Molly Having Annual Epilepsy Check Up

Well, it's come around very fast (and it's overdue I just realised today). Molly, my little epi dog, will be seeing our vet tomorrow evening for a blood draw and general once-over. I hope the meds are still keeping her on track and that we don't need to increase the dose. I also hope her liver function is still normal and that the meds aren't doing any damage.

I'm so nervous about this. Last year all was well. So cross fingers this year is no different. My little heart dog, please stay well. ;) ;)

Thanks, I hope so.

The other thing is that I normally walk one of their shelter dogs (we have a walk every Thurs) so I feel a bit guilty that I'll be seeing the vet for a consult rather than walking a homeless dog...I might get to do the first part with Molly though, which would be nice. ;)

I just get so darned nervous with these check-ups...I can't help it. You know what I mean.

A week! Wow, I have mine within a couple of days, sometimes I'll get the pheno levels on the same day even.

Yeah, but we're in DARWIN...everything takes longer because none of it is done locally. I think the vet blood work is done in QLD or WA depending on what's needed.

We are moving forward...S-L-O-W-L-Y here. Some tests are now done locally for human patients. :hug:

Kirislin - hoping it's not epilepsy...crossing fingers for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have the results. :)

Her levels of phenobarb are at 52 and it should be at 65 or greater. Now I don't really know if this is a problem as Molly *seems* to be seizure-free and has been for a while. So, on the one hand, if the levels are lower than therapeutic and she's not seizing, we can consider reducing the dose with the aim of stopping altogether. But the vet I spoke to (mine wasn't available today) seems to think we should *increase* the dose to return to a therapeutic level, or alternatively do nothing. I'm a bit confused as to the next step to consider. :D

Yes, therapeutic levels should be between 65 - 194 so 52 is low.

When was her last seizure and was this before or after he last levels were taken?

If she has been seizure free between levels and the last levels were also low, I'd be inclined to leave things as is. If she continued to be seizure free for 18 months to 2 years or more then I would be inclined to wean her off the pheno.

The only time I would increase her intake of pheno would be if she was still suffering seizures and her levels were low.

Yes, therapeutic levels should be between 65 - 194 so 52 is low.

When was her last seizure and was this before or after he last levels were taken?

If she has been seizure free between levels and the last levels were also low, I'd be inclined to leave things as is. If she continued to be seizure free for 18 months to 2 years or more then I would be inclined to wean her off the pheno.

The only time I would increase her intake of pheno would be if she was still suffering seizures and her levels were low.

That's what I thought PRS. Last levels were "within normal" but I'm going to check on the actual level so I know for sure.

As far as we can be sure, Molly hasn't had a seizure since we started medication in April 07. But we both work full time so can't observe her during the day. The seizures were occuring either late afternoon or early evening before medication started so I think we would have seen some signs of a repeat seizure at some point?

Sometimes the signs are hard to spot though LM. I am sure Monte has had dozens more seizures when I am not around. A few times I have been able to pick it when something is knocked over or if he has goop on the side of his face. Othertimes I picked the wet patches on the floor where he has drooled with each seizure. Sometimes, when he seems quiet or tired when I come home I wonder if he has but I can never be sure.

Montes seizures times vary. They used to always be in the early hours of the morning. This seems to have changed over the eyars and he has them in the early evening now most often.

Well, I actually saw my vet tonight (I volunteer at the shelter attached to the clinic) and his advice is to stop the pheno. The reason for this (his strongest reason) is that because the levels are below the line where they are doing good, and because Molly doesn't seem to be having seizures, therefore the drug is not at a level to be effective if she was having seizures. He also said that if we suspect she's having/had a seizure again to introduce it at the same dose and interval. So I think that's a great plan. ;) I will probably be a bit paranoid and watch her like a hawk and double-check her bedding, room etc, every day! Not that I don't but on the tablets I have relaxed a little.

I'm very relieved as the medication makes her constantly hungry and she has gained a little weight as a result. ;)

I'm going to be very happy if she can stay seizure-free. *searches for the cross fingers emoticon* :)