Puppy Attacking Us

=SaNdY^BaBii=

Hi there, I've had my puppy Momo for about 2 wks now. She is a Pom about 3 months old now.

She has been good so far, never peed or pooed in the house, she was somehow toilet trained to go on grass only.

Didn't have too much trouble with crate training for sleep, only a bit of whining for a few minutes and then quiet.

The only problem that has started in the last few days is that she has taken to jumping at us with her mouth trying to bite.

Last night when she was on the floor and i knelt down to pat her, then suddenly she leaped at my face with her mouth open trying to take a bite.

She also did that with my friend who was here.

It was very sudden as she wasn't jumping around or anything to start with, either just lying there or when we are holding her, but when we our face are down close enough she suddenly jumped to attack our faces.

I am very concerned as we could've been hurt on our faces, and if it was a small child they would b seriously scared and wouldn't be able to react quick enough to stop her.

Would anyone be able to advise me on what she is doing and how I can stop her?

thanks!

Edited by =SaNdY^BaBii=

Congrats on your new puppy.

You have now reached the stage that your puppy is comfortable with you and their surroundings. They will now start to test their barriers of how far they can push you.

If the dog is doing this i would place the dog on lead so that it cannot jump on you and give a stern no or whatever word you want to use when this behaviour occurrs.

I would also in future when you play with the puppy and it does bite your hand etc when playing use the same word, so the dog understands that they have hurt you. If you do this consistently your problem should be solved.

Remember your puppy is only 12 weeks old and for the next few months you are going to have alot of little trials like these. Remember you are the leader not the puppy.

I would also enroll in a puppy preschool class because they will be able to help you greatly over the next weeks/months when all these different things pop up.

Good luck

My suggestion is that you take her to see a trainer or have one visit you.

It might simply be mouthing, it might be play or it might be something else. Unless someone sees the behaviour, they wont' know for sure.

If you've not already signed on for some puppy training classes, I suggest you do so ASAP.

Have you done Puppy preschool yet or do you intend to?

I recommend this to teach the basic obeidence for him eg, sit, recall etc

I was taught to use treats and call him in a hppy voice and if he jumps just turn around and ignore him for a few seconds then try again and if he sits then he gets a treat. This will teach him that sittingwhen he is called etc is what he has to do.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies!!

So far I have taught her to sit and stay, although she can only do these quite well when there is food involved!!

If there are distractions or if I don't stare at her, she loses concentration and just gets up again.

I have taken her to her first lesson of puppy school last week, which the trainers taught sit, stand and come.

She understands these commands.

The only trouble i am having now is to actually get her to follow these commands each and everytime with or without the lure of food.

I think I need to strengthen the idea of who is the leader as she is starting to feel that she can test the water and push limits.

In regards to when she tries to bite and attack, I have tried the ignoring her strategy.

but it seems that she is not fazed by it at all, cuz she just entertains herself by playing with her toys by herself.

she doesn't seem bothered that I am trying to ignore her :thumbsup:

So i don't know if that actually works on letting her know what she's done is wrong...

Maybe try to eliminate all the toys and any distractions when you teach this one. Even say no in a sturn voice and then tell him to sit? My pup does get distracted eaisly too i found even putting him on his lead helps though

If the pup was still with it's mum she would probably growl loudly at her and maybe even snap to teach it a lesson.......

I'd be a LOT stearner with her and say NO really LOUD and push her away very quickly.........Puppy classes are a must for your pooch as well......some children need stronger discipline than others as do dogs!!!!!

I think puppy school is a good idea too, the one I took her to was pretty good but a little far for me.

Can anyone suggest puppy school around Doncaster area in Melbourne??

It has to be night or weekend due to me working during the day!

thanks!!

If the pup was still with it's mum she would probably growl loudly at her and maybe even snap to teach it a lesson.......

I'd be a LOT stearner with her and say NO really LOUD and push her away very quickly.........

:p :laugh: Great advice.

I'd be a LOT stearner with her and say NO really LOUD and push her away very quickly.........Puppy classes are a must for your pooch as well......some children need stronger discipline than others as do dogs!!!!!

Agreed...except I wouldn't push her away.

If she jumped up at my face trying to nip I would yet out "NO!!" (or 'No biting!' or whatever word you choose) and simply walk away and ignore her completely for 5-10mins by not looking at her or letting her touch or jump up against your leg.

If she started mouthing whilst playing I would do the same thing... yell "NO!!" and stop playing immediately (taking any toys with you and putting them away) and ignore for 5-10mins.

At first she might ignore you back and not care that you've left her...but in my experience pups will crave attention and interaction more than the desire to do their own thing.

Giving no attention means absolutely NO attention e.g. looking at, pushing down, speaking to except to teach bite inhibition. You need to say 'ouch' in a high pitched voice similar to another puppy that's getting bitten by its litter mate & stop whatever you're doing with her for a minute.

Use the 'sit' command for every interaction with your puppy. She must sit for food, walks, cuddles, pats, b4 putting on the lead, b4 getting into the car etc. She's a baby & will lose interest quickly so make training session no more than 3 mins at a time spread throughout the day.

I would say this pup isnt attacking .its simply being a pup & now its up to you to follow the education its mother would have.

The first thing i would consider is if getting so close to the pups head with your face is causing this reaction then dont do it.

When pups greet there mother they do so around her face pup is only doing whats natural BUT you have to set the new boundries.

I have friends who breed Poms & there very much a facey type breed who love giving puppy nibbles but certainly not attacking so its important i think to understand the too.

When you lowered yourself to the pup it most likely had no idea what you where doing & simply reacted with excitement & your face was in the line off fire.

As for training with no treats i dont agree,Pups/dogs need a reward whether it be treat,ball or what ever its "object" is.

In all honesty she sounds like a normal pup & you have had a normal experience that many presume is something worse.

Have you discussed it with the breeder??

What is pup like when being brushed??

I would say this pup isnt attacking .its simply being a pup & now its up to you to follow the education its mother would have.

The first thing i would consider is if getting so close to the pups head with your face is causing this reaction then dont do it.

When pups greet there mother they do so around her face pup is only doing whats natural BUT you have to set the new boundries.

I have friends who breed Poms & there very much a facey type breed who love giving puppy nibbles but certainly not attacking so its important i think to understand the too.

When you lowered yourself to the pup it most likely had no idea what you where doing & simply reacted with excitement & your face was in the line off fire.

As for training with no treats i dont agree,Pups/dogs need a reward whether it be treat,ball or what ever its "object" is.

In all honesty she sounds like a normal pup & you have had a normal experience that many presume is something worse.

Have you discussed it with the breeder??

What is pup like when being brushed??

I have started to say 'ahhhhhhhhhhh no' when she tries to attack my face and she has been doing it a lot less. She now only does is when she is excited with new people and try that on them!

She doesn't like being brushed, she keeps trying to bite the brush!!! But I get her to sit, then use treats to get her to stay still and give her one every 10 secs that she stays.

I think she is just easily excited and I need to let her know that attacking faces isn't a friendly act!

I think she is just easily excited and I need to let her know that attacking faces isn't a friendly act!

I think your guests also need to know that putting your face close to a dog's face is a very dominant/threatening behaviour from a stranger. I suggest you keep her on lead and get her to sit for a pat and allow her time to get to know people before they get anywhere close to her face with theirs. If they wouldn't do this to a large breed, adult dog, they shouldn't do it to your pup.

I still recommend some dog training for your pup. It will will help develop bonds of trust and respect between you.

Edited by poodlefan