Bush's Diced Beef Mince

Our 8 yo maltese just had some dental work (some teeth pulled) and vet wants her fed on raw meat only for a few days.

So I bought a tray of Bush's diced beef mince from Coles because it looked good but though she normally loves raw meat of any sort and chicken necks etc, she wont even touch this Bush stuff. Has a sniff and walks away.

I sort of dont blame the dog for not going for it as when I took a good wiff there doesn't seem to be any meat smell at all. :shrug: Anybody here know how they make the stuff? I confess to stuffing up and not reading the "mince" part and thought it was actually diced beef :o - I wanted her to have something to chew on - but I'm still baffled why she wont even nibble it once.

Its full of preservatives and god knows what else. Just buy some diced beef if thats what you want her to have. Or get some steak and dice it up yourself. Alternatively get some pet chicken mince from leonards or another chicken shop.

Pet grade mince does not have any of the health regulations that human grade meat has.

Just buy normal meat from a butcher as I would never eat any meat from Coles or Woolworths

as it is pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and is no good for anyone.

I have read research saying that meat with those additives is likely to be slowing humans metabolisms

and could be a major cause of obesity.

Plus it is much more expensive than meat from a good butcher.

Let us know how she goes with normal meat

Pet grade mince does not have any of the health regulations that human grade meat has.

Just buy normal meat from a butcher as I would never eat any meat from Coles or Woolworths

I have read research saying that meat with those additives is likely to be slowing humans metabolisms

and could be a major cause of obesity.

Plus it is much more expensive than meat from a good butcher.

Let us know how she goes with normal meat

This is a myth... it is not legal for meat to be sold for human consumption, to contain any hormones or antibiotics.

Myth Busted: Australian Chickens Remain Free of Hormones and Antibiotics

Tuesday, 11 December 2007

The 2006-07 National Residue Survey has again proven that Australian chicken meat is free from hormonal, antibiotic and environmental contaminant residues.

The annual survey conducted by the Federal Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) tests for 40 different contaminants each of which were completely undetected in all samples. These results are consistent each year.

The Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) Chicken Meat Group President Mike Shaw said that the findings were not surprising to chicken growers, considering the use of hormones have been banned in Australian poultry production since the 1960s and antibiotics are used sparingly and only for specific animal health purposes.

Edited by stormie

The Bush's stuff doesn't even look like meat once you take the plastic wrap off.....it looks more like blood soaked bits of polystyrene. I bought it once and ended up mixing it with chicken and beef mince, veges, eggs, cheese etc....the usual mix I make up for the dogs, It got rid of the Bush's and made the mince mixture go a bit further but I've never bought it again.

Rubbish. It all comes from the same abbattiors.....there's absolutely no difference in the carcasses. Some are delivered to the butchers shops, other are delivered to supermarkets to be butchered and packaged for their meat departments.

Sheesh, I know the owner of an abbattiors who has a contract for meat at Coles and also delivers to butcher shops and he'd laugh himself silly to see that. The health regulations for abbattiors have nearly sent him broke.

Thanks for the responses .... I bought some blade steak and chicken necks (her favourite) today :(

Surprisingly I had to hand feed her both times today, she wouldnt eat out of her food dish .. she normally wolfs the chicken necks down :laugh:

She's been very odd these last few days, frequently walks around whining (stops when you you pick her up), doesn't want to be on her own at all and nearly needs to be dragged outside to go for her walks(s).

I wonder if she's going through what I've heard called a "false pregnancy"" :cry:

Thanks for the responses .... I bought some blade steak and chicken necks (her favourite) today :(

Surprisingly I had to hand feed her both times today, she wouldnt eat out of her food dish .. she normally wolfs the chicken necks down :laugh:

She's been very odd these last few days, frequently walks around whining (stops when you you pick her up), doesn't want to be on her own at all and nearly needs to be dragged outside to go for her walks(s).

I wonder if she's going through what I've heard called a "false pregnancy"" :cry:

If she's 8 years old, off colour and entire, I'd be headed for the vets. She may have pyometra.