Dremel Not Working?

Snap

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me here. First I bought a 'mini rotary tool kit' and tried it out on my cav. Nothing at all, and the sensation on his nails irritated him. I thought fair enough, it's cheap and not very powerful.

Yesterday a friend lent me his dremel and I saw straight away it was much more powerful. I tried it out on Ollie again and it seemed to have no effect? He was slightly bothered by the sensation and his nails did not seem to be changing. I held the dremel perpendicular to his nails. He has quite long nails as he does not take well to cutting them at all and we put it off longer than we should.

Any advice?

TIA

also, make sure you are using rough sandpaper if this is the first time you have used it. i used rough all the time but you could use finer sandpaper if you use the dremel regularly.

as said above, you need to put pressure onto the nail BUT please only do it in short bursts of no more than 5 seconds then go to the next nail as the nail becomes very hot. i do this then go back to the first nail after i have done the others and start again.

when you get close to the quick the dog will show you as they get a bit more discomfort.

Hold it horizontally with the coarsest sanding cylinder there is on it.

Hold the nail and press down on the rotating cylinder..

Edited to add.

Just had a thought are you right or left handed.

Use it in your right hand, in the left it may be going in the wrong direction.

Edited by oakway

You shouldn't have to press barely at all - let the dremmel do the work. If you press you increase the heat that the friction causes - this will hurt your dog and you might find that all of a sudden you have ground down too far. I would suggest you may be using the wrong attachment. You need the course sandpaper attachment.

Make sure his ear fringings are out of the road or you will be :driving:

DEFINITELY agree with this. The dremmel is so fast that it would catch the hair and you won't be able to stop fast enough for it to not hurt/cause damage. Prepare well beforehand.

Edited by Erny

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

complete instructions are on here

yes do it in little increments with some pressure as it can heat the nail a lot.

Love my dremel! :thanks:

After years of struggling to use clippers on Bullmastiff dog nails, I brought a dremel, read the instructions on the link above and never looked back.

Unfortunately my old dogs have never adjusted to the dremel and I still have to use the clippers on them, but all my young dogs get trained to the dremel as babies and it makes my life so much easier. :eek: About once a fortnight I do a couple of passes across all the nails (dogs know to expect a treat after each foot is complete) only leaving the dremel on each nail about 2-3 secs max. That's it! No struggling, cursing or swearing LOL...

My tips for the dremel are keep anything that might get caught up away from the spinning head (eg: dogs ears , long hair, loose mattress covers), use coarse sandpaper and change when it loses its roughness, and just start with a quick light touch on the nail - building up to a couple of seconds as the dog gets used to the vibration.

JR

Too right, I have a stocking but it seems to just tear and let all his hair through anyway lol

Put a snood on his head to keep his ears out of the way, tie your own hair back (if you have long hair) and poke each toe through a hole in the toe of a thick sock so the grinder doesn't catch the foot hair.