Flea Treatment For Puppy

We just got a beautiful 10 week young Shih Tzu puppy and he has fleas. He is constantly scratching and they are driving him (and ME)crazy and he has a couple of sores on his back from them. I use frontline plus on our other dog and she has no fleas.

I am concerned about using any flea treatment on a young pup, maybe there is something safe we could wash himin.

Congrats on your new baby!!!

I dont know about the reliability of shampoos but I think most treatments are pretty safe. But with a SWF (small white fluffy) I would avoid anything with permethrin in it which is designed to kill ticks. Osca had a treatment with this in it and he had seizures every time it was applied. When I rang the company they said SWF showed the worst reactions. Treatments like advantage do the same job just without the permethrin

We use sentinel spectrum for the puppy and the adult dog, it's worked fine. But apparently it only kills them once they bite as opposed to advantage which repels as well as kills on contact which may not be effective enough for your little one.

You might need to bomb your house if there is a major infestation. We can bring fleas into the house just as well as our furry friends. I have read some people feed their dogs a bit of garlic in their food every day which is supposed to repel them. I don't know how much tho so I'll leave this to the others.

you can use the Capstar tablets on the pup to get rid of the fleas he has now and then we always use Rudducks Flea-Di, even on the young kittens that came into the clinic. The Pyrethrin is a natural one and wont cause problems.

Thanks for the advice.... I would hate anything to happen to this little darling from using flea treatment.

We gave him a bath yesterday and he was full of fleas and his skin is red and he has sores on it the poor little thing, it looked so much worse when he was wet. All other animals are treated and they have no fleas and there doesnt appear to be any on the floor surfaces.

My husband will treat the floors this weekend (he is a pest controller) when we roll up the rugs that I am going to put away while puppy is being toilet trained(hubby also has to clean and treat rugs for urine.. thanks puppy haha).

I have an apt with the vet for later today to give him a checkup and vac.

Congrats on your new baby!!!

Thanks... we already love the little man and his personality seems the perfect fit for our household. He keeps me occupied, sometimes too occupied lol and I am less sad over losing my other darling dog with him around.

We got our other dog when my son was just 2 so he doesnt remember the puppy stage and he is loving having a little furball around.

you can use the Capstar tablets on the pup to get rid of the fleas he has now and then we always use Rudducks Flea-Di, even on the young kittens that came into the clinic. The Pyrethrin is a natural one and wont cause problems.

We took him to the vet yesterday for a checkup and she gave him a capstar tablet and said in a couple of days put advocate on him. His skin is red and sore, poor little darling but the fleas are gone now.

My mum had problems with flea's on her dog. She had used absolutely everything from powders, advantage, advantix, frontline, bathing in Fido's free-itch rinse etc and the only thing that worked was Revolution.

Direction for use said do not use on dogs less than 6 weeks of age - so I believe it would be ok on a 10 week old pup.