Abbie Has Had Her Op. That Was So Much Fun Lets Do It Again.

gillbear

My beautiful 7yo rotty girl has done her cruciate today :laugh: and I would like to hear from anyone with info on the success of the different operations for this type of injury.

She is a big girl at 47kg and loves her walks and ball play, so I am looking for options that will give the best result without having to sell my soul for the next few years more than is necessary.

Edited by gillbear

While he's not a heavy Rotti, my (large frame) Goldie was about 34 kilos when he had both his cruciates done (6 months apart) and he had the artificial ligament replacement done each time. All the reading and research I did at the time said large dogs need the TPLO and that the artificial replacement ligament was more suited to smaller dogs - however my vet was confident that what he would do was quite adequate.

That was just over 12 months ago. Each op cost about $1200.

About 3 months ago he had an arthroscopy and the vet said part of the ligament needed reattaching. Ever since the arthroscopy, my dog has been a different dog.

Every single day, someone at the park comments about how well he looks, how fast he runs now, how much energy he has, and just generally how much happier he is.

He does get a daily dose of Metacam, and will probably be on it for the rest of his life, but it has made such a huge difference, and the quality of his life is just so much better.

In contrast, we have friends with Bernese Mountain Dogs, one of whom did her cruciate. She had the TPLO op 12 months ago, and she is still hobbling around and lacks energy. (She is a bit overweight though :laugh: )

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with my vet and I'm trying to think of a great Xmas present for him! :laugh:

Best of luck with your Rotti girl Gillbear, I hope whatever treatment you go with is successful. :laugh:

So sorry to hear about your girl Gillbear. It is a terrible feeling and its a long road but believe me there is light at the end of it.

After a mis-diagnosis from our normal Vet, Asher went on another 5 months before we noticed it again and that time we were goingt o get options and different opinions from other Vets.

After a couple of opinions, we decided to go with the TPLO (Tibial plateau Levelling Osteotomy) as it was best for our dog over the other options.

It has a good success rate, is great for bigger dogs and the other options gave us too many failure options, based only on our personal case (eg, our house block is sloped land with holes and rocks, frisky sister, another dog next door that runs the fence and twisting is inevitable).

You need to weigh up the pros and cons of each option you are given and apply to your own life. The TPLO was the best option for us and we have been successful to date. Today we are at the 8 week Post Op mark and although Asher is still not running around like he used to (the full recovery is approx 6 months) he is getting better everyday.

I have a thread or 2 in this sub forum about our Diagnosis and then there is one called Asher's Post Op Diary. If you would like to partake in some light reading. It might give you an idea as to what your headed for.

Let me know if I can be of any help whatsoever.

Edited by huskyheaven

Results can really seem to vary - I've heard of larger dogs who have had the TPLO with not a lot of success at all and were still quite lame well after the prodecure.

I met a great dane who had recently had his done just with the De Angelis technique and you'd never have known. I personally think a lot of it can come down to how good the surgeon is, as well as how strict the owners are with the after home care.

Thanks guys :rofl: My head is already spinning with TTO's, TPLO's and a multitude of other acronyms.

Thankfully if it was going to happen, then at least the timing isnt too bad. My teenage boys can mind her while I am at work for the next 2 weeks of school holidays and then I have annual leave starting straight afterwards.

The crate has been dusted off, she now has a brand new soft bed and some painkillers to make her comfortable while she is waiting for her op.

Results can really seem to vary - I've heard of larger dogs who have had the TPLO with not a lot of success at all and were still quite lame well after the prodecure.

I met a great dane who had recently had his done just with the De Angelis technique and you'd never have known. I personally think a lot of it can come down to how good the surgeon is, as well as how strict the owners are with the after home care.

Absolutely right, I agree.

I tried to crate my crate(un)trained dog following the surgery however I found just being confined to the house was sufficient.

I also did acupuncture and physio to strengthen the muscles which helps, along with keeping weight down.

