Constipated Puppy

msn

Hi all,

My 4 month old Lhasa Apso puppy, Benny, is constipated. When I took him for his morning walk today he was trying very hard to poop but he couldn't do it. He was making noises and getting really frustrated. I tried to feed him after we got back but no luck. he just kept trying hard to poop even in the house which he never does.

Then, this is going to sound disgusting, but I lifted his tail and found the poo stuck there. So I gave him an ass shower and took out his stuck poo. He's feeling a lot better now and has even had his food. I'm just wondering what may have have caused this and what I can do to prevent it from happening again? Do I need to take Benny to the vet right away? Is there any home remedy I can feed him?

We feed him half a cup of Proplan puppy food twice a day and then of course there are his pork or chicken liver treats. We walk him thrice a day.

Any help will be muchly appreciated!

Cheers

MN

Had you noticed a difference in his water intake?

Are there any other issues with him? eg change of playfulness or appetite?

If he isnt drinking regulary or has another tough one I would suggest going to the vet.

Maybe phone the breeder as well??

Had you noticed a difference in his water intake?

Are there any other issues with him? eg change of playfulness or appetite?

If he isnt drinking regulary or has another tough one I would suggest going to the vet.

Maybe phone the breeder as well??

Hi Bobchic,

No I haven't noticed any difference in him. He's been plyful, eating and as much as I recall drinking well too.

I phoned the breeder and she said he probably didn't have enough water so maybe that's why. She said I should monitor him for the next 2 to 3 days and if this continues then go to the vet. Do you concur?

thanks

His coat's getting longer now. He might need the area around his anus trimmed for hygiene purposes.

If the straining continues, I'd be off to the vet.

Walking 3 times a day is a lot for a baby puppy - how long do you walk him for?

thanks poodlefan. i'll look for a groomer who can do that for benny

in terms of his walks - we just take him out so he can do his business. it's not more than a 15 minute trip

His coat's getting longer now. He might need the area around his anus trimmed for hygiene purposes.

If the straining continues, I'd be off to the vet.

Walking 3 times a day is a lot for a baby puppy - how long do you walk him for?

thanks poodlefan. i'll look for a groomer who can do that for benny

in terms of his walks - we just take him out so he can do his business. it's not more than a 15 minute trip

small fluffy breeds NEED to have their bottoms trimmed - it was a common thing with puppy owners that a poo was stuck to the anus and the poor dog could not go toilet.

check it regularly and keep it trimmed :thumbsup:

If he is constipated you can either give him some sardines in a bit of vegetable oil or could try some Slippery Elm powder which you can get from the supermarket :thumbsup: Although consult your breeder before using with a puppy :thumbsup:

I have slippery elm powder on hand at my house as its good if they get a case of diarrhoea or contipation :thumbsup:

small fluffy breeds NEED to have their bottoms trimmed - it was a common thing with puppy owners that a poo was stuck to the anus and the poor dog could not go toilet.

check it regularly and keep it trimmed :laugh:

Even trimmed it will still get stuck ,You have a breed where you need to check daily for issues there.

Once poo has stuck it will block his ability to toilet..

When groom many dogs where owners dont get & the dogs come in with poo pancaked to there butt