Congestive Cardiac Failure

Cathaven

Hi all, just seeking some information. My little 11yr mini dach has Congestive Cardiac Failure and has just had 24hrs at the vets on a lasix infusion as he got Pulmonary Oedema. I thought they were going to have to put me in hospital as well as I was a right mess. I know he is 11 but he is a young 11 and would like him around for a few more years yet, selfish I may seem I know, but just love him so much. Don't worry I wouldn't let him suffer, I'm realistic enough to realise that when he has to go he has to go.....anyway won't start or I'll be a basket case again.

Anyway he is home on Vetmedin, Fortekor and Lasix and I have just been on line, and looking at a sight from America called Canine Heart Health, and it appears pretty impressive. I keep Ricky on a good raw meat diet with lots of vegies as well as Carnitine and Taurine and have a multivitamin/mineral compound coming which will also help. I also have him on a Heart Tonic from Robert McDowell in Dubbo.

But what I was wondering is if anyone has ordered/used the tonics/rememdies from this organisation????? Does anyone know if I can get all these remedies here in Australia. Just to save a bit of money.

Any advice is appreciated......

cheers Cathaven

You could try a holistic homeopathic vet. Not sure if there's one in Qld, though.

Much sympathy. I've had a dog that was oedemic, with pleural effusion. It thankfully resolved after a Lasix injection, though I only had him for a short time after that. The breathing sound at night was bloody horrible.

You could try a holistic homeopathic vet. Not sure if there's one in Qld, though.

Much sympathy. I've had a dog that was oedemic, with pleural effusion. It thankfully resolved after a Lasix injection, though I only had him for a short time after that. The breathing sound at night was bloody horrible.

So sorry Sheridan, it is so hard to loose a loving pet. Words cannot say enough at such times......

It's good he is stable now.

I had a dog diagnosed with end stage Cardiomyopathy at 8 and a half. She was on what your boy is and more! I didn't use any of the supplements you have mentioned as I didn't have the time, however I would suggest that you look around for a natropathic vet in your area, or even one that will do phone consults.

I am sure you could get something in Australia. I am sure custome would be a nightmare from the US as most of the preparations are plant/seed based.

Goodluck and I hope he stays stable for you.

you have to be able to do the job of his failing system. He will be on diuretics so his body is removing the fluid which his poor circulation is now not properly moving to the kidneys.

If it was my dog I would be sticking with the meds until he is stable and happy before relying on tonics, and would be consulting a holistic veterinarian with a proven record of treating this condition without traditional meds.

you have to be able to do the job of his failing system. He will be on diuretics so his body is removing the fluid which his poor circulation is now not properly moving to the kidneys.

If it was my dog I would be sticking with the meds until he is stable and happy before relying on tonics, and would be consulting a holistic veterinarian with a proven record of treating this condition without traditional meds.

Agreed.

I would be very wary of starting him on any holistic treatments unless they have been prescribed by a vet who understands any interactions with his current medication.

Just because medications are natural does not mean they cannot have interestions and side effects.

My rescue Cavalier Wookie has a 5/6 mitral murmur - and luckily at this stage is asymptomatic. Its so strong you can feel the 'woosh' of the murmur if you

touch his front legs :love: Im dreading the day (and it will come) when he starts to go into congestive heart failure.

I hope you little man stays confortable and responds well to the medications for a long while yet :)

Agreed.

I would be very wary of starting him on any holistic treatments unless they have been prescribed by a vet who understands any interactions with his current medication.

Just because medications are natural does not mean they cannot have interestions and side effects.

My rescue Cavalier Wookie has a 5/6 mitral murmur - and luckily at this stage is asymptomatic. Its so strong you can feel the 'woosh' of the murmur if you

touch his front legs :love: Im dreading the day (and it will come) when he starts to go into congestive heart failure.

I hope you little man stays confortable and responds well to the medications for a long while yet :)

We had a Minnie foxy diagnosed at 13 years with symptoms of a cough. She was prescribed vetmedin and aldactone and went on to live till she was 18. The vetmedin is great but expensive at the time we paid $150 every 50 days. But it was well worth it. We didn't give her any other supplements. The same she was a very spritely girl for her age.

Have to say that when my boy was diagnosed with kidney failure, I found the Americans, in particular, dead keen on supplements for everything rather than providing a sensible diet that had all the supplementary bits and pieces included, hence the suggestion for a homeopathic vet.

We had a Minnie foxy diagnosed at 13 years with symptoms of a cough. She was prescribed vetmedin and aldactone and went on to live till she was 18. The vetmedin is great but expensive at the time we paid $150 every 50 days. But it was well worth it. We didn't give her any other supplements. The same she was a very spritely girl for her age.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I have been a very stressed out neurotic, worried, needy Mum of a beautiful little boy that I really don't want to let go of just yet. I guess you can understand how I feel.

I will be sticking with all the vets meds, and as he has only just started on Vetmedin on Sunday am looking forward to the results. This has been a terrible time for us both. I am getting that way where I am getting very obsessive about it all and doing heaps of research whilst at the same time getting super stressed out. Your advice and encouragement has meant a lot. We go back to the vets on Thursday to see how he is doing. In the meantime I am going to try and enjoy each and everyday with him for as long as I have him.

I am not getting him anything from America, way too expensive.

Thank you all so much once again........ and if anyone can think of anything else I am open to suggestion....

Cathaven, try to relax around him. Dogs are very good at picking up their owner's stress. Give him lots of cuddles and enjoy him. Keep us up-to-date as to how he's going, especially what the vet says. :)

Thanks, I am feeling much better tonight and yes you are quite right they do pick up the vibes. Because I am a lot more relaxed he appears to have gotten a new lease on life. The good thing is, is that he has not coughed at all today and he is drinking heaps as well as coming out the other end and I have started giving him 3 small meals a day (vet approved) and these meals are loaded with vegies/lean raw meat etc and he is really devouring into them.

Yes giving him lots of cuddles. Back to the vet on Thursday........and of course all I am going to hear is a glowing report....

Thanks again, hope you are well.

Will keep all informed

yeehaa just found an animal holistic centre in Queensland called Animal Options Veterinary ClinicUnit 8, 29 Blanck St, Ormeau, QLD 4208

p: (07) 55466756 f: (07) 55466939

http://www.animaloptions.com.au

Check them out they seem really good and have great qualifications.

cheers Cathaven

It's good he is stable now.

I had a dog diagnosed with end stage Cardiomyopathy at 8 and a half. She was on what your boy is and more! I didn't use any of the supplements you have mentioned as I didn't have the time, however I would suggest that you look around for a natropathic vet in your area, or even one that will do phone consults.

I am sure you could get something in Australia. I am sure custome would be a nightmare from the US as most of the preparations are plant/seed based.

Goodluck and I hope he stays stable for you.

Hi Rommimum, have found a clinic in Queensland that seem very good, their details Animal Options Veterinary ClinicUnit 8, 29 Blanck St, Ormeau, QLD 4208

p: (07) 55466756 f: (07) 55466939

http://www.animaloptions.com.au

check them out....they seem to have great qualifications and just up my alley....

cheers Cathaven

I feel the pain you are experiencing...

I lost my cavie just over 3 months ago. The meds she was on bought us a couple more months than we were expecting.

I hope that your boy gets good results from the meds, just remember to enjoy the last years you have with him.

The medications will really help. One of my dogs in congestive heart failure was a crash test dummy for Vetmedin when it first became available in Aus. Raw diet has been proven to help. Google Enzyme Q10, it seems to help too. Lots of positive informaaton on it. Check the holistic meds wont negate the "normal" drugs and you should be fine. Hope you get many years together.

Don't vaccinate her again either.

The medications will really help. One of my dogs in congestive heart failure was a crash test dummy for Vetmedin when it first became available in Aus. Raw diet has been proven to help. Google Enzyme Q10, it seems to help too. Lots of positive informaaton on it. Check the holistic meds wont negate the "normal" drugs and you should be fine. Hope you get many years together.

Don't vaccinate her again either.

Ive got my Cav on Coenzyme Q10 :)

I feel the pain you are experiencing...

I lost my cavie just over 3 months ago. The meds she was on bought us a couple more months than we were expecting.

I hope that your boy gets good results from the meds, just remember to enjoy the last years you have with him.

[/quote

Thank you Slushie and yes I will be making the most of everyday with him. So sorry about your little cavie....boy do they ever get to you hey......I have had so many animals in my life you'd think I'd be used to this by now, but I just get worse as I get older.

I do believe that we see them again, but it certainly doesn't help when we see them go through this, or we have to let them go.

Thanks again Slushie

Cheers Cathaven

I have a dog with a heart condition too, although not CHF - she's on coQ10 also on vet advice.

There's an good yahoo group called CanineCongestiveHeartFailure - it's pretty tightly moderated and they have a very low tolerance for the more 'out there' therapies.

I have a dog with a heart condition too, although not CHF - she's on coQ10 also on vet advice.

There's an good yahoo group called CanineCongestiveHeartFailure - it's pretty tightly moderated and they have a very low tolerance for the more 'out there' therapies.

Thanks dwynwen, how long has your girl been on coq10?

Thank you for the info on the group, I really am into the I wouldn't say alternate but most certainly natural therapies. They have been around for a very long time and I do believe that they should be incorporated into our daily living, even with pets. Appreciate the warning.

Talk to you soon I hope

cheers Cathaven