Troy

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samoyed Colours

The original Samoyed dogs were of several colours – including Black. The breed’s colours varied from tribe to tribe. The first Samoyed dog imported to England as a foundation dog for a breeding program was Sabarka, a brown coloured dog with white chest and feet. Sabarka was purchased by Ernst Kilburn-Scott as a gift to his wife. The white Samoyeds in the expeditions caught the eye of Kilburn-Scott and soon after he imported Whitey Petchora, a cream-coloured female. These two imported dogs were breed together & the litter had a mixture of White, Brown & Black puppies.

A total of twelve Sammies were imported to Britain that were determined to be purebred and those few dogs are responsible for the full line of Samoyeds today.

Biscuit and cream are highly prized by breeders and it is very important to retain this colouring. The shaded outer coat has been found to be better and harsher in texture, so necessary for survival in adverse environments. Biscuit colouring is necessary to preserve not only pigmentation, but also other breed characteristics. I particularly love the biscuit especially just behind the ears. My girl Tamiera (Multi RBISS Aust Ch Airebis Arctic Whisper) was a pure white puppy with gorgeous apricot colouring behind her ears. In her older years the biscuit appeared throughout her coat and when she passed away last year she was half white and half biscuit. Her Mother (BISS Aust Ch Airebis Love in the Mist) & Grandfather Mosco (Ch Airebis Russian Roulette) all developed biscuit colouring as they got older.

One of Tika’s daughters was born with a lot of biscuit, and was registered as a biscuit bitch; she was named Airebis winter tapestry, never shown but an absolutely lovely bitch. This is very rare and often puppies are born White or cream, occasionally having a little shading of biscuit. In saying this a young puppy is currently being shown as is biscuit and white.

The standards

FCI Standard (America & some European countries) –the standard calls for the coat to be white, cream, all biscuit, or white and biscuit. All other colours are disqualifications. Most Samoyeds are white, and many have biscuit marking on the ears and around the eyes.

English Standard (Australian/England etc) - The Samoyed breed standard states that Samoyed colour is "pure white, white and biscuit, cream". This is very important to breeders, so please do not think that a Samoyed is inferior if there is a lot of biscuit colouring through the coat or a creamy tinge, it is ideal

In the near future there may only be one standard, instead of two, but either way biscuit is important in both.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SamMan, give some Sardines in Oil a go. I mix them in with kibble so that the oil coats in all, they love it!

Maybe an egg every now and then would be interesting, or some plain natural yoghurt.

I also like to give my girls chicken wings, they have a bit of meat on them, and all the little bones help keep their teeth clean and sharp.

And since your boy already gets chicken mince, why not try some other meat occasionally. Maybe even kangaroo mince if it's not too rich for him.

Now, when's the last time anyone saw a pic of your handsome boy?! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick question from a soon to be samoyed owner, how do you all pronounce samoyed?. I always thought it was sam oiy ed, but I have read recently that it is actually sam a yed.

Fellow samoyed owners, at this time of year bindiis are everywhere. I am cutting back the fur on his 4 hocks and rear end so he isn't a bindii-magnet but don't like doing it with scissors. The fur is so fine often the scissors aren't sharp enough to cut it.

Is there any brand/type of clippers you can recommend that are good for trim/tidy-up jobs for samoyeds?

What's wrong with Bindiis!! Hehehe.

I think professional grooming scissors would be best for accuracy, but clippers are clippers as far as I know! I don't clip my boy, I just comb out bindis after a walk. Just don't clip the whole coat :laugh:

Edited by Bindii

Fellow samoyed owners, at this time of year bindiis are everywhere. I am cutting back the fur on his 4 hocks and rear end so he isn't a bindii-magnet but don't like doing it with scissors. The fur is so fine often the scissors aren't sharp enough to cut it.

Is there any brand/type of clippers you can recommend that are good for trim/tidy-up jobs for samoyeds?

I'm no Samoyed expert, but I know a tiny bit about grooming tools... If you really want to do something to his bottom and hocks, maybe get thinning or blending shears/scissors... Gives a more natural look if you do it right, would be better than clipping or standard scissors...

For those that use a crate (all wire) for their samoyed at night time. What size do you use?. I will be getting a female samoyed and I am currently trying to decide what size cage to buy. I want one that is roomy, but not huge.

These are the two I am looking at. Any help would be great :(

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/dog-cage-p...63-w559-h635mm/

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/metal-dog-cage/

For those that use a crate (all wire) for their samoyed at night time. What size do you use?. I will be getting a female samoyed and I am currently trying to decide what size cage to buy. I want one that is roomy, but not huge.

These are the two I am looking at. Any help would be great :confused:

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/dog-cage-p...63-w559-h635mm/

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/metal-dog-cage/

Wire creates are very simular, I have 3 a giant one and 2 normal sized ones. Make sure you lock the top and the bottom of the crate because they can push through and hurt themselves in they are determined enough.

I think the look of the first link.

Samoyeds are great dogs and I am sure you will create many wonderful memories together

Best of Luck

Apparently dog fur is much tougher on blades than human hair so the special dog clippers are about $300. The other option is to find a good groomer - I found a great lady who washes my Lappie ( who has similar fur to Sammies) trims her paw area, under her legs (armpits) and pants and only charges $40.

It is a well spent $40 as I did try doing it myself but for all the struggling with scissors - Jaana talking - trying to lick and generally being a wigglebum I wasn't very successful and the groomer makes her smell pretty .

I own two Samoyeds, a male and a female aged 7 years. I have noticed that photos of Samoyeds also show dogs with dark black noses. My dogs noses are progressively becoming paler, almost brown in colour. Is this something I should be concerned about or are Sammies noses 'touched up' with some kind of doggie make-up? I do recall seeing my breeder rub something on the dogs noses at a show.

Also, what are the best sites and products to set up for grooming at home? I have always paid groomers to wash and do a tidy up clip, but am going to try to do it at home. I expect to have to pay out a bit to buy a good quality blower and or clipper. Can these be bought online?

My boy dog has had some health problems and grooming has started to be more painful for him, so I would rather do it myself then send him to the groomers and not know how hard/rough they may be treating him.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi berynm,

Would not be concerned about the noses, my last samoyed girl her nose gradually went brown was told it should go back to black eventually but never did, was never a problem - unless of course you see a growth on it then of course get it checked out.

The last few years of my girls life it was way too painful for her to put her through groomers treatment, so I decided to look after it all myself. As she also despised brushing and found it very stressful and due to her problems could not stand for any length of time, I found it easier to wash her once a month and then just using my good old hair dryer to quickly dry and brush any coat out that I needed to. She looked well loved and clean up to the day we lost her. Not saying that once a month is enough for all dogs, but it worked well for us. Only extra equipment we got was a sturdy fold up table that we put a rubber top on for stability.

Good luck.

Thanks Melo. I did some research after posting and came across something called winter nose or snow nose, which apparently is when a black nosed dog will lose pigmentation over the winter months due to lack of sun, then the nose darkens again over summer. I will keep a watch and see what happens over summer.

Did your regular hair dryer get too hot? Or did you use a cool setting? My groomer said I would probably burn the dog before completing drying them because human hair dryers are too hot. But, if it worked for you that is good to know. I like the idea of a power blower that can blow out some of the fur so that it doesn't all have to be stripped out with combs/brushes. Does anyone know if this is how it works? I imagine there would be a huge mess by the time you finished with it!!