Is My Puppy Ok?

joee

Hello all

This is the first time I have a dog on my own.. my parents used to do everything when i had them..

I have a labrador puppy. he is 9 weeks now.

First question..

We have a big shed to put him there outside the house. But he really likes to get into the house.

The problem is there are two small steps (maybe huge steps for him) before getting into the house.

I have been paying attention to my puppy as he always fall or trip over everytime he walk down the steps. I heard that Labrador is prone to Hip problem.

Is it ok for him to stepping up and down (and always falling over)? Is it going to affect his development?

Second question...

Why is he always sound like choke after i feed him? well not choke actually.. dont know how to describe it.

is it because he eats too fast (he eats like monster) or because of he is not used to the solid food?

anyone please help..

i want the best for my puppy =(

Hello all

This is the first time I have a dog on my own.. my parents used to do everything when i had them..

I have a labrador puppy. he is 9 weeks now.

First question..

We have a big shed to put him there outside the house. But he really likes to get into the house.

The problem is there are two small steps (maybe huge steps for him) before getting into the house.

I have been paying attention to my puppy as he always fall or trip over everytime he walk down the steps. I heard that Labrador is prone to Hip problem.

Is it ok for him to stepping up and down (and always falling over)? Is it going to affect his development?

Second question...

Why is he always sound like choke after i feed him? well not choke actually.. dont know how to describe it.

is it because he eats too fast (he eats like monster) or because of he is not used to the solid food?

anyone please help..

i want the best for my puppy =(

4 days ago your puppy was to be 7 weeks next week. Am assuming you returned the second puppy?

Your 6-7 week old puppy should not be out in a shed by itself - it needs to have contact given it is not with its litter.

Your puppy is un-co as it is still learning about how to walk properly etc.

You should probably say what you're feeding the puppy.

Edited by Danois

Gday =)

I have just bought a frontline flea treatment for dogs up to 11kg or for puppies 8 weeks old.

My puppy will be 7 weeks next week but she is already 6 kg. Is it okay to use it on her?

is is actually necessary to do that? Maybe im just a bit paranoid. She used to play in my backyard (mostly grass and some black sand, soil).

She also likes to play with sand (and i know flea comes from the sand!)

I really hate fleas!!

Thanks for your advice guys.

yeah he will be 9 weeks this friday =)

my parents finally look after the second puppy =(

I should learn from my mistake not to have to 2 puppies at the same time!

My parents used to take care of the dogs when i still lived with them..

I always try to carry him if he wants to jump up and down the steps..

I feed him with advance puppy large breed formula.. i did try to soak them with puppy milk but its hard like a rock!

takes really to soften the biscuit..

Your puppy is to young to be alone. Please don't lock him in the shed.

Is he unstead on his feet at any other times?

no we dont lock him in the shed.

we put a crate at the door of the shed.. so he can play and poo outside the shed

and also i put a very large kennel inside the shed for him to sleep with lots of cushion and he really likes it =)

Firstly soak the biscuit in some warm water for about 5 - 10 minutes before you feed him. But he needs things other than just biscuits - he needs meat, milk and the occassional egg and maybe some sardines. Introduce all the new foods very slowly and in small amounts at first.

Your 9 wk old puppy should be ok with steps if they are standard steps but if you are worried why not get a small piece of timber and make a ramp for him.

Lastly, I think you puppy would be a great deal happier if he could sleep closer to you. You have replaced his mother and litter brothers and sisters - you are now the leader of his pack. He needs to be near you to understand his place in your pack adn to learn from you.

Why not put his crate in the kitchen or laundry (or bedroom) at night.

Please don't leave your puppy in the shed. There is a reason he is happier with you - you are his pack (family!) and he won't understand why you are making him stay away - in the dog world, that is a sign of pack rejection (never a good thing for the individual concerned!).

Crate train your puppy inside - he will feel a lot more secure in the home environment with you around. There is lots of really good information on puppy training here on DOL and elsewhere online - any problems just ask!

thank you so much for the help and valuable guidance..! I really appreciate that..

yeah.. i did want to put him inside the house..

the problem is that we dont want to install doggy door for him as he will grow really big..

i do have a pen/crate.. i tried to put him in laundry before the first day he arrived.. also with the pee pee pad..

he never poo or pee at his bed which is good but i dont feel good looking at him in such a small space like a prisoner =(

I dont really want to let him running around in the house as he always pee everywhere..

any suggestion pls?

thanks

post-29646-1244367526_thumb.jpg

Edited by joee

You don't need a doggy door. Once housetrained he will let you know when he needs to go out.

