Advice For A Friends Dog -

Hi there,

Hoping someone can offer some advice.

One of my mates has a 7 month old Border Collie. He is super hyperactive. (Against my advice and persistance she purchased him from a byb so no idea if he is just excitable or if he has issues)

He is very focused when it comes to tricks/balls/sticks etc but he has been very hard for her to train in obedience. Basic sit/stay/drop is ok but no where near 100%.

This has a lot to do with her being inconsistant and not spending the time on it. I actually find it very frustrating and have suggested she gets one on one training. Due to cost she says its not feesable right now.

Anyway, he has a major problem at the traiffic lights. She will have him on the lead walking up to the road, tells him to sit. He goes crazy. He is so excited to cross the road that he starts jumping, crying, barking and creates quite a scene. When he hears the button go off to cross the road he gets seriously out of control.

The very scary thing is that today he slipped out of his collar and ran across a main road.

Im no expert but thought someone might be able to offer advice?

(I find it very frustrating when she tells me about her problems with him when I have already given her the advice to get some proper training)

Thanks

Is it the sound of the cars that give him a fright or something?

If he's slipping his collar the first thing I would suggest is to get him a limited slip/martingale collar ASAP. At least that way he can't slip his collar again.

Is there a reason why she won't consult a trainer about his problems?

I think at first she thought she could do the training herself.

She is slowly getting more and more frustrated with him (loves him very much though)

I have told her that in getting a trainer she will be able to enjoy him so much more.

To give you an idea on the level he is on with her - he walked in the the lounge room whilst she was on the ground stretching and peed on her :laugh:

She has to ask him 3 times to do anything. If she says sit and he drops, she figures thats close enough. Its hard to watch.

Sorry this post is turning into a vent!

I dont think its the cars are frightening him I think crossing the road has become a game to him in some way.

I will check out the martingale collar thanks.

I know several working breed dogs that go nuts at traffic lights, apparently because of the noise when the crossing goes green.

Desensitization has worked with these dogs, but if your friend can't get sit and drop right, desensitization is unlikely to work.

I know several working breed dogs that go nuts at traffic lights, apparently because of the noise when the crossing goes green.

Desensitization has worked with these dogs, but if your friend can't get sit and drop right, desensitization is unlikely to work.

Thanks Dogs4Fun,

I think I need to get tough with her and say im not giving her anymore advice until she gets some proffesional help.

It makes me so cranky because shes a smart, normally sensible girl!

Yes definitely professional help. There's no shame in seeking help with a dog problem. Unfortunately lots of people think they just should be able to deal with their dog- would be like me saying i just should be able to fix my plumbing or electrics. :laugh:

Yes definitely professional help. There's no shame in seeking help with a dog problem. Unfortunately lots of people think they just should be able to deal with their dog- would be like me saying i just should be able to fix my plumbing or electrics. :laugh:

She asked me for advice on this so I have just emailed her some of your comments.

Thanks everyone.

Its a time and money thing for her. I question whether she should have gotten a dog without enough of both.

Cosmolo she is in Port Melbourne, is that somewhere you do private lessons?

if the dog has peed on her the dog has no respect for her at all. Same with the cars the dog is exhibiting prey drive and her lack of control and probably stress and frustration exacerbates the problem. Same with the button. Herding breeds seem to be great at this, my Malinois occasionally in the back of the car tries to jump at a car or bike that really zips bye so has a woof!

professional help is a number one. She needs help with control, suppress some of that prey drive and have some ground rules with the dog so he knows that no matter HOW MUCH he wants that car he's not allowed to.

if the dog has peed on her the dog has no respect for her at all. Same with the cars the dog is exhibiting prey drive and her lack of control and probably stress and frustration exacerbates the problem. Same with the button. Herding breeds seem to be great at this, my Malinois occasionally in the back of the car tries to jump at a car or bike that really zips bye so has a woof!

professional help is a number one. She needs help with control, suppress some of that prey drive and have some ground rules with the dog so he knows that no matter HOW MUCH he wants that car he's not allowed to.

Yup he owns her. I jokingly told her that she was his b*tch. I think she knows I meant it.

If my husband is there and tells him what to do he listens to him. I dont know if its his deeper voice or the fact that he wont put up with his ingoring him. Maybe both?

