Bad Gas

Oscar (AmBull)

Oscar has been absolutely stinking out the house with his farts :) . When I say bad they are bad, they don't linger to much thankfully however are rather often, esp at night.

He eats purina pro plan puppy, chicken based meatloaf, chicken necks wings carcusses.

And he just dropped another :) , it seems to be while he is sleeping mainly, and is driving me insane!

Is it his diet? Or is he just a gassy dog? :)

I do still want to feed Dry food, is there one you could recommend? I have tried yoghurt once and he didn't like it, but I will give it another go. We are looking to change the meat loaf over to just chicken and kangaroo mince? Is kangaroo mince ok for him? He does has sensitive skin so will this make a difference? Thanks so much for the help.

Sounds like you are feeding to many grains. The pasta in the meat loaf and the grains in the dry food. Do they make a pet mince with just meat, bone and vegies in it?

The only problem that some dogs have with kangaroo is that it can be to rich for their tummies. Get some kangaroo meat and see how he goes with it.

What is the problem with his skin?

The place that sells the meatloaf sells kangaroo mince and chicken mince. I thought to much grain may be the case. He doesn't really seem to enjoy anything he eats, except the chicken necks, wings etc.

I think he just has sensitive skin, he seems to bite and scratch a fair bit and he doesn't have fleas. I was told it could be beef so have cut out all beef yet he does still seems to scratch a little. Not a terrible amont just as much as if he had fleas but have had him flead several times and had the vet check.

We are considering changing dry food. Possibly Royal Canin?

The place that sells the meatloaf sells kangaroo mince and chicken mince. I thought to much grain may be the case. He doesn't really seem to enjoy anything he eats, except the chicken necks, wings etc.

I think he just has sensitive skin, he seems to bite and scratch a fair bit and he doesn't have fleas. I was told it could be beef so have cut out all beef yet he does still seems to scratch a little. Not a terrible amont just as much as if he had fleas but have had him flead several times and had the vet check.

We are trialing Royal Canin Medium Junior on our boy now .... he had bad gas when he was on supercoat but we have noticed he isn't half as gassy now. He also has sensitive skin with flaking not sure if that’s changed on the new food but we have only started introducing the new food a few days ago, I can let you know though. We also feed him mince and yoghurt and also sardines once a week...

Good Luck... :-)

Edited by Nichole

flead him "several times" - how old is the pup, how often are you applying it, what product are you using? Also, he could be reacting to something in his environment - change his blankets to a different type, wash them in something other than the usual washing powder, what have you been using in the way of floor cleaners? Also, different grasses can make them react, sprays on grasses, fertiliser on the lawn etc etc etc etc Also some dogs with a slight sensativity get in the habit of licking a chewing which causes the skin to be more sensitive even after the allergen is removed, so in effect they're making themselves itchy by itching.

My beef-sensitive bitch is also roo sensitive so maybe drop roo and try for chicken turkey fish and lamb (OK maybe one at a time but these are usually not too bad). Dry food can do weird things, my sensitive one can eat Supercoat but reacts to Royal Canin and Eagle Pack :)

I'd give the premium ones a trial and see what works, try to get trial sized packs or get ones with a right of return.

Edited by Sandra777

You might also just have a gassy one!!

Orbit is on an all raw diet and gets probiotics too, and he gets gas often. I find some meats are worse - lamb for example gives him really stinky ones. As does broccoli!!

When he was on dry food, I actually found the higher quality foods like Eagle Pack Holistics and Artemis made him worse.

Mr Fluffy is gassy also... Mainly at night when he is sleeping under the covers. I shift the blanket and get a nosefull!! I keep having to check he hasnt actually gone to the toilet down there.. Ewww!!

Persoanlly I think he just likes the smell of his own stink.. :)

I will keep an eye on this thread for tips.. Might change his food...

Cheers

I do still want to feed Dry food, is there one you could recommend? I have tried yoghurt once and he didn't like it, but I will give it another go. We are looking to change the meat loaf over to just chicken and kangaroo mince? Is kangaroo mince ok for him? He does has sensitive skin so will this make a difference? Thanks so much for the help.

my Boston had dreadful gas. i changed her food to eagle pack holistic duck and added some yoghurt now the gas is less and no where near so smelly

Nichole: be great if you could let me know how your pup goes on Royal Canin, thanks.

all the fun stuff: We did mix the yoghurt through but that was when we first got him and with a different kind of dry, will give it another go. Also he has only ever had the one egg, so no eggs are not a regular part in his diet.

