Cut Paw Pads

Help! My 5 month border collie has a deep cut to her paw pad. The large pad in the centre has been cut so about a quarter of the pad has been detached? I have been told that the paw pads can't be stitched and that dogs aren't very succeptible to tetanus, so I am unsure whether a trip to the vet would be a waste of time. I have been putting betadine on it ( she did it last night on I don't know what.) and it seems pretty clean.

Any-one with any suggestions?? I'm feeling really guilty. :wave:

post-29126-1243479339_thumb.jpg

post-29126-1243479571_thumb.jpg

Edited by blondeborder

Hard to tell from that but I have always bandaged and put a kiddy sock on them when my girl has injured her pads in the past. Don't be tempted to let them run around like a lunatic to early otherwise it just prolongs the healing.

they can be stitched, there have been a few threads about cut paws do a search :wave:

if it's not still bleeding then you might get away with bandaging and keeping it clean

Ok have just read a article that said to wash and make sure that its clean and then put betadine on it. They also said it was best to let it air dry and don't worry about wrapping it. Keep her quite and give the vet a ring if your worried.

Edited by glendabenda

Ok have just read a article that said to wash and make sure that its clean and then put betadine on it. They also said it was best to let it air dry and don't worry about wrapping it. Keep her quite and give the vet a ring if your worried.

Cheers for that, i thought it would be best to leave unwrapped, I'm trying to keep her inside today, and quiet, but they're about to burn off over the road, and there is about to be a lot of sirens and action, so we'll see how it goes!

I'm hoping it won't get infected, I've put on betadine and she seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it clean, but I'll be straight to the vet if it looks dodgy.

Cheers for that, i thought it would be best to leave unwrapped, I'm trying to keep her inside today, and quiet, but they're about to burn off over the road, and there is about to be a lot of sirens and action, so we'll see how it goes!

I'm hoping it won't get infected, I've put on betadine and she seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it clean, but I'll be straight to the vet if it looks dodgy.

Cool Im sure she will be fine.

Do you have a crate for her? BCs can be such a bugger to keep off there feet (one of the reasons for bandaging it rather than keeping it open).

If she seems to be licking the betadine off maybe a bandage would be a good idea.

Do you have a crate for her? BCs can be such a bugger to keep off there feet (one of the reasons for bandaging it rather than keeping it open).

No I don't have a crate for her. She seems to be doing a lot better a keeping off her feet than I thought she would, as long as I ingnore her. Any excitement could be a problem though. Poor little thing, she does love to run around.

Mabe I will get some non stick wound pads and bandages to keep on standby. Don't think she will be able to keep it up too long! :thumbsup:

If she seems to be licking the betadine off maybe a bandage would be a good idea.

Think I might need one. Even just to let it soak in for a while before it gets licked off.

Are they still running the Puppy Classes? Not that she will be able to go for a while.

I've had whippets with cut pads. the first time I got it stitched and it was a waste of time....and money. The second time I bandaged it and made a little leather boot for her when she went outside. It healed really well and fairly quickly, about 3 weeks, which might seem alot but I didn't restrict her at all, just kept it bandaged, oh, and I used Manuka honey.

Looking at yours I think I'd bandage it during the day as it is right on the underneath of her paw. I could imagine gunk to get forced into it. If you want it get some air time then remove the bandage at night. That's what I think I would do if it were my dog.

Hope it heals OK.