Urinary Incontinence

~Anne~

I have a rescue currently in care who has had 2 surgical procedures to remove struvite stones from the bladder. This last one was left some time before the operation was done, to the point where the dog was a mess with incontinence and infection.

The stone was the size of a mandarin!! :p

2 weeks post surgery and it appears she may be incontinent. We are hoping that this is still just trauma but it may not be.

I need to evenutally find a home for this girl and I will need to be armed with every bit of info there is about how to manage incontinece with a dog that lives inside. Not to mention she will be shortly delivered to me where I will need to protect my furnishings and floors as well.

Do you have a dog that suffers from this and lives mainly inside? If so, how do you manage it? I have heard of 'pants' that bitches can wear and I am wondering if this is suitable??

Any advice or help appreciated. :laugh:

My Mini Foxie had bladder cancer for the last ten months of her life and became increasingly incontinent. I kept her inside through all this. She slept a small plastic crate (cat size) which was inside a larger wire crate (over a metre long, not sure about the width. I used puppy training pads but found that lots of newspapers and a towel were more practical and stayed in place better if she scratched around trying to make a bed. The plastic lined adhesive pads tended to scrunch up in a ball and stick to themselves and weren't a lot of use. I always had one towel one her bed, one soaking in disinfectant and one drying on the line.

It helped that she was a very small dog and any accidents on the floor could easily be cleaned up. I didn't let her walk about on the carpet. I tried "bitches britches" - not sure of their correct name , they were on loan from a friend, but found they weren't absorbent enough and she piddled right through them. She wasn't happy wearing them and tried hard to get them off. She was an older dog and content to stay in one place. She would run about outside and then come in and sleep in her crate.

I suppose a lot depends on the age and activity level of your rescue dog. Maybe her condition will improve with time. Good luck with her. She has certainly been through a lot. I hope she can find an understanding home.

I think it's uncommon to have incontinence that's not hormonal and thus medication is used to control - hence the quiet.

There are bitches britches you can get which are normally used for a bitch in season but with a human incontinence pad insert (designed for the thinner, faster flow - as per the ads :thumbsup: ), I guess they could work for urine. You would need to ensure that the bits aren't being kept wet and replace the pad often but I'm sure you'd know that.

My brother has a rubbed backed mat for his incontinent dog in case she has an accident and makes sure she has regular toilet breaks (a full bladder leaks so much easier) in winter when the doors are shut and she can't come and go as she pleases.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I was worried about urine burn ML with the pads. I guess you would have to treat it much a like a baby and replace the pad several times throughout the day. The issue will be when I am at work.

I did a little research yesterday and actually purchased undies that are specific to bitches with incontinence and pads.... I am hoping the human incontinence pads will also fit as these will be cheaper and easier to purchase. There seems to be a couple of brands of these things and the ones I ordered yesterday were much cheaper...so I am hoping that it doens't mean poorer quality. I hope it is more that the other brand are overpriced. If I could sew....... *sigh*

There is still a chance that the condition will improve. It has only been 2 weeks.

I did a little research yesterday and actually purchased undies that are specific to bitches with incontinence and pads.... I am hoping the human incontinence pads will also fit as these will be cheaper and easier to purchase. There seems to be a couple of brands of these things and the ones I ordered yesterday were much cheaper...so I am hoping that it doens't mean poorer quality. I hope it is more that the other brand are overpriced. If I could sew....... *sigh*

My Suki (12yo akita) has been incontinent to varying degrees for years - ... at the moment she wears pants and pad at night only and I keep 'mattress pads' designed for humans on the inside dog beds. I have a piece of 'vet bed' on top of a trampoline bed outside for her - rejected it for use inside as the backing is not waterproof.

I keep bicarb and vinegar in stock for the occasional cleanup job ..

She doesn't have trouble with urine burn - probably as she only leaks intermittently (mostly not a large volume) and I don't leave the pads on 24/7..

:laugh: @ ML

Thanks dwynwen. Protecting the bedding is going to be fun but I think your idea of the mattress pads is a good one. Where do you buy these from??

My dogs have their own lounge to sleep on in their 'dog room' as well as beds on the floor as we usually always have rescues in and some seem to prefer to sleep in a bed on their own or they can not jump up on the lounge. I cover the lounge with a sheet and then with a blanket in Winter and with another sheet in Summer. That way I can wash the shetts/blankets and keep it all clean. I could be the mattress pads under the sheet.

I guess the beds on the floor I can just keep washing?? It also largely depends on how much she leaks. Reports are that she can be sitting and leave a patch on ly the size of a 20cent piece and at other times the volume is more.

I have a dog door that she will be able to use so hopefully this will help with the full bladder issue.

Beanie was incontinent for about a year - inside dog, sleeps on dog beds and human beds.

On the dog beds we used cot and basinette matress protectors (the ones with towling over the plastic - more comfortable for pup), on top of that we had polar fleece rugs as they wash and dry very quickly.

On the human bed a queen sized matress protector, then on the area that she slept we put one of those plastic backed picnic rugs and more polar fleece on top of that.

We had several matress protectors as they also needed to be washed daily. It all worked very well and not one dog bed or human bed died as a result :laugh:

EFT

Edited by benny123