Bloodhound

Troy

woohoo...Shaylee. :eek: Did she handle Shelly or the Aussie for the junior handler...or maybe something else, as I think I recall the Aussie was blowing her coat?? Fingers crossed for the Thomas family on Sunday...is Steve any good as texting as I'de love to know??

Did get a chance to ask Steve HH..so unsure whether Shaylee showed the Aussie or the Bloodhound.

If I receive any news from today's final at the Royal from Steve, I'll post it...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for breed interest...BOB Sydney Royal Bloodhound 2010

http://www.traffordphotos.com/SydRoyal2010...9Y754D-401.html

Aust Ch Farlap Cautious (Imp UK) (Thomas/Sutcliffe)

Looks good...now we just wait for Sunday to see how she goes in Group

Thanks HH...news just to hand via mobile is that Shaylee Thomas (Shelly's handler in the photo/Steve's daughter) won 1st placing in the Sydney Royal Junior Handler's today, in her age group...even more exciting on Sunday for them now as she goes up against all the other Junior handler winners in their age groups ....go Shaylee :eek:

woohoo...Shaylee. :) Did she handle Shelly or the Aussie for the junior handler...or maybe something else, as I think I recall the Aussie was blowing her coat?? Fingers crossed for the Thomas family on Sunday...is Steve any good as texting as I'de love to know??

I'll be at the hound Show today so i might send Steve a text from there and hope that Shaylee sees it & might reply with the results : :)

She looks good :( and doesnt it annoy you when they behave better/stack better for someone else!!!! Mine all do it without a problem for my 13 yr old,me they just go "no thanks,not today" :(

Interestingly enough, even though she is a hypo puppy, she stacks fairly easily. It's getting her nose off the ground that is my biggest problem at the moment. I can keep her up for a few strides, then she gets deeper & deeper and tries to run with her nose along the ground - like when we trail!! I'm sure it will get easier..but i am going to by a very thin check/show chain rather than having her in a slip lead.

well done Shaylee and Shelly

Yes, a big welcome Farlap...good to see you here :laugh:

Not heard back from Steve so unsure how Shaylee went in the finals for Junior Handlers at the Royal.

Shaylee did fantastic in any case. :laugh:

well done Shaylee and Shelly

Yes, a big welcome Farlap...good to see you here :laugh:

Not heard back from Steve so unsure how Shaylee went in the finals for Junior Handlers at the Royal.

Shaylee did fantastic in any case. :laugh:

there were alot of results flying around at the Hound show on Sunday & unfortunately I recall someone mentioning another name for Junior Handler. A lady, who owns ridgees, and who I have met through Steve & Shaylee, did ask if Shaylee got reserve but I didn't hear an answer, as I had to go into the ring. Can you post on here or PM me with the final result...

Cheers

Just got back from mudgee where i picked up the boy from scone.He had a good go when i went to pick up his lead,and managed to get a finger :D ,he has severe generalised demodex mange and associated bacterial staph infection over entire body .Ear canals are completely blocked on one side,both heavy yeast infections.His legs are so bad with demodex they are bald and extremely wrinkled-looks like elephant skin.

Extremely poor hind end,hips will be getting x rayed tomorrow,but at this stage looks to be advanced arthritis/HD.

He is ok with other dogs,but showed aggression with other people-so at this stage his future is doubtful,medical issues aside,the aggression is what is worrying.

Will let everyone know tomorrow after he gets the complete vet check up.He would have been a stunning dog,full blanket black,and even bigger than the big liver/tan boy i had-obviously has some good bloodlines somewhere,as most of the "purebred" bloodhounds i have seen from that way are skinny,cross types.I just dont know how people can treat them like this :rofl:

Just got back from mudgee where i picked up the boy from scone.He had a good go when i went to pick up his lead,and managed to get a finger :rofl: ,he has severe generalised demodex mange and associated bacterial staph infection over entire body .Ear canals are completely blocked on one side,both heavy yeast infections.His legs are so bad with demodex they are bald and extremely wrinkled-looks like elephant skin.

Extremely poor hind end,hips will be getting x rayed tomorrow,but at this stage looks to be advanced arthritis/HD.

He is ok with other dogs,but showed aggression with other people-so at this stage his future is doubtful,medical issues aside,the aggression is what is worrying.

Will let everyone know tomorrow after he gets the complete vet check up.He would have been a stunning dog,full blanket black,and even bigger than the big liver/tan boy i had-obviously has some good bloodlines somewhere,as most of the "purebred" bloodhounds i have seen from that way are skinny,cross types.I just dont know how people can treat them like this :laugh:

bloody hell...did they tell you the state he was in before you picked him up or was it a complete shock. Poor boy..sounds like he would be rather miserable at the moment. Do you think the aggression is stemmed from abuse or maybe even pain from all the health problems??

On a more positive note...how is the other boy going? Has he started to get some weight on him?

Edited by Hunterhound

nope I don't think that the pound did tell Centitout about his condition.

poor boy

when I picked him up I could tell something wasn't right with his back legs how they were :rofl: to my very unobserved eye it looked poor nutrition as a pup but I think Centitout thinks that is only one of the causes. I was hoping that the agression was only from going from the pound into my car then being moved from my car and he was very confused but it sounds a bit more serious than that :rofl: he was a nice looking boy, or would be if he had a bit of a fair go in life. :laugh:

Hudson is doing well,still slow gaining weight,but you need to put it back on slowly anyway,same with starved horses.

He absolutely loves going for a walk,and at feeding time i have never seen a hound do the zoomies so much as an adult-it is really rather undignified-he does full 360 spins :laugh: He has an amazing temperament.

