My Dogs Have Kennel Cough

I run my own small boarding kennel and therefore very careful about how we handle the conditions of the kennels. After 11 years of operation we haven't had a case of kennel cough (touch wood) There are lots of different strains of kennel cough. some mild some more vigorous. Often there is no rhythm or reason as to what dog is affected.

For example, one friend with five dogs had two dogs catch kennel cough and the other three never had a problem even though they were housed together in a back yard.

Kennel Cough can also be airborne therefore difficult to eliminate. Like with humans who are prone to laryngitis or tonsillitis some dogs can be more prone to kc. However the good news is that dogs in good health and vigor usually don't catch kc. Older dogs and pups can be more susceptible.

There are three things I would advise for future: ( from my experience of course - nothing scientific ).

1. Be careful about using any strong cleaning the dog kennels. Dogs noses are over 100 times more sensitive than humans and chemicals can irritate dogs and make them more susceptible. To clean pens it is best to use pressure wash or steam cleaners.

2. Ensure your kennels have good ventilation. Concrete can appear clean but can habour germs especially damp concrete. Direct sun on the concrete has the potential to help reduce this.

3. Dogs who spend a lot of time stress barking will be at greater risk. Hence the reason dogs will often encounter kc at kennels.

Hope your pups are getting better.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless my dogs show signs of secondary infection I wouldn't even take them to the vet with KC

Secondary infection? the vet didn't mention anything about infections..

What are the symptoms of this?

Unless my dogs show signs of secondary infection I wouldn't even take them to the vet with KC

Secondary infection? the vet didn't mention anything about infections..

What are the symptoms of this?

They probably don't have an infection, just another successful attempt to earn a bit more cash from a client...

Kennel Cough can also be airborne therefore difficult to eliminate. Like with humans who are prone to laryngitis or tonsillitis some dogs can be more prone to kc. However the good news is that dogs in good health and vigor usually don't catch kc. Older dogs and pups can be more susceptible.

That is simply not true. Dogs in very good health can catch mild viruses and frequently do. Just like healthy, vigorous human beings catch a cold from time to time.

It's difficult to "eliminate" kennel cough because dogs usually catch it from making close facial contact with other dogs, mostly before they exhibit symptoms. The virus tends to be passed around in areas where many dogs gather or are housed - hence the name. Having kennel cough doesn't mean that you're kennels aren't clean. Certainly, secretions which are coughed onto the cement should be dealt with but besides that, using F10 and bleach is next to useless. This isn't parvo we're talking about!

Kennel cough is just like the human cold or mild flu - sure there is a vaccine to cover it but it won't cover all strains all the time and no matter what we do, if a dog contacts an infected dog, there is a strong possibility that the virus will be picked up by the well dog.

My three got a dose of KC last time they were boarded. They get over it fine. The only problems you may have are in already sick or aged animals or when a secondary infection strikes. :laugh:

I use benadryl dry cough mixture for the cough and give them plain ordinary honey with their meals. Keep them warm (not a problem here in Darwin!) and dry. If they don't improve within a week or two, or if they display any further symptoms, see the vet...otherwise it's self-curing just like a cold.

I'm surprised that a vet would firstly tell anyone that a vaccinated dog won't get KC and secondly that you would be charged for two consults if the dogs were brought in together. But I guess every vet is different. :laugh:

Kyra:

We have just moved from Perth to the middle of nowhere on an acerage so most likely got it from here or the river a few k's away that we've been taking them to.

Nope, its airborne transmission.. they would have needed to be in close contact with another dog.. hence the name "kennel cough".

Have they met any new dogs or stayed in kennels? A dog doesn't need to be displaying symptoms of the disease to be spreading it.

Vaccinating against KC is a waste of money.

It does not prevent infection because it never covers all strains of the virus.

Fortunately, most infections are disgusting to look at (cough, gag, puke etc) but fairly mild and just like a common cold in humans. Benadryl as has been suggested is good for relief of symptoms, give them opportunity to rest and a warm, draught free bed at night. We have also found the old-fashioned Bonningtons Irish Moss cough medicine extremely good.

This too will pass and at least your dogs will be resistant to future infection for some time to come. (Often several years or permanently in older dogs.) Seems to be much more effective than vaccination. :laugh:

Have they met any new dogs or stayed in kennels? A dog doesn't need to be displaying symptoms of the disease to be spreading it.

Not really, only thing i can think of is when my fences broke down and Brodie ended up in the pound (he has no symptoms though) or a few weeks ago when the neighbours kelpie got into our block.

Little dude doesn't look too good at the moment, I'm about to feed him, wonder if he'll eat.

Tyson is definitely coping better, little dude is wheezing aswell. :laugh:

Not really, only thing i can think of is when my fences broke down and Brodie ended up in the pound (he has no symptoms though) or a few weeks ago when the neighbours kelpie got into our block.

There's your likely source of the KC. As I said, dogs can be contagious and display no symptoms. The incubation period is normally between about 7-14? days from memory. You should consider all dogs in your home as potentially infected and quarantine all of them until 21 days after the last dog displays symptoms.

Edited by poodlefan

Willow recently had a bout of KC, shes on her last pill now :laugh:

Our vet told us when we took her in that the kennel cough part of the vaccine (c5) only lasts a maximum of 9 months, which is about how long ago she had her c5, so it adds up.

She was really sick the first few days, even though it was only upper respiratory. She was reverse sneezing every 5 minutes :laugh: Shes back to the same old willow now though *sighs* :)

Glad to hear Willow recovered nicely :)

Little dude has spent most of the day asleep on his bed, I really hope the coughing stops soon, i hate hearing him all wheezy and horrible. :laugh:

Tyson hasn't coughed for about 2 hours now :thumbsup:

Our vet told us when we took her in that the kennel cough part of the vaccine (c5) only lasts a maximum of 9 months, which is about how long ago she had her c5, so it adds up.

Or the fact that Canine Cough vaccine does not stop them from getting either of the two strains it vaccinates it for, nor the other numerous strains of cough it doesn't cover them for at all.

Never heard of the "nine month" theory before.

Edited by Erny

Mate, 2 of mine caught it from the vet a couple of days after their last vac, they also were given a C5. This was only in the last few weeks. My oldest is 2.5years old and he had it when he was 7 weeks old, it was the Renbury KC, with the green snot and hacking up crap. He was never in Renbury, I had bought it home on my clothing....Now he has it again. So it has been proven that once they have it, they can get it again, it doesn't matter how many vac's they have had.

I used to give my rescue guys Yakult and give them childrens cough mixture, but not the one with a suppressant, as if they are chesty you want them to bring it up... Something more to sooth it. Vitamin C works, and a few more vegies in their diet.

The vet used to give us Doxy for them, its a great anitbiotic which is also used in humans for anti malaria.

Nickojoy - KC is NOT A chesty cough. It's a croupy throaty cough (the seal bark sound). If their lungs aren't clear and they are hacking up green stuff then it's a secondary infection. Dogs with KC gag up clear/pink frothy stuff from their throat and upper airway.

I am never an advocate for stopping the process of what is natural and I agree that lung secretions shouldn't be suppressed, but in this case the secretions are not from the lung. The cough is from airway irritation.

Now kyra has it! she was coughing when i woke up this morning, someone has put a curse on me i swear :happydance2: all my dogs have kennel cough and one of my cats has cat flu.

At this rate my weeks pay will be going on vet fees :shakehead: