Samoyed

Troy

Buster is gorgeous :)

I've got a photo which might be nice to share. I was always interested in how my boy compared to others at the same age, so this might be a bit of an understanding of how a Samoyed pup might grow up.

This is from 5 weeks old

monthbymonth-1.jpg

I tried to reply via PM but your inbox is full! Just out of curiosity, did you get Fletcher from Kalaska Samoyeds? he looks so much like my Zac that I would bet that Fletchers dad was Alex!!!

Bindi has been super busy so I thought I would reply :eek: Fletcher is not from Kalaska and Alex is not in his pedigree at all. (He has Snerzok, Mezen, Airebis, Aldonza & Overseas dogs in his pedigree, Alex's pedigree is one side all overseas and the Dam side is oz, so there maybe a couple of dogs behind there from simular line (depends on who your Zac Dam is :eek: )

Fletcher sire is Mezen Jedi Knight "Lucus" he is currently in New Zealand.

His Dam is Snerzok Chase The Wind "Miriah"

I sure you have lots of fun with your Samoyed, they are fabulous dogs with wonderful happy outgoing personalities :hug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted a while back about grooming. I have decided to stop sending my boy Samoyed to the groomers as I feel grooming is causing him pain. He has a lump along his spine which is becoming bigger. He has also previously been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy which was affecting his lower limbs and spine. I have been gently trying to brush out his undercoat but he is very reactive to even gentle pulls. So now I am considering having the vet nurse brush him out under full sedation with a tummy, bottom and leg clip, so she can be quick and even rough and he wont feel it - or I could buy a set of clippers and actually attempt to clip him myself. I am also tempted to clip all over to reduce the length of his coat as he doesn't seem to fully blow his undercoat and spends his whole summer panting. I know diabetics are more prone to heat stroke so his full coat concerns me. After a near death experience earlier late last summer where the vet severely clipped him, his coat has now fully regrown, but is more wirey. How short can I really safely clip a samoyed? I am no longer going for looks, i am going for comfort. I cannot subject him to repeated brushing when it clearly is uncomfortable for him. Any tips would be good. The vet nurse wont be bathing him due to him being sedated, so I will still have to do that after she has brushed/clipped. I am tempted to get her to give him the shortest shave the vet recommends. Has anyone else shaved or clipped samoyeds and been satisfied with the results?

I posted a while back about grooming. I have decided to stop sending my boy Samoyed to the groomers as I feel grooming is causing him pain. He has a lump along his spine which is becoming bigger. He has also previously been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy which was affecting his lower limbs and spine. I have been gently trying to brush out his undercoat but he is very reactive to even gentle pulls. So now I am considering having the vet nurse brush him out under full sedation with a tummy, bottom and leg clip, so she can be quick and even rough and he wont feel it - or I could buy a set of clippers and actually attempt to clip him myself. I am also tempted to clip all over to reduce the length of his coat as he doesn't seem to fully blow his undercoat and spends his whole summer panting. I know diabetics are more prone to heat stroke so his full coat concerns me. After a near death experience earlier late last summer where the vet severely clipped him, his coat has now fully regrown, but is more wirey. How short can I really safely clip a samoyed? I am no longer going for looks, i am going for comfort. I cannot subject him to repeated brushing when it clearly is uncomfortable for him. Any tips would be good. The vet nurse wont be bathing him due to him being sedated, so I will still have to do that after she has brushed/clipped. I am tempted to get her to give him the shortest shave the vet recommends. Has anyone else shaved or clipped samoyeds and been satisfied with the results?

Poor baby

We don't clip or shave our because they are show dogs, instead we give them ice water, leave wet towels down on hot summer days and make sure they have plenty of shade.

I do understand you not wanting to put him through the grooming, keep in mind Samoyeds that are shaven are subject to getting sunburnt, so this is something you will need to watch. The Samoyed coat actually protect them from the sun as they have sliver tips that reflect the sun and being white helps too.

You can purchase cool coats which also keep them cool. (http://www.coolingvests.com.au/)

How old is he?

I agree with what Kellie does, we do the same.

Without actually seeing the dog it's really hard to give any real advice.

Only you know how much pain he is in.

I have no experiance with shaved Sammie's personally but a friend did ask for her old bitch to be trimmed at one stage (also not totally healthy) and she came back utterly bald, poor girl cooked in summer and froze in winter :laugh: (it was the first time I had ever seen a jumper on a Sammie!)

She had to be kept out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, it was difficult for her and her owner.

• 2 weeks later...

I also posted under grooming asking about clipping etc. I think I will send him to the vets to be brushed out and clipped around tummy/bottom/legs under sedation, and then attempt to bathe him myself. I bought some whitening shampoo today, but still don't have a blower or clippers yet. I thought I would ask the vet nurse what brands she uses and clipper blade numbers before buying anything. The other thread had quite a few different recommendations about brands, clipper numbers etc, but I still don't know what to select.

Kelza, he is 7 years old. They are good tips re: wet towels and ice in the water. I have already filled the clam pool with water, but they usually only stand in it and until I get a blower, it probably isn't a good thing for them to get too wet.

At the moment both my dogs are being mauled by flies. I bought some new fly repellant today for dogs/horses, but they still keep biting their noses and ears. Short of keeping them completely inside, which they don't really like, come to their noses. I know as soon as we clip their bellies that the flies and ants will start biting. They are definitely happier in the thick of winter when it is freezing!

I am not a big fan of clipping Samoyeds and all doublecoated breeds. The reasons why 1. As a rule, clipping ruins the coat 2 It is almost impossible to clip this type of coat without good brushing before( i mean the coat must be perfectly brushed). Even blade#7 does not clip unprepared coat.

And after clip you still have to brush your dog, even if the coat is still quiet short, without this it will be matted even faster than unclipped coat.

• 2 weeks later...

OH and I looked at getting a Samoyed before we bought our house. After we bought the house we realised it was far too small for a bigger breed and we ended up getting a Japanese Spitz. We have since met quite a few Sammies at shows, and I still have a soft spot for them!

So a few questions for you Sammy owners out there, because we *might* consider it for our next dog. (If we buy a bigger property!)

- Do they need a lot of room to romp around in? Say if we are at work during the day?

- How are they with other dogs, or in my case would a Sammy live happily with a JS?

- Would their grooming be similar to a JS?

Thanks very much!

OH and I looked at getting a Samoyed before we bought our house. After we bought the house we realised it was far too small for a bigger breed and we ended up getting a Japanese Spitz. We have since met quite a few Sammies at shows, and I still have a soft spot for them!

So a few questions for you Sammy owners out there, because we *might* consider it for our next dog. (If we buy a bigger property!)

- Do they need a lot of room to romp around in? Say if we are at work during the day?

- How are they with other dogs, or in my case would a Sammy live happily with a JS?

- Would their grooming be similar to a JS?

Thanks very much!

Hey Cookiez

While I was working my Samoyed were kennel in runs all day and got walked in the afternoon and were also allowed free time playing, provided you are willing to exercise the dog it will cope fine.

Samoyed are brilliant with other dogs and if raised with one I see no reason why they couldn't live easily with a JS.

Mine live with four cats who have never been hurt also they have played with friends smaller dogs and although not use to being around them they were very gentle.

The grooming should be very similar but only on a larger scale. :thumbsup:

But I do believe that the JS coat is actually a little softer but I could be wrong.

Edited by Bjelkier

Thanks Bjelkier. :thumbsup:

I don't know how soon in the future we might get a new house. We only purchased us a year and a half ago but I do feel that I would be more comfortable getting another dog (big or small) if we had a yard. At the moment we only have a courtyard so Codi is walked twice a day and also given lots of free runs at the local dog park. We would do the same with our next dog even if we had a bigger property.

I have only ever patted a Samoyed puppy and the fur felt quite similar, though that could just be the puppy fur?

How are they in terms of energy levels? We do quite a lot with Codi in terms of training to keep him mentally stimulated and I find that he never runs out of energy! When he was a puppy I was so worried because it didn't matter how tired he was, he would never sleep during the day! Lol.

Thanks Bjelkier. :thumbsup:

I don't know how soon in the future we might get a new house. We only purchased us a year and a half ago but I do feel that I would be more comfortable getting another dog (big or small) if we had a yard. At the moment we only have a courtyard so Codi is walked twice a day and also given lots of free runs at the local dog park. We would do the same with our next dog even if we had a bigger property.

I have only ever patted a Samoyed puppy and the fur felt quite similar, though that could just be the puppy fur?

How are they in terms of energy levels? We do quite a lot with Codi in terms of training to keep him mentally stimulated and I find that he never runs out of energy! When he was a puppy I was so worried because it didn't matter how tired he was, he would never sleep during the day! Lol.

It's just that it was puppy fur, it's quite a bit softer then that of the adult.

Energy levels vary from each dog.

For example Alchemy is very high energy and needs to be trained and allowed to run quite often, Mistral on the other hand is a quiter dog.

I find training and a good hour or more walk and the dogs are fine, they do thankfully have an off switch and if I cant' take them our or train them that day they arn't climbing the walls right away.

What do you feed your Samoyeds Bjelkier? How much would you say it would cost to feed a Samoyed per week on average?

Hmmm I've never thought about that before.

I don't know the price because we buy everything in bulk monthly....

One bag of Nutro will last them a month (and thats with the Lab eating it too and he eats quite a bit) which is about $110 for a 15 kilo bag.

Various meats we get from the butcher and monthly we are looking at about $30 for the both of them.

At the moment Mistral (who is about 24 kilo) is eating one cup of dry (Nutro) in the morning and just under a cup of dry at night with about 2 table spoons of mince mixed in.