And no,pound never said a word about that poor hounds condition,just that he had a sooky temperament,so to say i was a bit distressed when i saw him is an understatement.Will know the full extent of his problems tomorrow.

And thank you Onsntilloflash for your huge effort to get him to Mudgee,i think both of us did an 8 hr round trip today.

Popped in to see if there was any news on the Scone boy...

Centitout, so sorry to hear the boy is in such a dreadful state....when I first talked to the ranger there, he said the dog had a happy temperament and was in good 'nic'.....maybe these people need "vetting" first before they assess a dog that comes into their care !

This was a dog the local newspaper was advertising for a good home too...just unreal :rofl:

Sounds like you certainly didn't pick up the dog that was described to me :laugh:

Im sorry to hear all this but if the dog is not good with people then seriously, there is only one decision for him.

Trust me in saying we know what a "nasty" Bloodhound is like and have proof of what a Bloodhound can do (meaning photos I have of my OH's face after surgery)..... and it was an unprovoked attack.

OH is permanently scar'd now.

This was NOT one of our own hounds or their lineage by the way, but they can make a mess of one's face in a single aggro bite.

Personally, I know you help many a rescue hound BUT I would not spend a ton of $$$ on this dog to see what else is wrong & then try to hand him on with an risky nature like this.

I know I sound hard but facts are facts...if he were trusting & sweet then he's worth all the trouble...if not, a place of peace is best for him where no one else can treat him unkindly nor he continue in a life he is so untrusting of now.

Good luck !!!

PS..glad Hudson is doing well

Edited by Beauie

Thanks Beauie,

i thought Hudson was bad,but this dog is so bad,just the infection he has from the untreated demodex is extreme,and yes,h e has to be in pain,i can understand that it may cause him to be aggressive.But i too will not tolerate aggression-i think this poor guy has been abused+in pain,something i cannot risk,so i know i will make the right decision if i need too.

He is not in a rehomeable state-it will cost a fortune for the mange/AB treatment alone,he had trouble walking properly.

I had to put down a rescue hound from really good breeding years ago,because she was so food aggressive,the people had been feeding her from the end of a broom,and i didnt move fast enough one day-sheer fright gave me the strength to keep her off me-she was pts 1/2 hr later,but any other time she was the sweetest dog.

If i do have to make that call today,i just hope everyone understands,and he will have at least one night with some affection shown to him.

Thanks Beauie,

i thought Hudson was bad,but this dog is so bad,just the infection he has from the untreated demodex is extreme,and yes,h e has to be in pain,i can understand that it may cause him to be aggressive.But i too will not tolerate aggression-i think this poor guy has been abused+in pain,something i cannot risk,so i know i will make the right decision if i need too.

He is not in a rehomeable state-it will cost a fortune for the mange/AB treatment alone,he had trouble walking properly.

I had to put down a rescue hound from really good breeding years ago,because she was so food aggressive,the people had been feeding her from the end of a broom,and i didnt move fast enough one day-sheer fright gave me the strength to keep her off me-she was pts 1/2 hr later,but any other time she was the sweetest dog.

If i do have to make that call today,i just hope everyone understands,and he will have at least one night with some affection shown to him.

Centitout....no one would judge you poorly AT ALL should you have to make that decision. I totally agree with Beauie that you cannot take the risk with aggression issues in such a powerful & large breed....especially seeing you do not know the full history of this dog.

I'm sure you will assess the situation well and make the correct decision!!

you are welcome Centitout and now I have seen a bloodhound.

certainly talking to Centitout briefly yesterday she stated that one thing that she did not tolerate was agression particularly in such a large breed.

The pound ranger seemed a nice bloke. But I don't think that rangers in country pounds are there all the time, they have other duties, could be wrong. thinking back the kennels were a bit dark, if he had a few pens to do, he may have just hosed the pen out, fed Spanner and given him water then go on to do the same with the next pen rather than looking over him properly. I don't know. He seemed to like Spanner though and described him as a big pissing, pooping, eating machine in a kind sort of way. Maybe Spanner was okay at the pound because sadly felt safe there and didn't have much human contact. But he just can't cope with the real world. :thumbsup:

give Spanner a pat from me please Centitout, any decision made on him I know will be the right one.

Came in for an update - what a damn shame about this boy - i totally understand the concern with agression - they are such large and powerful dogs that this would be a real concern.

Centitout - well done for taking the time and caring enough to do what is best for all - it is sad that it sounds like this boy is one who can't be helped :) but thank goodness he went to you and not some inexperienced owner - that could have been a tragedy in the making

onstillnflash - well done to you too for putting in the time and effort to make sure this boy got the best chance possible

:thumbsup::)

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

I have just come back from the vets,and sadly the decision was made to send Spanner over the bridge.He did the same as yesterday,he was ok in the car,but when i opened it up to take him out,he got quite aggro with the vet just looking at him,not even touching him,and he was so fearful he had a few meaningful snaps.

His hips were shocking,we didnt end up x raying,palpation and manipulation was enough to confirm,he also had a palpable mass in his abdomen.That combined with the demodex/staph is just too much for a dog to have to put up with and could partly account for his aggressive behaviour-but i would never have been able to rehome him with a clear conscience even if yo ucould find someone to deal with the health issues.

Just wish they would have had a proper look before everyone invested time and money into bringing him here,but at least he had a pat and a hug and kind words to help him go,he did wag his tail a few times as if apologing for being the way he is before he went.

happy trailing Spanner