Obedience Club Recommendation

Nik

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend an obedience club in Melbourne's west. I live in Newport, but am willing to drive a little way if it's worth it! I have an Aussie Shepherd pup who's 16 weeks now, and have done puppy school, and about to start a new course called "super puppy" at a local dog school :laugh: . This way will end up rather expensive, and I've heard/read that a club is a cheaper option, as well as being a wealth of knowledge - and the added bonus of competitions (provided we're good enough :laugh: )

Thanks in advance

Nik

As someone that has trained with a "private" dog training business and now at Werribee Obedience Dog Club I give Werribee a HUGE :laugh:

The amount of knowledge there is amazing and there is always someone that is able to help you no matter what your problem is. And not only that it is HEAPS cheaper to train there. That makes a huge differance when you are training 3 dogs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking on the internet, and Altona has an Obedience Club. Anyone have any experience with this place? My only reservations about it is that they require your dog to wear a correction chain.

I personally wouldn't recommend Altona. I am not going to bad mouth a club on a puplic forum so please feel free to PM me. They are also not a member of the VCA so not great if you want to trial in the future.

We were members of Altona (actually, we still are paid up) but will not be rejoining. There were a couple of good instructers, but the culture of the club is very insular, and both the dogs and us became very bored doing the same things over and over and over....the final straw was a dog aggessive dog in our class that was so uncontrollable that it just distracted every other dog, and my boy (who was young) was quite fearful and we felt the whole lesson had just become a waste of time. The other thing is that the club is not a member of the VCA so you are not given any information and support if you are interesting in obedience trialling -infact, a number of the instructors would repeatedly tell you how hard it is to do and who only the best dogs get to compete (I suspect a number of them are actively trialling).

We're in Kingsville/Yarraville area, so we are going to try out the Northern Obedience Dog Club in Moonee Ponds. I spoke with the secretary a while ago, who was very helpful and friendly - she also returned my call very quickly, which was not our experience with the other club!

Guest CaptainCourageous

Several DOL'ers train at Northern, and for Obedience they should be your first choice despite the proximity of Altona.

For Agility it's Blackshaw's Reserve (ADCV) on Friday nights.

CC

Hey while we are on the subject of dog training in the Western Subs of Melbourne, does any one know anything about Dog Training in Yarraville? Like who runs it what their methods are and what they teach? Over the last few months I have been told there is a club there but can't find any info on it.

I too, personally wouldn't go back to Altona ODC unless they changed their training methods alot. And there is few other reasons too, which I won't go into on here.

Werribee is a much better club (I have been there for a very long time, and still enjoy it) and have meet some wonderful people there too, like Melody and RachelleBuck for starters

If a Saturday Club doesn't suit you, you can look at Northern or Hobson's Bay Community DC in Port Melbourne that train on a Sunday Morning.