Sandra777: When I said several times it has felt like a lot more than it has actually been twice. He is 14 Weeks and he has been flead twice, once with frontline once with revolution both applied by the vet. I was sure it had been fleas but it can't be. What blankets do you recommend? We are looking at getting him like a lambs wool soon for his new bed, is that appropriate? We just use a standard floor cleaner, mostly carpet in the house sometimes we sprinkle the powder stuff down before we vaccuum. And a normal like pino clean on the kitchen floors and bathroom. I think we will just stick to the chicken mince then for now. Just where we live it is hard to source things and I am not sure where to get other mince types, I may phone around. He is currently on Purina Pro Plan which is meant to be premium but we are pretty sure we will change.

Thanks so much for all the responses.

Two of the most common allergens for dogs are wheat and beef. One of them (or both) may be giving your dog the itchies.

Soy is notorious for causing gas and a pretty common additive to pet foods. Sulphite preservatives, along with the potential to cause serious vitamin deficiencies are also likely to cause a stink.

I'd be switching this dog to a sensitive skin kibble (best you can afford) that contains no soy products and feeding more chicken on the bone.. no need to feed mince at all.

ETA: I would not be suggesting a lambs wool bed for this dog.. lanolin contained in sheeps wool is another common allergen.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks poodlefan, I will stay away from the lamb's wool. The issue with dry is that I have yet to find a sensitive puppy formula in any brand? And where we live we do not have much variety. We can get Hill science, royal canin, nutrience, proplan, advance, eukubra.

He is 14 Weeks and he has been flead twice, once with frontline once with revolution both applied by the vet. I was sure it had been fleas but it can't be. What blankets do you recommend? We are looking at getting him like a lambs wool soon for his new bed, is that appropriate?

If you've had him since 8 weeks and he's had flea treatment applied to him twice by the vet I just gotta ask - how much of the vet clinic do you own :rofl: Two applications in 6 weeks is bordering on more than I would be comfortable with. Check him for fleas (they will be VERY easy to spot on a whitey) and if he doesn't have any do not put any more chemicals on him until you've got his itchies sorted. If you have tick issues go for another option...

Blankets - well that's really a matter of trial and error. Plain cotton sheets with a cotton baby blanket cuddly type thing would be "safest" in most cases. I use a lot of those fleece blankets and don't have a problem, but they don't wear well with puppies. Go through your local salvos and see what choices you have. Almost without exception natural fibres are best, except for pure wool which will react with some (I'm allergic to wool myself)

sometimes we sprinkle the powder stuff down before we vaccuum.

hmmmm have had a number of dogs over time who itch like mad when that stuff's around. There's natural alternatives..

And a normal like pino clean on the kitchen floors and bathroom.

Again, there are natural alternatives. Or even just use hot soapy water for a couple of weeks and see if makes any difference.

I think we will just stick to the chicken mince then for now. Just where we live it is hard to source things and I am not sure where to get other mince types,

Supermarket or butcher. Just use human grade food to start with. Nope, not cheap in some cases but if it helps you know you're on the right track

Thanks poodlefan, I will stay away from the lamb's wool. The issue with dry is that I have yet to find a sensitive puppy formula in any brand? And where we live we do not have much variety. We can get Hill science, royal canin, nutrience, proplan, advance, eukubra.

Look for a rice based food with no beef..

White dogs are, unfortunately, more prone to sensitive skin. I agree with Sandra777 that you should start limiting the amount of chemicals you use around the house and check your garden carefully for wandering jew.

We have had him since he was 6 weeks. And the flea treatment I bought from the vets, first time asked vet nurse to apply, second time was when he had his shots done by the vet so vet put on the treatment. He doesn't have fleas, have checked several times. I will limit the chemicals we have and just start watching him extremely closely in the yard. Thanks again.

We have had him since he was 6 weeks. And the flea treatment I bought from the vets, first time asked vet nurse to apply, second time was when he had his shots done by the vet so vet put on the treatment. He doesn't have fleas, have checked several times. I will limit the chemicals we have and just start watching him extremely closely in the yard. Thanks again.

And if there was ever going to be a trigger for an immune response to chemicals that double whammy would be it. :rofl:

If your dog doesn't have fleas NAO... don't use preventatives. Its usually not all that necessary unless you have an issue with roaming cats.