In And Outdoor Toilet Training

daccies

A friend of mine has just got a new puppy and due to the lay out of the house is trying to toilet train her both on paper and outside. Saw an earlier thread about how confusing this is so looking for some advice. Its a 3 storey house and she will mainly live upstairs thus the need to go on paper. The garden is 3 floors down so they're taking her out last thing at night/first thing in the morning. All other times to go on paper in the house. She's a dachshund so can't run up and down the stairs (not that many anyway)

Will she just get used to going on paper, with the usual praise etc. and also learn to go in the garden?

The first thing I would do would be to buy a puppy play pen and put newspaper down inside it along with the dogs bed etc.

At least you will be able to restrict it to the newpapers, which is a good start.

The next step would be to take it outside frequently - before the next wee is due.

That way you can teach it that outside is the place to do it. :cheer:

Maybe ,instead of paper.. use something with good fake turf over it- so the texture/look of grass is there? That 'may' make it easier to then learn to go on grass.

Why get a dachsie with so many stairs in the house- poor dog. :cheer:

The first thing I would do would be to buy a puppy play pen and put newspaper down inside it along with the dogs bed etc.

At least you will be able to restrict it to the newpapers, which is a good start.

The next step would be to take it outside frequently - before the next wee is due.

That way you can teach it that outside is the place to do it. :cheer:

I agree with the puppy having a pen. Instead of newpaper you could also use puppy pads which you can get from pet shops. these are scented. These were great with my puppy when i had him in the laundry. Also the basic rules of takinghim outside after he eats, sleeps or plays.

We used the paper method and just kept sneaking it closer and closer to the door and eventually outside. Slow process but it worked. A few accidents along the way but nothing that Urine Free and a black light couldn't handle. Lifesaver for a house with only a small garden!