Gee, there's so many factors when you think about it!

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

So much to think about.

Abby is already used to the crate, so that is a bonus. But I have a feeling that she considers the lounge more appropriate for her comfort. :rofl:

Thankfully she is in decent shape, but she has already started on reduced meals as of last night to get her nice and lean. I have a small side yard which used to be my foster quarantine area, she will be able to toilet there and access the house easily which will limit her mobility.

My beautiful 7yo rotty girl has done her cruciate today :laugh: and I would like to hear from anyone with info on the success of the different operations for this type of injury.

She is a big girl at 47kg and loves her walks and ball play, so I am looking for options that will give the best result without having to sell my soul for the next few years more than is necessary.

Gillbear, for bigger dogs - look at the osteotomy type surgeries... they generally have better results with larger dogs. My cattle dog girl (who is quite heavy and has been up to 30+ kgs) had tibial wedge osteotomies on both her knees (after the 'scar tissue build up' method surgery was cancelled when the vet said it would never suit her weight range) - never had a problem at all with the TWO. Bit of arthritis sets in after a few years of course, but nothing drastic and Chloe's were REALLY bad. She had them done at 8yo, now 11yo and can run as fast as any other dog you'd meet (although we try to discourage jumping etc now, just to keep her safe).

So consider the osteotomy surgeries (TWO, TPLO etc) - they will be your best bet for best results. However the aftercare plays as much importance as the surgery as well :rofl:

If we can help in any other way or with questions, please let me know!

Well after looking at the pros and cons, I ended up using my regular vet since I trust his work and I could get her operation done quickly and avoid additional damage to the joint due to delay.

Abby had her op yesterday (new artificial ligament) and stayed in overnight since GA's always knock her around. I picked her up first thing this morning and she is looking happier already. Her injury was due to trauma and thankfully there was no sign of disease in the joint, the meniscus was intact which is good.

So she will be on strict rest for the next couple of weeks and then will start rehab after a review.

Thanks for all of the advise. :laugh:

Well after looking at the pros and cons, I ended up using my regular vet since I trust his work and I could get her operation done quickly and avoid additional damage to the joint due to delay.

Abby had her op yesterday (new artificial ligament) and stayed in overnight since GA's always knock her around. I picked her up first thing this morning and she is looking happier already. Her injury was due to trauma and thankfully there was no sign of disease in the joint, the meniscus was intact which is good.

So she will be on strict rest for the next couple of weeks and then will start rehab after a review.

Thanks for all of the advise. :laugh:

Glad you are happy with everything so, and that your girl seems happier too :rofl:

She will be different again in a weeks time and so much better within 2 or 3 weeks - but that is when you have to slow them down as they think they are 100% by then! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Boy I am glad Abbie is healing so well, because she did in her other cruciate today. :)

Thankyou Mr Mastercard and bring on the 2 minute noodles I say.

She has her 2nd op in the morning and I will drag the crate back out which has barely been put away.

Aghhhhhhhh.

Unfortunately the odds of that happening are pretty good... but think of it positively - at least you know what you're in for this time, and an old pro at it all. It will be a breeze second time around right? (NOT)!! :laugh:

Best of luck to you all, hope the second time is successful as the first.

Unfortunately the odds of that happening are pretty good... but think of it positively - at least you know what you're in for this time, and an old pro at it all. It will be a breeze second time around right? (NOT)!! :)

Best of luck to you all, hope the second time is successful as the first.

Yes, it's usually the way...one leg goes and then because the good leg is compensating for the bad one, it always goes as well.

I did find the second time round after the op I was a lot more confident with the post op care and wasn't on DOL asking for advice! :laugh:

Hope all goes well tomorrow :rofl:

Poor Abbie, fingers crossed the second op goes well. I have had so many people tell me Clover will do the other cruciate, that it always happens, even had a vet say to me last week :p.

• 3 weeks later...