20 Minute Walk

all that glitters

Is this too much for a 6month old shepherd? If we walk around the block it takes 15-25 mins depending on how often she smells things and if I rush her. We go around the block nearly ever morning, is it too much for her growing hips and bones?? She never seems tired from it and I have never thought it was too much cos really that length of time isn't long at all...

Time wise it sounds fine :laugh: One thing... if you are happy , in a few months time, to have a dog who stops, sniffs/pees on walks... then keep on letting her do it now :) Otherwise.. let her know that a walk is just that. WALKING . toilet her before you go.. then maybe allow one break in a walk..at a time YOU choose . Use a command.. like "free'( I use "off you go")..then for a couple of minutes, she may sniff and/or toilet. Then..it's back to walking....

:laugh: edited after I put on my glasses and saw mistakes :rofl:

Edited by persephone

Time wise it sounds fine :laugh: One thing... if you are happy , in a few months time, to have a dog who stops, sniffs/pees on walks... then keep on letting her do it now :) Otherwise.. let her know that a walk is just that. WALKING . toilet her before you go.. then maybe allow one break in a walk..at a time YOU choose . Use a command.. like "free'( I use "off you go")..then for a couple of minutes, she may sniff and/or toilet. Then..it's back to walking....

:laugh: edited after I put on my glasses and saw mistakes :)

Good point persephone!! I MUCH prefer her sniffing and walking, sniffing and walking, to steam-train pulling and pulling and in a hurry -- she used to do that when we first leash trained her! It made walks SO unfun. So to have her taking her time and enjoying the outdoors, and sort of satisfying her migration needs? makes me feel good :rofl: She knows to keep going if I give her a quick pop on the leash, unless shes smelling something UBER good. Haha.