Feeding New Puppy

Hi all

My fiance and I are bringing home a Labrador Retriever puppy in about 5 weeks and we are not sure as to what we should be feeding him when he arrives, or how often. He will be 8 weeks old when we pick him up and will be used to 2 feeds per day at that stage (this info from breeder). The breeder mentioned that she uses fresh meat, vegetables and some kibble. So this is what we want to know.

1. What sort of vegetables are good for our puppy to eat and should they be cooked or raw? Can/should I include fruit at all and if so, what fruits?

2. What sort of meat should I give the puppy? I've heard that kangaroo meat is the best. Is this correct? Can I use any meat off-cuts? Should the meat be cooked?

3. Are there any foods that are very dangerous for puppies that should be avoided at all costs (i.e. we know chocolate is a no-no)?

4. How often should we feed our 8 week-old puppy?

5. Will the puppy's diet change dramatically as he grows? By this, I mean not the quantity, but the variety of food.

Hoping someone can be of assistance to us.

Edited by Matthew_B

Hopefully the breeder of your puppy will help you here.

Kangaroo might be too lean for a little puppy. I know some people steer clear of raw chicken for very young pups because it's supposedly higher in bacteria but I dont know how true this is.

I feed lots of fruit and vegies both cooked and raw, they've all just been snacking on raw pumpkin. Dont give onions or grapes though. Mine love most fruit and vegies though.

When I bred puppies I had them on 3 feeds per day when they went to their new homes at 8 weeks. I suggested continuing that until they were 6 months old and then dropping back to 2 feeds per day. I am not a vet though, it's just what I did.

I would also feed a puppy three meals a day untill they were at least 5 to 6 months old.

Do some searching on BARF and RAW feeding.

Veggies should be mainly green leafy ones that have been put through the food processor to break down the cellulose walls.

This is a great BARF website

Meat should be raw and you have to make sure to include bones as well.

Matthew talk to the breeder and make sure you keep the pup on the diet he's used to until he settles in with you. It's a big upheavel for a baby pup changing homes and they can easily get an upset tummy. After a week or so you can start to gradually change his food over.

Sounds good, thanks for the info everyone. The only point I'll make now is that with both my fiance and I working, we aren't home through the middle of the day to give the puppy a lunchtime meal. Our breeder said that by 8 weeks, she has them on 2 meals a day - larger in the morning than at night so that they can burn off the energy through the day than while they sleep at night. I really wish I could be home to feed him and keep him company throughout the day, but it unfortunately isn't practical. Given this, we plan to buy plenty of toys for him and will make a fuss over him when we come home each day. Money permitting, we may be able to buy a second puppy in 6 to 12 months time so they can keep each other company.

If the puppy is to be alone all day where will it be. I would not suggest a pup be left on its own in the yard and it wont be able to hold its bladder at 8 weeks all day. Is there someone who could drop in check on the pup and give it lunch. I have two labradors and they do need supervision especially in the yard because they will eat anything and everything. Lab pups are a lot of hard work, worth it but I am worried about the pup being alone all day.Will either of you be able to take some time off work to settle the pup into its new routine.

Edited by mokhahouse

We plan to leave the pup on our covered back verandah with its kennel and create an area where the pup can do it's business. I think we might be able to ask our neighbours to come and check on him a few times a day, but they are elderly people and although very nice I am not sure it would be right of us to ask that of them.

Some foods that you should not give your pup include grapes, chocolate,raw potato skin or green potatoes, macadamia nuts and onions. I am sure there are more just cant think of them. I would suggest not varying the pups diet in the early days when you bring him home. Feed what your breeder recommends and let him settle in.My labs are 1 and nearly 2 years old and enjoy kibble, I feed Eagle pack and California natural to the one with allergies. They also enjoy apples, pumpkin. sweet potato, carrot, raw and cooked chicken(but never cooked bones)lamb, raw meaty bones, sardines are a favourite and honestly they would probably eat anything I gave them including celery. Labs are usually not hard to get to eat a varied diet. Just introduce new foods slowly, not a whole variety at once so there stomachs can get used to new foods. Keep it simple to start with and follow your breeders advice.Good luck with your new pup. I hope everything goes well. A lab puppy is a lot of fun, a lot of work but worth it. I adore my two.

Edited by mokhahouse