Allie (about 15 kilo) is getting half dry in the morning and just just over half in the evening with two spoons of mince mixed in.

They also get lamb flaps, turkey necks and the odd beef bone as well. (but on the nights they get this they don't get dry food)

Edited by Bjelkier

What do you feed your Samoyeds Bjelkier? How much would you say it would cost to feed a Samoyed per week on average?

Hmmm I've never thought about that before.

I don't know the price because we buy everything in bulk monthly....

One bag of Nutro will last them a month (and thats with the Lab eating it too and he eats quite a bit) which is about $110 for a 15 kilo bag.

Various meats we get from the butcher and monthly we are looking at about $30 for the both of them.

At the moment Mistral (who is about 24 kilo) is eating one cup of dry (Nutro) in the morning and just under a cup of dry at night with about 2 table spoons of mince mixed in.

Allie (about 15 kilo) is getting half dry in the morning and just just over half in the evening with two spoons of mince mixed in.

They also get lamb flaps, turkey necks and the odd beef bone as well. (but on the nights they get this they don't get dry food)

Interesting! It doesn't sound like they eat that much more than a little dog!

Codi is on about half a cup of dry food (Royal Canin) twice a day. His little 5kg bag will last him a whole month. We do buy other bits and pieces to feed him with in his diet but he's not overly expensive to feed. Lol.

I always worried that with a bigger dog I would be spending heaps of money on food!

Provided you feed the Sammie's a really good diet they don't eat much at all.

And I know what you mean with the bigger dogs, when my OH decided on the Bullmastiff I nearly had a heart attack, I was sure we would be eaten out of house and home but after talking to the breeder about it, turns out they don't eat as much as I had thought.

We feed our Samoyeds Supercoat dry food. Both breeders recommended it in the beginning and each time I query whether I should change to a premium brand the vets always say not to worry, it is good enough. I recently tried to swap brands to cure some 'wind' issues, but have gone back to it as the other sensitive stomach ones didn't cure the issue. One 8kg bag usually lasts over a week (maybe 2) to feed our two and we tend to bulk buy when it is on sale. I think I worked out once that it costs on average about $1 each dog per day (although the boy eats more than the girl), so not very expensive. My girl is about 18kg and the boy is 35kg. Because my boy has diabetes I can't really add other stuff to his diet, or give him treats, nor can I experiement too much with changing his food. Despite the vet advising that dog foods should list their energy compositions on the packet, I have found that alot of them still don't so it is very hard to compare them.

Very interesting! I worked out it was about $1 a day to feed Codi- not including treats and things that we buy him. Which is not very expensive at all.

Wow, a big difference between your boy and your girl bernym! What should be the average weight range?

Do you find any differences in behaviour or temperament between male and female?

OH is really warming up to the idea of getting a sammie. ;)

Edited by Cookiez

Very interesting! I worked out it was about $1 a day to feed Codi- not including treats and things that we buy him. Which is not very expensive at all.

Wow, a big difference between your boy and your girl bernym! What should be the average weight range?

Do you find any differences in behaviour or temperament between male and female?

OH is really warming up to the idea of getting a sammie. ;)

The adverage weight for a male is generally about 20 to 25 kilo.

Bitches are usually between 15 and 20 kilo

I don't know that there is a huge difference in temperment between males and females.

The dogs I know tend to be a little more sookie and cuddley, the girls can be more willing to go off and amuse themselves.

Either sex however is very friendly, cuddley and the love being with their people.

I originally wanted a girl and the breeder asked me why, saying that often people think girls are better in temperament and more obedient, whereas he had always found the boys were often the more obedient and willing to please and girls were more likely to be independent and wanting to do their own thing. He also said he had found his boys were definitely more sooky and cuddly then his girls.

In the end we got a boy, then later added a girl. Our boy is definitely more obedient and calmer than our girl, but I can't really attribute this to their sex as I have only ever had these two. Both are super friendly and affectionate, never have shown aggression to people or other dogs. I recently realised that they are also alright with cats, now that I have a cat that isn't scared of them. They weren't good with rabbits though :hug:

I sometimes forget that some people accept certain levels of aggression with dogs and prey instincts, but this hasn't ever been a problem with ours (except the poor bunny incident).

They are great with children too, although funnily enough, many parents come over asking if their kids can pat the dogs, meanwhile the kids look absolutely terrified of them because they are big and fluffy!

I doubt you would regret owning one - unless you like to wear black and hate fur over yourself ;)

Edited by bernym

Perhaps it's like this with other breeds too, although I am not an expert. My girl (Cavalier) is happy to do her own thing but will come for cuddles but very independent, whereas Codi will cry and sook for me. Lol.

If we did get one it would probably be a girl so that it's not too much bigger than Codi.

*sigh* it will still be a long way in the future though. So clucky for another puppy!