In the meantime you just need to take him out regularly so he doesn't go in the house. Also after meals, sleeps and playtime. Lots of praise when he does his business outside. Don't feel bad for confining him at night. I crate my dogs inside at night and they are happy to go in there to sleep. It is like their den.

ETA your pup is really cute!

Edited by Cat

You need to understand the general routine of a 9 week old pup - of any breed. They sleep for a short time, wake up and within 2 - 5 minutes of waking up they will pee and or poop. Then they play for a short time and pee and poop again. then they sleep again and repeat the process. The only time this process is altered is to include food, which of course will also mean that they eat adn then within 2 5 minutes they will pee and poop.

So once you understand this process you can see your pup wake up, say good boy out side, and take him out to toilet. But dont just put him out the door you must actually walk around the yard with him so that when he does pee or poop you can tell him "good boy".

Put the crate in teh kitchen and teach him to sleep in there by making going into the crate a positive thing. That means, a bone or a treat to entice him into the crate.

None of this happens overnight, it will takes weeks to get it all right and you must be consistent.

Can I suggest you look at finding a good puppy preschool so you can start to learn about training him now? Don't just find one run by vet nurses either - try to find one that is run by people with a sound understanding of dog behaviour and training.

Perhaps if you say what area you are in someone might be able to recommend a good one for you?

Your puppy is to young to be alone. Please don't lock him in the shed.

Is he unstead on his feet at any other times?

no we dont lock him in the shed.

we put a crate at the door of the shed.. so he can play and poo outside the shed

and also i put a very large kennel inside the shed for him to sleep with lots of cushion and he really likes it =)

so he is confined to the shed but can go into the crate to poo you mean? or the crate is in the shed and he has access to the yard when he wants?

When I was a girl I didn't know many dogs that slept inside. I had 2 dogs of my own & they were locked in the garage while babies & when older had a kennel to sleep in. When I married my oh had a dog & when she came to live with us at 5 y/o she slept outside. So did our next dog but he was 5.5 mths old when we got him.

My next puppy was April. She came to live with us in the May & always slept inside.

Sooty came to live with us in Nov 2000. She's my son's dog & he wanted her to be an outside dog. But while she was a baby she slept inside until she was fully grown when she slept in her kennel for a few years. She has slept inside for the last couple of years.

Sooty was the easiest of our 3 last dogs to house train. :eek: She has never made a mistake inside since she was 10 weeks old but my son got her at 6 w/o. She was taken outside to toilet after waking up from sleeps, after eating & drinking, after playing & every hour in between.

If you put your puppy's crate next to your bed & you had followed the above suggestions, you will hear him stir during the night & can carry him outside to toilet. While he's going use a word or short phrase to let him know what he's doing such as potty, hurry up, & he will learn to go on command which is handy when you need him to go b4 going out in the car or b4 coming inside. As said go out with him & when he does praise & give him a treat.

By the time the weather starts to warm up again & he's grown you can then put him in the shed to sleep in his kennel & have the crate inside for when he can sleep inside.

oh thanks everyone for the advise..

i will be taking him to puppy school in two weeks time with RSPCA.. its a puppy kindy program. =)

i tried to put him inside the house for 2 days.. first i always opened the back door for him to get out to do his business..

he always go out to the backyard to poo or wee (i think because i used to keep him outside and he always does it in the backyard) which is great :thumbsup:

then i tried to close the door.. shockingly he was very smart to sit next to the door and bark letting me know he wanted to pee or poo!

but still, sometimes he sniffed around and accident happened quite a few times.

but now im really keen to train him so he can stay with me inside the house! =D

post-29646-1244435182_thumb.jpg

That is a lovely photo, worth blowing up & framing.

I'm glad you've decided to have him inside. To prevent mistakes don't give him access to the whole house yet, only one room at a time with an easy clean floor. When you can't watch him put him in the laundry with bed, toys & water or for short periods in his crate. Before you let him out take him outside to toilet 1st. As he becomes more reliable you can give him access to other rooms, one at a time. Here's a link that may be useful

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/housesoiling