Asbestos

Hi all,

I just discovered that a garden fish pond installed by a previous owner of our house is made from asbestos (moulded concrete/asbestos). One of my retrievers carried a piece of it around in her mouth and chewed it a bit. I've removed as much of it as I can find now. Anyone have any idea if this is likely to cause her issues in the future? Hopefully she didn't inhale any of it... not sure if ingestion is a problem or not.

Ben

Hi all,

I just discovered that a garden fish pond installed by a previous owner of our house is made from asbestos (moulded concrete/asbestos). One of my retrievers carried a piece of it around in her mouth and chewed it a bit. I've removed as much of it as I can find now. Anyone have any idea if this is likely to cause her issues in the future? Hopefully she didn't inhale any of it... not sure if ingestion is a problem or not.

Ben

Hi Ben-

Get someone professional in to remove the asbestos pond if it is still there. You will need to monitor your dog and mention it to your vet as well. I'm aware of three dogs that died because they sniffed and licked around an asbestos fence - and your dog is likely to have sniffed as well as injested.

Very nasty stuff.

Asbestos is dangerous to the lungs, not the digestive system. The time required for asbestos diseaseas to appear is generally long in comparison with a dog's lifetime. So I wouldn't panic. I would, however, look for informed advice . . . and get rid of the worry cause it's better to have a worry-free environment.

Asbestos is dangerous to the lungs, not the digestive system. The time required for asbestos diseaseas to appear is generally long in comparison with a dog's lifetime. So I wouldn't panic. I would, however, look for informed advice . . . and get rid of the worry cause it's better to have a worry-free environment.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am having it removed professionally this afternoon... Bad enough having her health on my concious, heaven forbid any other humans being exposed! It's such an evil product.

Will spend some time scouring the backyard over the coming days just incase she's hidden some more away.