A Query About Throwing Up - Rover

Rover threw up this morning and although they were fed at about 7pm last night, the vomit was nearly all food. So, about 14 hours after being fed, the food was still in his stomach. Is that not strange?

Rover is a very old (20 in December) toy poodle. He is obviously going down hill and has lost a bit of weight lately as he has become a bit picky with his food, which is not to be wondered at given his age.

He sleeps most of the time now rousing himself to go for a wander downstairs, check on where I am, when I get the leads out (yes he loves a short slow walk :laugh: ), and to bark at the other dogs from time to time :) .

mm... that isn't a really good thing- AFAIK food only stays in the stomach for a couple of hours- then moves on down... undigested food being vomited points to a problem I think?

poor old boy :laugh:

That's what I thought :) .

He isn't really a "ppor old boy" :mad . He has just roused himself from his bed in the sun on deck, taken himself to the lounge to another bed in front of the heater, roused himself from there, taken himself downstairs (I watched that he was okay on the ramp), and now he has joined us wanting his walk.

Depending on what I observe in the next couple of hours, I will be taking him for a check up.

It could be a blockage of the pyloric sphincter (tube which carries food from the stomach into the intestines). My old JRT developed that over several months, and had to be PTS. I doubt that it would develop overnight, but I suppose it is possible to have something else (i.e. undigestible object - bone, plastic, a rock.. whatever) block the tube in the same manner. Something similar could also happen within the small intestine.

If it's possible that he has been throwing up without you noticing (ie in the backyard on toilet breaks?) then weight loss is a sign that can be linked to that condition.

Feed him several very small, easily digestible meals, several hours apart, and see if he keeps them down ok / doesnt have any problems. It may have been a one-off/nothing to worry about. But take him to your vet if he gets bloat or other pains, seems restless, or vomits... or if he doesnt poo for a day.

Edited by midnightmint

Feed him several very small, easily digestible meals, several hours apart, and see if he keeps them down ok / doesnt have any problems. It may have been a one-off/nothing to worry about. But take him to your vet if he gets bloat or other pains, seems restless, or vomits... or if he doesnt poo for a day.

Thank you for that.

I have fed him two small meals: he was VERY keen and both kept down. He has had his little walk and seems to be okay.

Rover is is old (literally and figurately) self today. He slept through the night on my bed and woke me when he needed to get down this morning.

He has toileted (1 and 2 :love: ) with ease, "wolfed" his breakfast down and is now back in front of the heater in the lounge.

I have decided to keep a chart to more closely monitor his general well being.