Help - My Almost 8yr Old Gsd Is Not Well

Tilly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been no improvements yet. The vet call this morning and we discussed options.

At the moment I have my fingers crossed that it is related to the ear infection and will give him another 24-48 hours to see if there is any improvements.

He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is still drinking well. I am a bit reluctant to feed him but his medication requires food so he is getting small amounts only.

I am desperately hoping for some improvement by this afternoon...

There has been absolutely no signs of improvement :laugh:

It is so hard watching an otherwise active dog just laying there ... thankfully he don't appear to be in pain. :laugh:

After talking to the vet this morning we decided to give him until Monday to see if there is any improvements ... then we will need to seriously look at making some very hard decisions. :D

After talking to the vet this morning we decided to give him until Monday to see if there is any improvements ... then we will need to seriously look at making some very hard decisions. :laugh:

Have you consulted with a good chiro?

I'd at least give that a chance before I looked at making "hard decisions".

I'm hoping for a good turn about for Tilly and yourself.

Sheesh- sorry, but based on the info you have given....and the fairly dire state your dog is in, if he were mine, I would NOT be waiting until Monday!!

Is there not another vet you can go to? What exactly did they test for..and have they considered perhaps he fell and hurt his back or something? ...

have they tested for meningitis?

I am also thinking that IV antibiotics, etc would work a LOT quicker and more effectively than tablets....

I know he's yours, and you are the one watching.... I just worry that something has been missed......

:laugh:

Edited by persephone

I was going to say I would be very concerned at this stage that it may be neurological and he really needs a further workup ASAP.

Is he toiletting adequately?

If he has been right as rain with is mobility up until now, it is not just old age or arthritis, it's an acute problem.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

There is still no improvements.

He has not toileted since Friday morning. As he had previously had prostate issues and if he doesn't toilet regularly (ie due to being confined) then he stops peeing - he again has a catheter to drain his bladder. He has had injections for increase the intake of anti-biotics. He is still drinking when offered water but I find if I leave the bucket with him then he will move away from it. I have to encourage him to eat as his medication is in the food (tablets in some mince).

He has no pain in any of his hips, legs or spine - this has been thoroughly checked. He has feeling in his legs and a full range of movement but is unable to stand due to a weakness.

Even though he is at home he is getting regular vet attention. Last time he was in hospital he was locked in his pen and no-one could go near him unless he was sedated - he can't go through that again.

We have discussed a number of possiblities with the vet and at this stage unless there is some improvements then we just can't put him through this - none of the "possibles" are any good so we don't see the need to put him through all the tests when it will change nothing. Vesticular disease was our last hope - that things would improve in a couple of days ... because this would have been the best outcome.

We have discussed a number of possiblities with the vet and at this stage unless there is some improvements then we just can't put him through this - none of the "possibles" are any good

Ohhh that's fair enough then, that's so sad :D :) And your right there's no point putting him through the stress of tests and clinic visits (which he obviously hates) if the outcomes are not definite anyway and prognosis aren't promising

Edited by Shellectra

Tilly .... Here's a link to a report by a person whose dog suffered vestibular disease - in this case claimed to have been caused by the use of a head collar. I don't know if that's what you use on your dog, but even if you do not, that's not the point of my posting the report. My point is to give you knowledge of the experiences of others.

Cervical Vertibrae.pdf

I don't know if this is of any help to you and your boy or not. I hope it is.

Edited by Erny

I took the boy to the vet yesterday for a catheter ... and during the consult a very little tick was found!!!!

This is despite him being checked from head to toe a number of times for ticks - it was the little lump (the size of a pea) that was found rather then the tick itself.

He was immediately treated with anti-serum. The vet wanted him admitted into hospital but after he had a go at one of the nurses - he was allowed to come home with me. She had just told me he needed to be kept calm and stress free - and agreed hospital was not the right place for him.

After a touch and go afternoon and night ... this morning his breathing is a little bit better.

On talking to the vet - he did not have the typical signs of tick paralysis but she said he did not exactly have the right eye movement for Vesticular disease. She wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of both...

I am extremely thankful that he destroyed his catheter ... otherwise the nasty tick might not have been found until it was far too late.

He is on his bed at the moment sleeping peacefully like a little angel.