Chicken Wings

PuggaWuggles

I'd worry about him swallowing the elastic band.

There is no way he can take it off. I've watched him play with this toy for ages before I will leave him alone with it. he is more interested in biting the sock part where the biscuits are.

Hi charleswentworth,could i use a normal sock with some yummy stuff in it and knot the end,would that have the same interest for him,or too easy to rip open and pig out?

That's a much better idea. If he's not a determined chewer & only gets the food out & not eat the sock. Pigs ears are dangerous too, the go all soggy & can choke on them. Try freezing a sardine or whatever you can think of in a small container of water. The sardine breath doesn't last that long. Tilba has sardines at least every week.

Just be a bit careful. A dog I was minding swallowed a sports sock!! :laugh: He did it right in front of me. We had a nervous wait till it came out the other end. Apparently he did it quite often.

A sports sock :rofl: ,Did you have to wash it again ? :laugh:

That does sound a bit dangerous,ill see what he does with the sock by itself first,but knowing my Puggy,he will chew it to bits. :rofl:

Just be a bit careful. A dog I was minding swallowed a sports sock!! :rofl: He did it right in front of me. We had a nervous wait till it came out the other end. Apparently he did it quite often.

A sports sock :rofl: ,Did you have to wash it again ? :laugh:

That does sound a bit dangerous,ill see what he does with the sock by itself first,but knowing my Puggy,he will chew it to bits. :rofl:

Funnily enough it went straight into the bin :laugh: I know that does seem a bit wasteful!! I watched him like a hawk after that episode. Another time when he came to stay he passed a sock less than a day into his stay and it was definitely not one of ours so he'd 'brought' it from home ;) I'm a bit worried I've not heard from his family for some time so I hope he didn't end up biting off more than he could chew..... Even out on walks he would just grab and swallow anything he came across.

I'd worry about him swallowing the elastic band.

There is no way he can take it off. I've watched him play with this toy for ages before I will leave him alone with it. he is more interested in biting the sock part where the biscuits are.

Hi charleswentworth,could i use a normal sock with some yummy stuff in it and knot the end,would that have the same interest for him,or too easy to rip open and pig out?

yep. normal socks is fine too. i usually leave it for a day and then open the sock up (so he doesn't rip the sock apart)... so he can have the biscuits.

Stuff your kong with a mixture of nature's gift canned food (dilute it with a little water. Mix in a couple of bits of tasty kibble, and a few bits of apple, some grated cheese, plug small hole with peanut butter..and stand up in freezer to freeze :laugh:

^^ :) ^^

I used to mix the kibble with natural yogurt and stuff it in the Kong for Kei as a puppy. Or a bit of cheese spread smeared around the inside with some kibble (it sticks to the spread). You can use anything you like really :mad

Tug-a-jugs are good toys to leave a puppy alone with too. They are pretty indestructable and because the puppy can both see and smell the treats it keeps them busy trying to get them out. :laugh:

I wouldn't be leaving a baby puppy alone with chicken wings just incase he tried to swallow them. Same goes for pigs ears. Larger recreational bones that the puppy can't consume (ie marrow bones) would be okay though. Just make sure there are no sharp bits.

I do occasionally leave Kei alone with wings or necks stuffed into a Kong, however they are very hard to get out -he will mostly keep himself busy by throwing the Kong around and trying to dislodge the bone, then pull a little bit out, nibble a little bit off and go at it again :laugh: - however he is older and is a chewer so I feel pretty safe doing so.

*eta- If you want to freeze your Kongs I found that the easiest way to do so is to stand them upside down in a mug. Easy to stuff that way and they don't fall over in the freezer :hug:

Edited by SecretKei

Morning All,

I've introduced chicken necks to our little 11 week old Stafford over the last few days which he woofs down in seconds.... so i thought i'd up the ante and gave him a nice big juicy chicken wing yesterday. He spent a good 15 minutes chewing/eating the tip and smaller part of the wing, then he moved onto the more meaty section. He chewed it for 5 minutes, then decided to swallow it whole, he coughed it up twice to chew it some more, then on the third attempt to swallow it seemed to get temporarily lodged in his throat. He gagged and cried for 5 seconds then eventually managed to get it down himself. I was supervising him the whole time and sh!t myself when he started gagging.

A couple of questions; is he ok to handle big chicken wings at 11 weeks, is the gagging fairly normal, and god forbid if he were to start chocking do i simply reach in and try to get it out? Can you use the same choking technique for dogs as you do with humans? ie. light upward thrusts on the back to try and dislodge the blockage?

We feed our Stafford babies, chicken wings, necks, roo tail and lamb flap, without incident.

The necks are only fed when they are really little at about 4-6 weeks, from then on it's wings and other larger chunks of bone with meat.

I find that hovering over them, just tends to increase the rate at which they eat and swallow. Feed him somewhere quiet and just sit and watch. Pups often gag and bring things up a few times as they eat. If the pup is really choking then gently pull the wing back out.

You could try turkey wing pieces as there's no way the pup will swallow on of those. Also try larger pieces of lamb flap and roo tail. The pup will get used to chewing it's food and tearing meat from bone.

Thanks for the reply Warley. I was hovering over him, only cause i wanted to make sure he was ok. i am in the habit of touching/patting him during his meals at the moment so we don't have any problems down the track if one of the kids were to stick their hand in his bowl.

I have lamb flap sitting in the freezer ready to go, but i thought i'd give him chicken all week, and then introduce the flap next week. The butcher cut the flap into smaller pieces approx 10cm x 10cm. i haven't been able to find roo tail as yet.

Should i stop feeding the necks now that he's 11 weeks... stick to the wings, carcass, flaps etc?

Thanks for the reply Warley. I was hovering over him, only cause i wanted to make sure he was ok. i am in the habit of touching/patting him during his meals at the moment so we don't have any problems down the track if one of the kids were to stick their hand in his bowl.

I have lamb flap sitting in the freezer ready to go, but i thought i'd give him chicken all week, and then introduce the flap next week. The butcher cut the flap into smaller pieces approx 10cm x 10cm. i haven't been able to find roo tail as yet.

Should i stop feeding the necks now that he's 11 weeks... stick to the wings, carcass, flaps etc?

Leave him alone while he eats, pups and adults do not needs to be disturbed constantly while they are having a meal. If anything, all you are doing is heightening any anxieties that the puppy may be feeling when eating. At the moment the pups is probably not chewing slow enough, as it's trying to gulp down the wings, later this could lead to resource guarding.

Yes, you need to be able to take food of an dog in an emergency and you don't want a dog lashing out as someone has gone close to it's dinner. Feed the pup somewhere quiet and away from the kids, somewhere where the pup feels secure and it not going to be disturbed.

There's some really good reading on here on how to go about teaching puppies and dogs to give up what they are eating, in return for something better like a treat or a toy.

You can still feed your pup necks.