Dog Marking Things Inside.....

Hi All, I have a question about dogs weeing on things inside, on behalf of my brother. Ive never had boy dogs so I couldnt really give him any sound advice, but Im sure someone out there can help.

My brother and his family have two small male dogs (entire - lets NOT go there :eek: ) that they have decided to let inside with them at night times. One of them is fine inside, was inside as a pup and has been toilet trained. The other has been an outside dog for most of his life I think and obviously doesnt know the rules!

So when this dog is inside, he is fine when sitting with family and asleep on their laps etc. but they cant let him wander around or he wees on things, which obviously isnt the nicest thing! It seems to be a male marking thing rather than a need to wee.

I advised that maybe a belly-band might work (but really have no idea!!) and was hoping I could get some advice on this idea. Does the belly band just stop things getting weed on, or can the dog work out eventually that his weeing isnt getting anywhere and stops?? Dumb question I know but as I said Ive never had a boy dog :cry: We did however have two male castrated cats that enjoyed immensely marking things inside the house! :mad

Are there any other training ideas that could be useful. He would like the dog to have free range of the house as the other one has, but I think he may have left it a little too late for this miracle to happen?!

Thanks

Rat

I totally agree Paganman, definately not the dogs fault - just thought a belly band might be useful! Unfortunately I dont think my brother would be inclined to have to spend "all that time" on toilet training!!!!!

bobchic a bellyband is a band of material with a velcro fastening at each end (the ones Ive seen) that goes around a dogs middle to prevent them from weeing on things.....

Rat

get a belly band for sure especially if the dog is not used to knowing inside this behavior is a no no and they cannot keep and eye on him all the time.

get biozet from the supermarket (laundry detergent) make up a solution and start washing the areas he wees on. Just because they have entire males does not mean they HAVE to mark.

thirdly keep them within eye shot or get crates where they cannot roam and mark. If he does try to mark clap loudly and 'NO BAD DOG' so he understands his behavior is not allowed in the house. Until they understand I would not be letting them out of my sight.

The bellyband is a management tool not a training tool in my experience. There is a theory that they dislike the wet fabric/pad up against them and this stops them peeing but I haven't seen that work myself (these are dogs after all, not people). I don't really want my dogs getting about with bits of urine soaked fabric around their middles in the house anyway. :laugh:

Belly bands do make our life easier when our bitches are in season and the boy loses his mind - we use the kind where you put a small urinary incontinence pad in the belly band so that you don't have to keep washing it. So I would definitely suggest they get some if they can, it will help make life easier while they train.

I agree with Nekhbet that they'll have to train as well. Even if the bellyband is on and the dog lifts a leg inside I would still give a verbal correction. Make sure the dog has a spot he is allowed to pee on outside and positively reinforce appropriate outside peeing. It gets back to basic house training and if it's a busy SWF and I was training it I would confine or leash it in the house so I could see what it was up to at all times in the initial stages.

The people in the house should eventually get to see the overall look of a dog before he is about to lift his leg. With my entire boy I can see him do that slow saunter and it's enough for me to say "don't even think about it Mister" and he remembers the rules. Or at least he remembers that the long-haired boss is watching... :thumbsup:

Thanks guys your suggestions are very much appreciated! I understand the belly band is a management tool only, and some training is needed.

Not having to worry about boy dogs inside Ive never really thought about the "before" behaviour - but thats a good point!

I was also thinking crate, but I think just keeping him a lead would be alot easier for them.

I will pass these suggestions on, and hopefully they will be implemented and maybe even work :D

Thanks again

Rat

It's pretty simple. If your brother is not willing to put in the training and the dog has been an outside dog...

Well the answer to me is obviously put it outside when they no longer wish to keep an eye on the dog. That's a training tool in itself.

So is it good to stop the dog marking at anytime eg outside, on walks etc?

Or just tell them to stop indoors?

Yeah, it's not necessary for them to mark anywhere. On a walk you are on a walk to exercise, enjoy a change of scenery and get out of the yard. My dogs are torrential wee-ers...particularly good as they trial and I know then their bladder is empty.

In the backyard I don't police marking as it is their territory but MY den (house) and the whole neighbourhood is not.