Vegetarian Pigs Ears

Went to a pet shop today and saw they had vegetarian pigs ears...never seen them b4 and sorry if there is a thread already.......Does anyone know what they are made of ??? and are they ok for puppies ........ i know they taste like vegiemite.. ;)

i feed them to my dogs all the time, they perfer them now over real pigs ears. I will ask the sales rep again next time she is in what they are made from exactly (somthing makes me think sweet potato, but i will need to double check i could be thinking of somthing else) i do know they are 100% natural.

i feed them to my dogs all the time, they perfer them now over real pigs ears. I will ask the sales rep again next time she is in what they are made from exactly (somthing makes me think sweet potato, but i will need to double check i could be thinking of somthing else) i do know they are 100% natural.

There are some that are made of sweet potatoe but I haven't found them yet. My dogs love the vegetarian ones, but they don't last long. I used them as a treat, really, not something they can chew on for ages unfortunately.

I've been trying to find something they can chew on and enjoy. See my thread on Rawhide Chews:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=169505

Edited by _Cynthia_

There are some that are made of sweet potatoe but I haven't found them yet. My dogs love the vegetarian ones, but they don't last long. I used them as a treat, really, not something they can chew on for ages unfortunately.

I've been trying to find something they can chew on and enjoy. See my thread on Rawhide Chews:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=169505

Thought so thanks Cynthia, knew i was not going mad, well not yet :thumbsup:

Thanks you all for the reply..Im glad they are natural...Choco loved his and they even double as fairy ears :thumbsup::rofl: I will buys these again....,.,if you have any other chews for a 8.5 lab puppy please let me know.....Sam

I saw this in a pet shop too, very strange at the time I thought. My dog eats through a pig ear in a minute or less, so it's not much of a time waster for him unfortunately, sounds like he's even be quicker on the vego ones.

Did you get some for yoru dog?

Thought so thanks Cynthia, knew i was not going mad, well not yet :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I saw something about them in the latest Urban Animal - I think I still have it and I will take another look. Their article on treats and the processes some go through horrified me. I always look at where things are made now and buy only Australia and check the processes the food has been subjected to.

I saw this in a pet shop too, very strange at the time I thought. My dog eats through a pig ear in a minute or less, so it's not much of a time waster for him unfortunately, sounds like he's even be quicker on the vego ones.

Did you get some for yoru dog?

i got one to start of with and he loved it...i have since brought more for treats...With the great feed back with the ingredients ill keep buying them.I have to travel 40 mins to get them as i have not seen them down my way.... :thumbsup:

Thought so thanks Cynthia, knew i was not going mad, well not yet :shrug:

I'm pretty sure I saw something about them in the latest Urban Animal - I think I still have it and I will take another look. Their article on treats and the processes some go through horrified me. I always look at where things are made now and buy only Australia and check the processes the food has been subjected to.

I found Urban Animal and the mention of sweet potato is: "And yes, there are even sweet potato treats that are vegetarian."

I have been googling without finding a supplier here, but in a forum someone asked how to make them. One response was to just slice the sweet potato and put it in the dehydrator. Now, not having a dehydrator ( :thumbsup::rofl: ) I was wondering whether I could do them in the oven and at what temperature would they be dehydrating and not cooking ??

I really have to find some good, cheap, fat free, nutritious treats for the dogs that keep them busy :eek:

Thought so thanks Cynthia, knew i was not going mad, well not yet :)

I found Urban Animal and the mention of sweet potato is: "And yes, there are even sweet potato treats that are vegetarian."

I have been googling without finding a supplier here, but in a forum someone asked how to make them. One response was to just slice the sweet potato and put it in the dehydrator. Now, not having a dehydrator ( :laugh::eek: ) I was wondering whether I could do them in the oven and at what temperature would they be dehydrating and not cooking ??

I really have to find some good, cheap, fat free, nutritious treats for the dogs that keep them busy :eek:

60-100 degrees so basically as low as your oven will go while still being on, put them on the bottom shelf in the oven and leave them in there for hours and hours and hours! (all day). I have made treats for my dogs using very thinly sliced liver and meat in this method, not sure if sweet potato would be quicker then meat i assume so, i have never tried it with vegies might give it a go, might try doing some fruit as well.

60-100 degrees so basically as low as your oven will go while still being on, put them on the bottom shelf in the oven and leave them in there for hours and hours and hours! (all day). I have made treats for my dogs using very thinly sliced liver and meat in this method, not sure if sweet potato would be quicker then meat i assume so, i have never tried it with vegies might give it a go, might try doing some fruit as well.

WOW im hungry now.. :) thanks tho for the help....

I really have to find some good, cheap, fat free, nutritious treats for the dogs that keep them busy :)

Hey Cynthia - I found Venison Ears in PetStock a few weeks back - they are listed as being fat free .... about the same price as the pigs ears (I got a bag of 10 for just under $20) and Morty likes them ..... takes the same length of time for him to eat them .... maybe these might fit the bill?

:thumbsup: Really? the thought of dehyrated liver jerky does not really do it for me, but hey, whatever gets you off :p :thumbsup:

:laugh::rofl::) OOPPS.......was meant to say cause of food talk...My folks eat liver so im sorta use to that talk... :) :)

I have seen the sweet potato dog treats - they are dehydrated and have a chicken strip wrapped around them - but they are from China and I just dont trust any treats from there anymore.

We buy treats from an ebay shop called Dog-food-2-U quite a lot, they are really good and the cow hooves in particular last my 2 dogs for about 10+ days each! Bargain! :hug: They are really cheap too - and I think they are the people that supply a lot of stuff to the big stores because I have seen their name on prices tags at petbarn