Worming Treatments

shells

As the subtitle says What is the difference between a worming treatment you get at the vet compared to the ones in the supermarket?

At the moment my guys are on monthly Interceptor chews (from our Vet) but my male pup doesnt like them - the female takes them no problems and was looking at trying something else.

Any advice would be great :)

I have attended a few lectures on wormers and it's my understanding that a wormer does not have to be 100% effective to be called or sold as a wormer.

For example wormer A may only be 75% effective at killing all worms, but wormer B is 95% effective. So, you usually pay more for wormer B and it might be one a vet might recommend. They also may have a budget priced one, to cater for everyone.

Also different wormers contain different ingredients as some upset the animals stomach. Some companies also believe that their ingredients are the most effective.

My personal belief is that you get what you pay for with a wormer. Drontal is top of the range and the most effective, but it's also by far the most expensive.

I alternate my wormers to save money. They get drontal one time, then when next due they get endoguard, then next drontal again.

Edited by redarachnid

I generally use Paratek Plus All wormers.

SUpermarket ones I have heard a number of reports that they are pretty crap. And like already said, you get what you pay for.

I order my stuff from an online vet place and it works out much cheaper in the end.

Drontal is good, and yes you pay through the nose for it.

For me, I don't need the chewable tablets as mine take normal tablets without issue

If you actually take the time to read the labels and compare ingredients you may be pleasantly surprised.

Do your homework and you can find products that will do the job. :laugh:

I agree - read through the active ingredients (and the actual amounts of each 1) and you could be very surprised, I found when looking it is possible to get good quality wormers without paying a fortune. Looking online is good as you can bring up the product specs for each brand of wormer you are looking at.

We had a dog on exelpet come in with a bad case of worms..

I think with these products.. its very much you get what you pay for.. that being said.. a lot of the better products from vets can also be found pretty cheaply online.

I have seen puppies dosed with drontal with worm burdens, can be a few reasons why.

Easy to blame the drug too when quite often a proper schedule isn't stuck to or owners pop medication in food and it isn't eaten, or the dog spits it out.

Read the labels, regardless of the price if the ingredients are spot on then they will be effective, if used correctly.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will compare the Interceptor to some other brands. I have been buying online - I have been able to buy flea and worm treatments for nearly $20 less than my Vet!

Easy to blame the drug too when quite often a proper schedule isn't stuck to or owners pop medication in food and it isn't eaten, or the dog spits it out.

I always supervise - I want to make sure that it is taken - especially with 2 young kids in the house that love "puppy kisses".