Cavs . I see HollyMilo has put up the link for you already :rofl:

All the best ! :rofl:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs