Grooming Table

Okay so I have a post in the show forum re show trolleys but I thought I would post the grooming tables :rofl:

I thought I was being a bit clever as I found a fold out alluminium table. A non slip mat to fit. Great size portability ect only it was wobbly when Toby was on it. I want to build his confidence so it was no good. So I will have to spend a bit more.

Bec

I have a Liberty grooming table - Terrier size.

The higher table suits me (I'm tall) and is a good size for poodle grooming.

hi poodlefan :o Thankyou for helping with all my newbie questions :laugh:

Liberty is a name I have come accross so I will look at prices for those. What about one of the clipperworld ones? are they any good?

Bec

I have 2 liberty tables. They are excellent, sturdy and durable BUT they are heavy and awkward to carry. As a female with little strength and a bad back, i find the liberty too heavy to cart around (I need large size) esp on those long distances from the carpark to the ringside.

So mine stay put for home use. Going to a show I have a lighter weight one (can't remember brand but bought it while in Qld - it's height adjustable). So my recommendation is if it's mainly for home use get liberty, if you have someone to carry and lift for you at shows, get a liberty. If not have a look at alternatives.

See, I don't agree with that. I would rather have the sturdier, non-moving table at shows.

My Liberty is great. I too have a Terrier sized one. I also purchased the longest leg length I could get.

I have another table that I purchased online via Ebay. It has the height adjustable legs and is lightweight but IMO that makes it less safe and somewhat flimsy and I don't think it would stand up to a lot of moving around. AND, the leg adjustments do move fairly frequently as well....not always by much, but enough to make the table stand unevenly or be wobbly.

I also like that my Liberty folds almost completely flat which makes it easier to pack in the car. The folding mechanism is easy too.....and robust.

Yep another :laugh: from me for Liberty (and not too expensive either).

I made my own...

Me and Bunnings came up with a table with wheels for approx $100. The most expensive part is the pyramid matting and glue to hold it on.

I made it half "regular" grooming table size, and when folded up the wheels hang out below the folded legs so it acts as a dolly meaning I take it when I fly with the dogs. You should see me zoom through the airport with 3 PP40's stacked up on it :laugh:.

I bought the folding legs at bunnings, bought outdoor/marine ply and screwed the whole thing together. Then the contact adhesive on the top with the pyramid matting. It's light enough for me to carry, secure enough for me to fly it around Australia a couple of times over the last few years.

I used thinner than normal ply which I got away with because the table is as long as a standard one is wide and the supports of the folding legs sit right in the middle. I can sit on the table without batting an eye lid, I have even stood on it.

Perfect size for little dogs, just a smidge small for the Afghans but still do able in a hint.

I made my own...

Same here - well OH did. :laugh:

Actually cost virtually nothing because the folding legs came off a table we already had and the top was from something else we were "recycling". The best part of making it yourself is you can make the top whatever size you want. Mine was for the PWD so could be smaller than the "big" commercial tables but bigger than the "small" commercial tables and you can add packing under the top to make it taller - but I'm a shorty so the legs were a good length anyway. Most expensive part was the rubber matting, glue was already in the shed. It was heavy (about 15kg) but really sturdy and impossible to break :love:

I agree with Ellz - buy sturdy for carting to shows unless you can afford to replace it every couple of years.

Edited by Sandra777

Great suggestions guys.

I want sturdy. I have decided on both a table and trolley. Grooming first and when hubby is over that then trolley as I have a great crate that he loves which I can take to shows till I get the trolley then use that at shows. I dont mind carting heavy till then.....well hubby wont anyway lol. But sturdy is my main issue. He is a coated breed with a lifetime of grooming ahead and even if I dont show I plan to keep him coated (I really like grooming him lol). I want him happy safe and confident on the table from the get go. I also have skin kids who are prone to zoomies too so something that isnt going to bump or tip with a little bump here and there. The problem with the table I had was it was wobbly and he wasnt sure of it.

The arms and frames look good too :thumbsup:

Lowenhart do you have a pic of you table? sounds good.

Bec

Lowenhart do you have a pic of you table? sounds good.

Will have to wait until I go home and get some shots of it. I tend to crop it out of the photos of the dogs.

But a couple where you can see it sorta:

Gretch3_0380.jpg

I can't tell you how old it is, maybe 3 or 4 years. It has flown maybe 15 times. I use it to groom at home so it's not in pristine condition. :thumbsup:

I painted the ply black to protect it and match the legs.

The screws ontop are for the wheels, which I added after I did the pyramid matting. If I'd do it again I'd put them on beforehand and use the flat top screws.

Heidi_0459_600.jpg

Here you can see part of the legs/wheels. The wheels got chocked up so they'd clear the folded legs. I have swivels on one end (the steering end) and straights on the other end. This is the straight end.

See, I don't agree with that. I would rather have the sturdier, non-moving table at shows.

I agree ellz, i would love to use my liberty table at shows... but as i said, liberty is too heavy and awkward for me to carry and lift as i have a bad back and i am alone to set up at shows... so not knowing the OP's situation, if weight and carrying is a concern then beware of a liberty. As it turns out, weight is not an issue for OP and she has a husband who will carry for her. So then liberty is ideal for her. I was just putting forward my suggestion from a single, weakling female's perspective :thumbsup:

I agree ellz, i would love to use my liberty table at shows... but as i said, liberty is too heavy and awkward for me to carry and lift as i have a bad back and i am alone to set up at shows... so not knowing the OP's situation, if weight and carrying is a concern then beware of a liberty. As it turns out, weight is not an issue for OP and she has a husband who will carry for her. So then liberty is ideal for her. I was just putting forward my suggestion from a single, weakling female's perspective :)

Why not use a trolley to wheel it around to save you back. :thumbsup:

oops eta: I have a large Liberty table and would not fancy carting that around, I also have an adjustable height table from Woofer Wares - this is a fantastic table, sold as a rock and would recommend them above the Liberty but are much more expensive.

Both tables are fantastic and if I was to move them around for showing I would be using a trolley.

The tables from Clipper World are nice and sturdy.

Edited by Andisa

So its betwen the clipper world med and a liberty terrier. The clipper world one has the grooming arm which I think may be of use with my cheeky boy.

Does anyone else have this table?? Andisa does it wobble at all with the dog on it?

Thankyou

Bec

I have just realised that I have a Clipper World table as my "spare" and I don't like it.

Firstly, as I said, the height adjustable legs move a little too much for my liking. Secondly, I don't like that the grooming arm is a permanent fixture. It only fits the table one way which is a pain if you wanted to use the other end or have the angle of the arm facing a different direction (like I do).

Yes, it is sturdy, but it is only sturdy until the legs decide to give way and then they become wobbly. AND it's a real PITA to fold. Very awkward.

You can purchase a separate grooming arm for the Liberty which will also fit (with a bit of wriggling and effort) many grooming tables as well.

I'm not practical enough with my hands to be able to make my own grooming table, BUT, I have to say that in my 23 years with long-coated dogs (various breeds) and a few shorthairs which have also been accustomed to tables (to save my back), the Liberty is by far and away the best table I've owned.

If it weren't for the fact that I usually go to shows by myself so need my trolley to tote all of my junk, it would definitely come to more shows. And will be at Royal time anyway. You can't have too many table tops! :mad

I have just realised that I have a Clipper World table as my "spare" and I don't like it.

Firstly, as I said, the height adjustable legs move a little too much for my liking. Secondly, I don't like that the grooming arm is a permanent fixture. It only fits the table one way which is a pain if you wanted to use the other end or have the angle of the arm facing a different direction (like I do).

Yes, it is sturdy, but it is only sturdy until the legs decide to give way and then they become wobbly. AND it's a real PITA to fold. Very awkward.

You can purchase a separate grooming arm for the Liberty which will also fit (with a bit of wriggling and effort) many grooming tables as well.

I'm not practical enough with my hands to be able to make my own grooming table, BUT, I have to say that in my 23 years with long-coated dogs (various breeds) and a few shorthairs which have also been accustomed to tables (to save my back), the Liberty is by far and away the best table I've owned.

If it weren't for the fact that I usually go to shows by myself so need my trolley to tote all of my junk, it would definitely come to more shows. And will be at Royal time anyway. You can't have too many table tops! :rolleyes:

ellz are you sure you purchased from clipper world? I purchased one from them and the height was not adjustable and it came with a grooming arm that could be attached at any point on the table.

If it weren't for the fact that I usually go to shows by myself so need my trolley to tote all of my junk, it would definitely come to more shows. And will be at Royal time anyway. You can't have too many table tops! :laugh:

ellz are you sure you purchased from clipper world? I purchased one from them and the height was not adjustable and it came with a grooming arm that could be attached at any point on the table.

Positive, I found the invoice.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - just wanted to say thankyou for all your advice and let you know it didnt fall on deaf ears. We got our brand new table yesterday and already LOVE it. I went with a liberty terrier with grooming arm and noose. The guy from liberty was great ;)

I got the taller one too. I am short but I prefer to stand and can use a stool if needed but my dog went to the edge with a look of "well I am not jumping of this" and promplty laid down and went to sleep while I brushed him out :cry::cry:

A pic of him on his new table - and yep very sturdy so I am VERY happy

newtable.jpg

Cheers

Bec