Anal Gland Issues

Hello helpful DOL people. My field pup Morgan has horrendous anal gland issues - they need to be expressed every couple of days and she just generally stinks.

I've tried to bulk up her fibre content by adding psyllium husks to her breakfast and dinner but I haven't noticed any improvement.

I'm wondering if her diet is contributing as originally she was on Advance Puppy but its got too high a protein content and she was growing unevenly. I changed her over (gradually of course) to Artemis Medium/Large Breed Puppy which is a super premium and contains different carbs and less protein - would this have worsened her anal gland situation?

I was going to take her to the vet to see if he has any other things to try but thought I would ask the masses as well.

Thanks!

I'm sure that sometimes they just need to grow into it! Boo had bad anal glads for several months and had to be emptied frequently - now have not had an issue with them for months as he has continued to grow up.

If NattyLou's experience with her dog is anything to go by, a visit to a canine chiropractor might be an idea.

Apparently anal gland issues can be a result of pelvic misalignment.

I've taken her to the chiro - no improvement, if any its worse!

I would be inclined to feed soft bones everyday, . not just bulky stools, but hardish ones help squeeze things out :laugh:

Fields are notorious for having soft enamel - bones are not recommended.

bones are not recommended.

well- get a mince with lots of bone in :laugh: That way he is getting the calcium carbonate hardening the stool- and no risk of damaging his teeth .

or maybe get chicken frames minced so she has the bone content

bones are not recommended.

well- get a mince with lots of bone in :laugh: That way he is getting the calcium carbonate hardening the stool- and no risk of damaging his teeth .

Yeah the mince I buy has bone in it.

Damn stinky dog :laugh:

I'm also guessing her poo is not as solid now due to the lack of beet pulp in the Artemis food.

To be honest I doubt that's the problem. My two have very solid poops on Artemis.

Beet pulp is a cheep filler in dry food advertised as a good source of fiber but mostly it's just a filler.

A great source of fiber are psyllium husks :provoke:

I'm also guessing her poo is not as solid now due to the lack of beet pulp in the Artemis food.

To be honest I doubt that's the problem. My two have very solid poops on Artemis.

Beet pulp is a cheep filler in dry food advertised as a good source of fiber but mostly it's just a filler.

A great source of fiber are psyllium husks :provoke:

My two adults are on Artemis Maximal Grain Free with solid poops and no issues.

Shes getting psyllium husks twice a day - no improvement.

ETA - I just know that some dogs react differently to no beet pulp in their food.

Edited by poocow

A great source of fiber are psyllium husks :D

My two adults are on Artemis Maximal Grain Free with solid poops and no issues.

Shes getting psyllium husks twice a day - no improvement.

ETA - I just know that some dogs react differently to no beet pulp in their food.

:provoke: how unlucky!

apart from minced frames and psyllium husks I have no recommendations :D

Perhaps Artemis is just not the right food for Morgan?

I know I wanted Boo to have Eagle Pack as it is MY choice of food to feed but he did not do well so I had to find one that worked for him.

Cos I only know about it in relation to giant breeds - is the % protein as issue for smaller dogs too?

SnT - yeah I am, stink reappears in less than 24hrs.

Danois - I'm thinking Artemis just isn't for her. Was thinking of trying EP. Yes the protein % does matter too, she had uneven bone growth on Advance as it was 32%!!! Ideally her food should be 28% or lower.

I've changed her over to Nutro Puppy, the poo is firm but still the stink persists. I have to take Top for a vax on Friday so might bring her along too.

Having another moral dilemma too - have just heard of all the Nutro issues in the US and although it says its Australian made the premix may come from the US. Why can't there just be a good food to feed :laugh: