Aussie Or Toller

kiesha09

In the future I want to add another fur baby to the family :laugh: This will only be when the right pup comes along, so no definate time frame as yet.

First and foremost this little girl (already know I want a bitch) with be a well loved pet. But I also would like for this new dog to be involved in dog sports, particularly agility. I love training so this new pup will be burdened :rofl: with playing lots of shaping games, coming out to different training clubs with me a few times a week and going lots of new places. So mental stiumlation will really not be a problem.

I also already walk my two current dogs for about an hour a day, so exercise should not be a problem. I do have extra time to allow for training and exercising a puppy seperately.

I also work full time, however my current two dogs cope with this fine and with the right training I'm confident my new pup will too.

So I have done lots of research on both breeds and met a number of different Aussies and Tollers. Problem is that now I can't choose!!!!!!! :laugh:

So I'm throwing it out to all the expert Aussie and Toller owners out there who already live with one of these breeds to give me your most honest pros and cons of your chosen breed. Please mention ANYTHING that you can think of as all information will be helpful!

Thanks!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ARGH its a tough decision. I think I wrote somewhere that if I was to get another breed then it would be an Aussie. When I go interstate I travel with Deb and her Aussie and we often compare the two boys.

Some things off the top of my head - probably no help whatsoever :rofl:

Tollers don't do well with repetitative obedience training - usually if we get something right we stop there.

They learn very very quickly both good and bad things :laugh:

The girls are much smaller than the boys - so you actually have room for 2 tollers verses 1 Aussie :laugh:

I would be researching health issues in some of the lines if you do choose a toller.

Tollers are slower to mature than the working dogs.

The toller boys have a high sex drive

You might be waiting a while for a toller puppy

Edited by Ptolomy

Thanks for the info Ptolomy. Your Tollers look gorgeous :rofl: and clearly its not possible to stop at one ;) :laugh:

It sure is a tough decision. Maybe one of each eventually :rofl::laugh:

Tollers don't do well with repetitative obedience training - usually if we get something right we stop there.

This is good since I don't do well with repetative training either :rofl:

Are there particular health issues that I should be looking into specifically for some lines?

Have you ever thought of a Belgian? The home you describe would be perfect for one and they would be great for what you want. Just to possibly confuse the issue for you even more :laugh:

Whilst Belgians are beautiful dogs (I know 2 in particular whom I love) I haven't really considered them. Unfortunately my heart is set on one of these two breeds.

Main health issues are heart, eyes and hips, but also because the gene pool is so small - this could also cause a few issues further down the line. Some lines are more over-the-top too.

http://www.freewebs.com/antollergee is my website if you want to have a read about each of the kids, health issues and there are also some clips of them doing obedience and agility

Have you ever thought of a Belgian? The home you describe would be perfect for one and they would be great for what you want. Just to possibly confuse the issue for you even more :laugh:

Whilst Belgians are beautiful dogs (I know 2 in particular whom I love) I haven't really considered them. Unfortunately my heart is set on one of these two breeds.

Good luck in your decision then kiesha :laugh:

Border Collies do come in colours other than black and white :laugh: .

You got me there :laugh::rofl:

Main health issues are heart, eyes and hips, but also because the gene pool is so small - this could also cause a few issues further down the line. Some lines are more over-the-top too.

http://www.freewebs.com/antollergee is my website if you want to have a read about each of the kids, health issues and there are also some clips of them doing obedience and agility

I thought that the small gene pool could have an effect on some health issues. Definately something to take into consideration. Thanks for the website link. Great site.

Can understand your dilemma both these breeds are just fantastic. Have had both staying with me in the kennels and working in the training classes.

Myself after years and years of German Shepherds I never really thought I would deviate, however as nowdays I want a dog that covers everything from relaxed family dog, gentle with kiddies of all ages, to confident social dog to agile focused dog and follow me when I go for a ride on the horse. I also wanted a dog that made others feel comfortable to be around.

My decision based on the relaxed working ability was the Aussie. Never been sorry, but Im sure if you decide on a Toller you will also be happy.

Aussies have some health issues also - hips, elbows and eyes. All breeders must have dogs hip and elbow scored before they can be bred from, and (I think) all pups must undergo eye checks at 7 weeks. There are also some genetic tests available for CEA, hereditary cataracts and also the MDR1 gene. Aussies which carry two copies of the MDR1 gene cannot be given certain drugs, the main one being Ivermectin which is present in many heartworms/all wormers. Aussies which carry one gene have also been known to react to these drugs. There are ways around it (know the drugs they can't have and don't give them those drugs obviously) and isn't as serious as other health problems, but one that all prospective owners should know about!

Ok, the fun stuff! :rofl:

I have only ever had one Aussie, my gorgeous Holly but I handle for a couple of breeders here in SA.

The main thing I don't like about Holly is she is noisy when she plays. She doesn't bark at cars/people walking past or out of boredom but Aussies do tend to bark when they play.

They main thing I love about her is her loyalty and her love. She adores me and "her people" (the family) and showers us in affection, without being silly about it. She loves cuddles (Aussies will be lap dogs if you let them) and this seems to be pretty consistant with all the Aussies I have met.

Strangers - she will give them a sniff or two then tends to ignore them. It takes a while to become one of Holly's "people" but once you are one it's well worth it. I just love the loyalty and her fantastic recall (we have always had terriers so loyalty and good recalls are always a bonus :laugh: ).

The pros about getting an Aussie over a Toller:

Ease of getting an Aussie

More colour choice

Choice on tails!

I love Tollers too, so good luck choosing! :laugh:

I'm sure some more knowledgable Aussie people will give you more to think about too.

Join us in the Aussie thread if you like. :rofl: Non-Aussie owners are always welcome (I was in there for a while before Holly became mine).

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4020798

Oh and Holly is just 19inches, so she's a little Aussie. Bitches do tend to be much more feminine and somewhat smaller than males.

Plus who could say no to this?

IMG_0906.jpg

Or this?

231008_014_Holly_6wks.jpg

Can understand your dilemma both these breeds are just fantastic. Have had both staying with me in the kennels and working in the training classes.

Myself after years and years of German Shepherds I never really thought I would deviate, however as nowdays I want a dog that covers everything from relaxed family dog, gentle with kiddies of all ages, to confident social dog to agile focused dog and follow me when I go for a ride on the horse. I also wanted a dog that made others feel comfortable to be around.

My decision based on the relaxed working ability was the Aussie. Never been sorry, but Im sure if you decide on a Toller you will also be happy.

You have described exactly what I am looking for! as well as having the ability to be good at agility.

I see you are in SA. Where abouts? There are some shows down at Pt Elliot next weekend. This weekend there are some in Pt Pirie. I'm not sure when the next ones are on at SACA but there is an open day at DOGSA during November, and I will be making sure there are some Aussies there. If you come down to a show most Aussie exhibitors here are more than happy to talk about the breed and let you meet their dogs. :laugh:

Aziah - Aussies definately aren't for everyone, but kiesha does sound more suitable than most. Tollers aren't for everyone either. There is occasionally a few Tollers out at shows here in SA too.