Time for an expert.

it can be a male thing, and the dog is seeing her as more his possession then leader, and is 'hanging out in the boys club' ... basically the dog is being a cheuvanistic pig :laugh:

is the dog desexed at all? better NOW before he really hits adulthood. If he's pee'd on her at this age he needs desexing ASAP.

it can be a male thing, and the dog is seeing her as more his possession then leader, and is 'hanging out in the boys club' ... basically the dog is being a cheuvanistic pig :laugh:

is the dog desexed at all? better NOW before he really hits adulthood. If he's pee'd on her at this age he needs desexing ASAP.

Thats interesting. Bloody boys.

No he isnt desexed. She was waiting for a testicle to drop which happened a few weeks ago.

He always goes outside to pee normally and then last week we were over with our dog. Right in the middle of the lounge room he decides to pee!

She said he hadnt done this since he was a pup (apart from once about 3 months ago)

Regarding the day he peed on her - Could it be retaliation? She said this particular day she could only take him for his morning walk (about 5:30am). She was then out all day and didnt get home until late about 10pm. :laugh:

I can't imagine what I'd do with a dog that decided to mark on me, but I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty. :laugh: Even though I'm normally a pretty laid back person, there's simply no way I'd put up with a dog thinking that was acceptable!

To me, it really sounds like she can't handle this dog by herself, and she needs professional help to learn some training strategies that will work for her and this dog.

I can't imagine what I'd do with a dog that decided to mark on me, but I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty. :laugh: Even though I'm normally a pretty laid back person, there's simply no way I'd put up with a dog thinking that was acceptable!

To me, it really sounds like she can't handle this dog by herself, and she needs professional help to learn some training strategies that will work for her and this dog.

Oh she cracked it alright!

She trains him sporadically and isnt consistant with her comands. He dog just doesnt take her seriously.

She will tell him to sit, he does, then she walks off, he then gets up and breaks his sit without her telling him. He then thinks he can do what he wants when he wants.

( well im not a trainer but thats what I think!)

depends what she wants ... does she want an obedience champion or a quiet pet?

sometimes people get too caught up in obedience tricks and dont end up actually making a dent in the dogs attitude. I teach those things secondary to control, attitude and behavior NOT as a preliminary step. I also dont insist on strict times to consciously stand there and train the dog tricks. Do it as part of your life! He wants his dinner - there's an opportunity. Wants attention - another opportunity. Walk time - another. Easier for the owner too and creates good habits in both parties :o especially those people who have trouble dedicating themselves to a structured routine :shrug:

peeing on her ... could be anything. The fact she came home late he could have been showing his displeasure at HER not sticking to HIS routine and hence he asserted the fact she is a possession to him. He does sound like he has more testosterone then he needs so OFF WITH HIS GOOLIES!!! :laugh::(:rofl:

I will say one thing though ... in my house doggies dont listen really to their daddy :cry: bit or a role reversal :o although the malinois WILL mother him like a puppy and make goo goo eyes at him

She just wants to be in control of him. She wants him to listen to her and know his place.

She has made the time to teach him tricks but not so much to do as he is told! He can high 5, play dead and roll over :laugh:

Ok, one more question! She uses food every time she wants him to do something. He looks for the food as soon as he has done what he was told. Is this a good or bad thing?

he hasnt been weaned off properly. Inconsistancy and continuously rewarding a dog that has little respect for you means he's just performing for the food NOT for her. Decrease the size of the food to literally crumbs and add a pat, then wean to a pat or a 'good dog'.

Sounds like a case of the dog being smarter than the owner. Until she realises SHE is the problem he will continue as he is.

in my house doggies dont listen really to their daddy bit or a role reversal

Same here! Sometimes Rommi will look to me before she listens to her dad! He is a big softy, even with the kids he is always softer than me. I guess I am more of the dog person though so spend much more time training etc than he does. I also expect them to do as I ask the first time, he is happy to sttle for the second or even sometimes the third

Everyone listens to both of us in this house. Although when certain family members come over, they can't help but try to yell commands at the dogs- which they promptly ignore until we quietly ask them to get on their bed etc. Their refusal to comply with over the top commands says more than we ever could. :laugh: