Constipated Puppy

Georgieboy

Hi there,

Not the best topic for first thing in the morning, but George our 6 month old stafford seems to be constipated. I put him outside this morning to go to the toilet and he always wee's and poops first up. He did poo, but it was little marbles that looked dry. We went for our morning walk, then when I got home I cleaned up the poo. (sorry, this is going to sound bad) but when I picked up the one he did this morning it was hard and so I squeezed it and it crumbled like dried poo thats been in the sun too long :rofl: .

Any ideas on what I can give to help him? He does not seem to be in any pain, his tummy is not hard and he's running around playing.

He gets bonnie puppy in the mornings with a bone to munch on, then tinned food mixed with bonnie puppy at night with aditives like cheese, garlic, olive oil or a sardine (not all these aditives at once, spread out over a week).

He also gets a kong with a small handfull of good o's in it to help keep him occupied thru the day.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

:D

Hi-

feed him a nice big meal of canned P*L food ..get him to drink some extra water if you can... also- some mashed well cooked pumpkin may help :rofl:

hard droppings are not a bad thing at all....and there should be some effort required to get rid of them... but if they are tiny 'pebbles' he may need a bit more fluid...

You could try giving sardines a bit more? I know that works with our boys... they both have them for breaky each morning....

Might give that a go tonight then, I have sardines but no pumpkin yet. Thanks!

Does he have access to water overnight?

T.

He sleeps inside with us, (spoilt boy gets to sleep on the bed :rofl: ). His water bowl is in the kitchen and we dont close the bedroom door, so I guess if he wanted he could get a drink. I usually wake if he gets off the bed and let him out, which doesn't happen very often... Do you think the 7 - 8 hrs of no drinking would make the first one of the day a bit harder than the rest?

I'm also going to avoid the good o's in the kong and see if that makes a difference, now when I think about it he didn't have an issue before I started using them in his kongs, so they could be the culprit!

My girls' poops will get harder after no water for 7-8 hours... does he make a big mess when he drinks? If not, then maybe try putting a water bowl closer to where he sleeps so he may be encouraged to drink a little overnight...

If his poops are dry all day - then you may have a different problem...

T.

My girls' poops will get harder after no water for 7-8 hours... does he make a big mess when he drinks?

Unfortunately yes... water goes everywhere! but I will try to get him to drink more before bed, even if it does mean getting up thru the night for a wee break.