How To Tell If Dog Has A Temperature

KismetKat

How about using words more suitable to the forum.

And I would also suggest that you get a digital or mercury thermometer and get a proper reading.

Does the dogs body feel hot. Are they stressed in any way?

Usually(but it some circumstances not always, ie on a hot day) a dog that has a nice cool damp nose should have a normal body temperature

Normal temp for a canine is 38.5 but this can be lower or higher for some.

Thanks for the tips about the ears.

I DO have a thermometer, but as I use this with the kids I really don't want to use it where the sun don't shine on the dog :eek:

I was wondering if using under the armpit (and adding a degree) like you do with babies might be a work around.

But I will feel his ears.

Ta people :cheer:

Ta people :eek:

The problem with this it that the result will depend on the temperature of your hands. If you have cold hands the ears will feel warm, if you have warm hands the ears will feel cold.

If in any doubt to a dogs health, take it to the Vet.

I DO have a thermometer, but as I use this with the kids I really don't want to use it where the sun don't shine on the dog :D

I was wondering if using under the armpit (and adding a degree) like you do with babies might be a work around.

Ta people :)

You could buy one for use on the dog/s only. I got a digital one for mine and it was only about $10.

The problem with this it that the result will depend on the temperature of your hands. If you have cold hands the ears will feel warm, if you have warm hands the ears will feel cold.

If in any doubt to a dogs health, take it to the Vet.

I worked for a vet years ago and the first thing we'd check were the ears (and yes, we did use a thermometer too :D ) - I still tend to check my own dogs ears if I think they might have a temp.

No you don't add a degree to an underarm temperature for a baby! Not if you want an accurate result.

Oh jeesh - you don't add a degree??? Is under armpit accuarate then?

Well they are 17 and 12 now - so they survived my being an appalling mother. :rofl:

btw dog is now fine. He had a raised temp at the vet, but I could already tell something was wrong by his behaviour. He was put on ABs but last night he was still acting weird, so why I suspected still having an elevated temp.

But he's acting perfectly normally today.

I will get another thermometer - just still not really happy with the whole up the bum thing - but am sure I can cope.

Just trust I don't mix up the 2 thermometers ;)

I used an ear thermometer on one of my dogs who screamed when anyone put one in her rectum.

I gtook her temperature over various times during the day to bet a baseline, as the ear thermometer isn't that accurate, and it seems to work OK to get an idea about her temperature. This was the vets suggestion and she did need her temperature taken regularly towards the end of her life.

If you have a couple dogs, I'd say do the ear thing on both. If one feels warmer than the other, then it's worth getting out the thermometer.

I once owned a dog who deeply resented the 'rectal' approach . . . temperature taking was the only time she ever bit anyone. Guess what, the vet got it. If you have a similar dog, a muzzle may be a useful prelude to the thermometer.