Advice For Stopping Jumping Up When We Are Sitting Down

ButerflyGirl

Boof who is 13 weeks old (had him now for about 4 weeks) is going good with learning things, and generally knows not to jump up, knows he needs to sit before his food, and before play (ie throwing a ball/toy, allowed to play tug with his rope - his favourite). We have just started working on the drop which after a day or two is starting to get the hang of it, he will sometimes do "shake hands" on comand. But the problem that we have is that we enjoy sitting outside of an afternoon/evening, and as soon as we sit down he comes and jumps all over us, and it doesnt matter how much play/training he has had beforehand, he can seem pooped and be lying on his bed, and as soon as we sit down he's up and being a ratbag again. We tried pushing him away but that was just seen as a game, I've tried calmly grabbing him by the shoulders and pushing him down and getting him to sit but then he is back at it again, ignoring him doesnt work because he just sits there or starts chewing on us, the only solution is to stand up (its not an issue while we are standing up), or to ignore him and go inside (our version of time out).

At puppy preschool last week they talked about grabbing puppies by the muzzle or by the back of the neck like the mother would do when they went too far, but that seems like a game to him aswell.

Is there anything else that we can try or do we just perservere with the standing up and ignoring him, and then as a last resort ignoring him and making "us" dissapear as punnishment?

Vanessa

I'm sure many will disagree but i believe the stand up/ sit down method often teaches pups that they can make you move- kind of like having a puppet on a string and it therefore becomes reinforcing in itself.

I would start with some training with a food reward in hand, held above the pup while you are seated. Remain perfectly still while the pup jumps up and tries to get the reward- wait and be patient. Pup will eventually put all 4 paws on the ground and you can reward. Build up the duration gradually with the treat then held closer to the pup- as the pup jumps, remove food reward, when the pup shows self control and does not jump- give the food reward.

Once you have done this and the pup understands the best way to get your attention is to have all four paws on the ground, if you still have problems, you may then introduce some kind of correction. This will need to be well timed, as soon as the pups paws leave the ground and occur without you having to stand up. You will need to be clear, calm and assertive so that it is clearly not a game. Did your puppy school instructor demonstrate how to give a correction?

I'd just have pup on lead and collar. Have spot where pup may lay (ie mat) close enough to your chair. You sit down and simply hold the lead close enough to the collar to prevent him from making any jump up attempts towards you. Wait it out and essentially otherwise ignore him. He'll get sick of it if he's not getting anywhere. If he starts trying to mouth the hand that's holding the lead, either close your hand to a tight fist to make it harder for him or move your hand through to the top of his collar where he can't reach it.

When he does give up on trying, leave it for another minute and whilst he is still on his mat not trying to get up on you, slip him a treat without too much fuss. Then be ready to do it all over again. He needs to work out the 'pattern' and that only comes with repetitions.

Edited by Erny

You are already working on sit and drop with you standing up. Now you need to work on the same commands when you are sitting so that he knows the same rules apply no matter what postion you are in. When you sit down have treats ready and command him to sit or drop and reward when he does it. It is always much easier to command a dog to do something than it is to train it to not do something. If his bum is on the ground he cannot be jumping at the same time. The only reprimand I would use is to growl at him if he jumps, but if you time your commands and rewards properly he will not have the opportunity to jump and will learn that you sitting is his command to sit or drop near you.

Don't forget to keep praising him at regular intervals for remaining calm as many people forget about the dog when it is behaving and then reprimand when it is not. If he is sitting or lying down quietly you may think you are praising him for doing nothing but you are in fact praising the behaviour you are trying to achieve.

If you later want to allow him to be a lap dog you can specifically train him to jump on your lap when you say so and to get down when commanded as well.

If you later want to allow him to be a lap dog you can specifically train him to jump on your lap when you say so and to get down when commanded as well.

;) already he is too big to be a lap dog, and he is only 3 months old, I dont think my lap is strong enough to put up with a full grown Boof, vet thinks he will grow to be around the 35-40kg mark

spray bottle ... say UH UH and spray in the face with water then ignore him until he settles. No point trying to get anything through to that bouncing puppy brain of his until he settles :thumbsup:

Thank you so very much for this advice, I tried it this morning, I had the spray bottle on mist to start with (I use it for giving my cockatiels a shower) which did nothing but turned onto the stream, straight between the eyes he was down and wiping his face with his paws and then sitting looking at me as if to say "what was that for?"he only tried it once more and as soon as I reached for the bottle he was sitting nicely, almost as if I had a handfull of treats. From then on he came and sat at my feet and just looked up at me with big sad CALM puppy dog eyes, which I gave him lots of pats and "good boy"s, he even just layed down at my feet if he didn't get attention straight away. Secretly I was tessting him ;)

I understand what you mean about that "bouncing puppy brain" when he is in that state he will not listen to anything, so frustrating!!!

:laugh: already he is too big to be a lap dog, and he is only 3 months old, I dont think my lap is strong enough to put up with a full grown Boof, vet thinks he will grow to be around the 35-40kg mark

OK :laugh: I didn't notice the x Rotti bit in your signature. My BCs are technically too big at 18-25kgs, to be lap dogs but they don't realise that. They love an invitation to hop up on the lounge next to me and drape their front end over my lap for a cuddle, so there is more than one way to be a lap dog. :)

Anyway glad to hear that you have had some success with the spray bottle, now just follow up with the commands and praise and you will have a well behaved Boof in no time.

I dont believe in having to teach everything to a command. When you sit outside the dog is to settle down. He can sit, drop, stretch out etc but he has to settle. If he arcs up again spray - UH UH and ignore him until he's doing what you want.

he only tried it once more and as soon as I reached for the bottle he was sitting nicely,

This is ok- but I prefer to use water sprays etc in a way that makes it appear humans did NOT apply the aversive. :laugh: The ACTION of the dog set off the spray, or whatever...

The reason?

i don't want my dog to expect something unwelcome when I pick up a spray bottle ....

You may want to get a small water pistol- and have it with you all the time. spray when he cannot see the pistol... and do not accompany it with eye contact or any overt movement....or praise if he drops. add a few drops of vinegar to the water ,too :laugh:

Agree with nekhbet - a lot of the way dogs behave should be in response to human body language- not a spoken command/direction every time .

Edited by persephone

he only tried it once more and as soon as I reached for the bottle he was sitting nicely,

This is ok- but I prefer to use water sprays etc in a way that makes it appear humans did NOT apply the aversive. :laugh: The ACTION of the dog set off the spray, or whatever...

The reason?

i don't want my dog to expect something unwelcome when I pick up a spray bottle ....

You may want to get a small water pistol- and have it with you all the time. spray when he cannot see the pistol... and do not accompany it with eye contact or any overt movement....or praise if he drops. add a few drops of vinegar to the water ,too :)

Agree with nekhbet - a lot of the way dogs behave should be in response to human body language- not a spoken command/direction every time .

I was only just thinking about a water pistol this morning, for the whole association with the spray bottle thing, because I know he is a smart dog even if he is only a young puppy.

If we have treats, he is ultra good, very eager to please us, but I want him to be good without having to have treats. My reason is that I dont want him to associate his bad behaviours with treats. ie he is naughty, we go get treats he then behaves to get treats, so him being naughty is a trigger for us to go and get treats and for him to be rewarded. I want to train him not him train us :laugh:

Thanks again for the advice