First Time In Obedience

I am quite involved the in the showring, but having a highly intelligent dog (dobermann) I am keen to give Obedience a try.

Have been doing some training with her and she works beautifully for me.

Would like to enter a trial soon, I know my dog is capable of all the exercises, just need to work on my footwork/commands etc as she is more likely to fail through handler error than anything else!

Has anyone in the showring had a go at obedience? What were your experiences?

I am quite involved the in the showring, but having a highly intelligent dog (dobermann) I am keen to give Obedience a try.

Have been doing some training with her and she works beautifully for me.

Would like to enter a trial soon, I know my dog is capable of all the exercises, just need to work on my footwork/commands etc as she is more likely to fail through handler error than anything else!

Has anyone in the showring had a go at obedience? What were your experiences?

I went the other way.. from obedience to showing.

I dont' think comparisons are all that helpful going either way. Each activity requires different handling skills to get the best out of the dog. Most people on one side of the fence seem to think the other one will be easy.. and often it's not.

Just see how you go and good luck!

AD I show my Labs (well OH handles them) and we also do obedience with them.

I have been showing on and off for many years, with a 'children' break in the middle but this year is the first time I have ever trialled in obedience.

I love it, my girl loves it and knows the difference between when we are trialling and when my son or OH have her in the ring.

I went the other way too...from obedience with Beagles to the show ring.

All I can say is that the stand for exam experience gained in the show ring has improved the stability in my current dog in the obedience ring. Well at least it has been for my Beagle. My GSP puppy is currently struggling with the stand for exam in obedience as she is used to my hand under her jaw. So I am changing the word I use in the ring from stand to show.

In obedienc,e I find it easier as all you have to worry about is doing it right yourself. As long as your dog is trained well enough it will keep up with the exercises, so you will do well. Generally point deductions are all handler error based anyway. Of course my second Beagle had attitude and if he thought you had treated him unjustly prior to entering the ring he would do something naughty such as running out to the dumbell only to wee on it.

My fingers are crossed for Beagle number 3 as he enters the obedience ring for the first time next weekend.

Edited by BeagleBoys2

My fingers are crossed for Beagle number 3 as he enters the obedience ring for the first time next weekend.

Hey Shelley - how exciting!! Whereabouts is the trial??

I thought I would try home grounds at Metro first. So wish us luck as we are entered in both CCD and Novice Sweepstakes. :)

I did obedience as well as showed Pele from when she was a puppy. Most breeders that I spoke to said not to teach her to sit. Why? I thought, dogs aren't stupid and know the difference between show and obedience. Pele AKA "Aust. Ch. Trahern Glenariff (ai) CD" has both show and obedience titles.

Pele is rock solid on her stand for exam :eek: Jessie, my previous Bull Terrier (no papers) would go into a wriggling, happy mess at stand for exam if the instructor had ever petted her in the past. We got to Novice trial level, but never competed. With Pele I think that both complemented each other as in the show ring Pele would stand at the end of the lead and focus on me (well, the bait) and run around the ring nicely in heel position without pulling and stand for exam is a piece of cake :eek:

Go for it, and let the world know that your dog has beauty as well as brains :)

Hey Shelley - how exciting!! Whereabouts is the trial??

I thought I would try home grounds at Metro first. So wish us luck as we are entered in both CCD and Novice Sweepstakes. :)

Oh, I remember Maree mentioning there were sweepstakes on at Metro - can you PM me the details (time etc) and I will try and come along to watch :eek:

Most breeders that I spoke to said not to teach her to sit. Why? I thought, dogs aren't stupid and know the difference between show and obedience.

I have never had a problem having an obedience dog in the show ring doing a sit. When they were puppies it was a different matter but show puppies sit too. They should know the command stand with or without a hand signal so it's not a problem.

Most breeders that I spoke to said not to teach her to sit. Why? I thought, dogs aren't stupid and know the difference between show and obedience.

I have never had a problem having an obedience dog in the show ring doing a sit. When they were puppies it was a different matter but show puppies sit too. They should know the command stand with or without a hand signal so it's not a problem.

And all the terrier people used to look on with their mouths agape when I'd swing Pele around on the end of a tug rope to get her excited before going into the ring, then command her to "Give" and then focus her back on me :) Just rules from day one :eek:

I did both with my Dobe. She was trained in both from the start.

Angel ended up with her champion title - including a Best In Show, a month after her highest in Trial at The Darwin Royal, which she gained around two months after her ET title.

My attitude was why not - dogs are smart, we can have it all!

I used different leads in the show ring compared with obedience, used different commands, moved differently myself and wore different clothes. Lots and lots of cues for a doggy to work from!

Good luck with your new endeavours and I am sure you will both have a great time and love it. :)

Go for it. I have dabbled in both show and obedience. I have in my kennel an Aust Grand Ch and Obedience Ch the first ever in Australia and now on to my second . He is nearly a Aust Grand Ch and is trialing in UD at the present time.

Keeps you fit ans active and the dogs just love it.

Go for it. I have dabbled in both show and obedience. I have in my kennel an Aust Grand Ch and Obedience Ch the first ever in Australia and now on to my second . He is nearly a Aust Grand Ch and is trialing in UD at the present time.

Keeps you fit ans active and the dogs just love it.

That's awesome! Can I ask which breed? :rofl:

I would like to give showing a go one day with a future puppy, but obedience will always be my #1. I say do as much as you want with your dog if you have the time and inclination to do so! :)

My current girl was trained in both from baby puppy. I have always been an obedience person but decided to try something different with this girl. Depending on the breed there are some differences in training but if you train different commands and teach the dog what you want then you shouldn't have a problem.

For example, my girl is glued to my leg staring up at me during heel work, for showing she is running at a gait looking straight ahead usually just in front of me - I use two different commands for these exercises and don't have any problems with her getting confused.