Some Training Tips Please

Hi.. im starting to feel guilty bout leaving my big boy outside with the weather here being rather crappy and bound to only get worse so i was after some ideas on how to train him to stay out of the kitchen (open plan living/dining/kitchen) and also how to teach him not to go past the living room door unless its bed time cos he will be sleeping in my room at night but i dont want him getting into my sons room during the day and getting into his toys..

also some pointers on how to get him to ignore the cat.. she doesnt like him and as such she reacts but it would be nice to be able to have them both in the same room and i cant train the cat so the dog it is lol

get a crate for when you want him inside and cannot supervise

other times have him on a leash and clip him too you

he doesnt know whats happening yet so dont assume he's automatically 'trained' he just hasnt pushed the boundary yet :)

As for the cat give it escape routes and high places to go away from the dog. Also another reason to keep dog on leash, you can keep an eye and not the let the dog go after the cat if it bolts around the house.

get a crate for when you want him inside and cannot supervise

other times have him on a leash and clip him too you

he doesnt know whats happening yet so dont assume he's automatically 'trained' he just hasnt pushed the boundary yet :)

As for the cat give it escape routes and high places to go away from the dog. Also another reason to keep dog on leash, you can keep an eye and not the let the dog go after the cat if it bolts around the house.

he seems to be doing ok being inside loose..

he got a bit to close to the cat and she took off and of course he followed but as soon as i said 'zeus no' in a firm tone he was straight over to his blanket and sat down which amazed me..

i have been looking to get him a crate but i havent been able to find one i can afford as yet but i am still looking..

and he will- until he feels comfortable!!!

At present, he knows it is YOUR territory, and it is strange... so he is treading carefully. :)

May be an idea to... get some baby gates, or keep him on leash so he doesn't learn bad habits!

Also- make sure door to kid's room is shut.. and that all bins, tissues, etc are out of reach :laugh:

and he will- until he feels comfortable!!!

At present, he knows it is YOUR territory, and it is strange... so he is treading carefully. :)

May be an idea to... get some baby gates, or keep him on leash so he doesn't learn bad habits!

Also- make sure door to kid's room is shut.. and that all bins, tissues, etc are out of reach :laugh:

thanks will do that..

heres hoping he can adapt cos i feel really bad leaving him outside when its so cold..

Hehehe...once he learns the rules he will loooove you for letting him inside with his family.

But I agree with whats been said..he's being good because he's in a strange environment atm... just you wait til he's comfortable! :) So important to get the ground rules down pat.

my dog knows that she is not allowed in the kitchen whilst i am in there as it is too small and therefore dangerous for her to be in there when i am there.

she now sits outside the kitchen door and does not go in until i go out. also, she is allowed on my bed when i invite her but at no other time. i can leave the bedroom door open and she never goes on the bed without permission.

all that i did was t make sure that when she put her paw onto the kitchen floor i went towards her and said "back" and i did this until she go it.

for the bed, i found her on there a couple of times and just told her to get off.

they learn really quickly where they are allowed and where the aren't allowed.

I have been blessed with a dog that from the day we got him, has understood the mat just inside the door is for him to lay on. He may enter the rest of when told "inside". Taking a little longer to teach him "outside" means "out the door" and not "on your mat".

We are also training him to answer the door. As in if someone comes to the door, he can stand there so who ever is visiting can see there is a gate keeper (more a security trick than anything), the second part is to sit in the corner near with view of the front when we open the door.

The kitchen is taking us longer, as like you, its just a bench in a big room with big walking areas all around. We are going to rig up some sort of gate (thinking about cutting up a big box), so he can see the boundary, then evetually shorten it down so its only a few inches high and ues some sort of "out" or "no" command if he steps over it. If you come up with anything better let me know, it's very hard when its one portion of a large room you want them out of.

The bedrooms, we have no kids, so we just shut door for those rooms. If the "kitchen box gate" works, we'll try that on the other rooms.

I have been blessed with a dog that from the day we got him, has understood the mat just inside the door is for him to lay on. He may enter the rest of when told "inside". Taking a little longer to teach him "outside" means "out the door" and not "on your mat".

We are also training him to answer the door. As in if someone comes to the door, he can stand there so who ever is visiting can see there is a gate keeper (more a security trick than anything), the second part is to sit in the corner near with view of the front when we open the door.

The kitchen is taking us longer, as like you, its just a bench in a big room with big walking areas all around. We are going to rig up some sort of gate (thinking about cutting up a big box), so he can see the boundary, then evetually shorten it down so its only a few inches high and ues some sort of "out" or "no" command if he steps over it. If you come up with anything better let me know, it's very hard when its one portion of a large room you want them out of.

The bedrooms, we have no kids, so we just shut door for those rooms. If the "kitchen box gate" works, we'll try that on the other rooms.

he already automatically stands at the door whenever someone turns up. i have always trained my dogs to do that. the door to the hallway has been open all day and on the one time where he went to go thru the door he looked at me first and i just said no and he sat back down on his blanket.

as for the kitchen our living room is carpeted and the kitchen has lino so that makes it a bit easier to give him a stopping point.

as for the kitchen our living room is carpeted and the kitchen has lino so that makes it a bit easier to give him a stopping point.

Lucky you. We are aallllllllll tiles! Very cold in winter!

bugger that might make things difficult..

maybe put coloured tape on the floor to show the boundary?

That might work. Demon's pretty smart, but I honestly have my doubts he would initialy pick up on it. that maybe the step after having a the little "gate" so he notices it. Put it underneath the "gate"initially. Thanks!!

That might work. Demon's pretty smart, but I honestly have my doubts he would initialy pick up on it. that maybe the step after having a the little "gate" so he notices it. Put it underneath the "gate"initially. Thanks!!

you might be surprised.. if you put the tape down and he steps over it just take him back over and tell him no or whatever command you choose to use..

i had another dog in a house with a similar problem.. it was all lino but there was a join in the pieces and the dog was trained not to step over the join.. it took time but she figured it out..