New Pup

shad

Thanks for the responses. Giraffez, I have read you're thread and I think it could be partly the reason too.... we didn't get to play with the pups for very long before they went to sleep!

I have emailed the breeder explaining my concern.... and will arrange to see the pups again at 7 weeks. Read a post in the lab sub forum on what to look out for when assessing puppies so I will follow that when i go!

Shad have PMd you

I should have also invited you to join us in the Labrador thread where you'll meet lots of like minded people who are all owned by their Labradors.

Yes, come on over to the lab thread Shad. :laugh: We have puppies of different ages over there, including a couple nearly ready to come to their homes and breeders who can give you additional lab-specific insights to the good info you have from breeders here.

I had one pup in my last litter that always seemed to hang back. She seemed to be the quiet, shy one. Rather than fight for your attention she would just go into the bed and lie down and watch.

That was at about 4 to 5 weeks of age....but by 6 weeks of age she was the devil.

OMG did she come out of her shell. She ended up being the naughtiest, most mischievous puppy in the whole litter, and drove me insane, she was just so full on. I wanted back that quiet, shy puppy again.

I was a bit concerned as the family that had been selected has 3 small toddlers and I thought OMG not sure they'll cope....but they have and she has graduated puppy pre-school and all doing very well.

Dont forget....you are strangers as well to the pup. And timing to see the pups can change also. The most friendly pup when you visit, might be the most shy one next time as it has just fed, or played etc.

Puppies can change when they leave the comfort of their littermates as well, and they need time to find their own feet.

Good luck though !!

:wave:

Esme was the one in the litter to hang back a bit. She is still on the sensitive side and a submissive dog with people. She is also as mad as a cut snake and loves life. Just not pushy with people she doesn't know. Perfect for my situation and just what I wanted.

I think it's a great idea that you are visiting again. :wave:

When we went to the Breeder to choose our Staffy we had a choice of two. One was very forward while the other stood back, very shy. The breeder was trying to talk us into the shy one while we were tending to go the other, to cut a long story short.......we bought both, two females.

Now 18 months later, remembering both have had exactly the same upbringing, they are still the same. The shy one still greets dogs half her size by rolling on her back submissively, the other approaches chest out ready for anything.

They both are not shy with people, they will go to anyone, but the shy one has the most lovely nature you can get in a dog, I dont think she would ever purposely hurt another living thing, where as the other, for example, would rip a cat apart given half a chance.

What I am saying is, if you are discounting one dog purely on shyness you may be missing out on a beautiful dog, like we nearly did. It may present it's own challenges but it may not be as bad an outcome as you think, but that also depends on what you want from a dog as well.

Hi BigDaz,

I would love to get two ! But as we are fairly new to this I don't think we could handle it.

The shy one still greets dogs half her size by rolling on her back submissively,

Is this still considered to be appropriate behaviour? I wouldn't have a problem with it if my dog did that. But I wouldn't want it to lead onto something like running away etc...

Hi BigDaz,

I would love to get two ! But as we are fairly new to this I don't think we could handle it.

The shy one still greets dogs half her size by rolling on her back submissively,

Is this still considered to be appropriate behaviour? I wouldn't have a problem with it if my dog did that. But I wouldn't want it to lead onto something like running away etc...

Shad quite often when you raise siblings together one is dominant and the other submissive. Not always though and in some cases the tables are turned depending on where you are. We raised siblings from Maddie's last litter and at home they are quite equal and very placid, but when we go to training, Cassie is inclined to sit a little behind Tina who is a very confident bitch at training. Take those same two girls to a dog show and Cassie is a showier bitch and loves the environment and Tina is just over excited.

I guess that doesnt explain it very well but I hope you get the idea.

Thanks mercedes =)

I spose what I'm wondering is if this rolling on their back submissively is a character flaw or just a difference in their character. Seems like the latter.

Thanks mercedes =)

I spose what I'm wondering is if this rolling on their back submissively is a character flaw or just a difference in their character. Seems like the latter.

A professional trainer could give you better advice than me but JMHO it means that the dog already sees you as the dominant or alpha male. On the other hand it can I believe be a sign of stubborness, for example if you were trying to get your dog to go outside and instead they just rolled over and their back and wouldnt come when called then they are being stubborn and trying to dominate you. The biggest advantage there is that 99% of Labradors are food driven so you show them the treat, get their attention and they will follow the treat. BUT they dont get it until they are actually outside the door where you want them. This means you are back in control.

If they are submitting to another dog it means just that IMO. They are submitting instead of being confrontational and I dont see this as a flaw in their character and it may only be with one dog or be temporary.

Good luck tomorrow (it is tomorrow isnt it?) and give us a report on your pup. Take photos lots of photos

Hi BigDaz,

Having done it I would never suggest anyone get two, I was more saying that the shy one may turn out to be a very loving dog.

I dont like her rolling on her back, it leaves her too open to attack............it is cute when she does it to a puppy though.

Hi all,

Thanks for the concern. We did go see her again today and she was wonderful. Came to greet us with the rest of her litter and played and licked etc etc . Was very cute. Didn't see any of the signs of shyness we saw last time. She certainly isn't as 'naughty' a couple of the other pups... who were tugging at all our clothes and any loose hanging bits lol... but that's just fine with me =)

will post some photos tomorrow. 2 weeks to go! It's going to be a long 2 weeks =(

Great news :thumbsup::):champagne:

Having been waiting all afternoon for you to report back. Now all we need is the photos and of course what you intend to name her.

And dont forget to visit us all in the Lab thread on a regular basis (daily :thumbsup: ) so that we can support you through the next two weeks.

couldn't sleep.

so.... meet Kirri at 6 weeks old.

picture is a Mexican stand off with a squeaky donkey!

very cute! :thumbsup:

Thats great news! Looks like you and I shared the same experience. Hope your pup turns out as great as mine did! (except for the biting... no biting ....) :thumbsup: