Mandatory Overnight Stay At Vet After Male Desexing?

Jennt

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! I now know that I have the option of using another vet just around the corner who doesn't keep overnight and is slightly cheaper.

The vet that keeps overnight is the one that we had to use for innoculations because that's where the first one

was done before we got Charlie. We have no other experience with them but there's more than one vet and we saw 2 different ones for innoculations.

The vet around the corner we used to see regularly before we had to have our cat PTS 2yrs ago. He was wonderful with her and very caring (she had feline immunity prob that needed expensive drugs to control and he discounted them heavily for us.).

I think well be going back to him :-)

again, thanks for all the information.

Edited by Jennt

What on earth is the point of leaving a dog overnight in a strange place where there are no people to look after it ?

Unless something goes amiss its a straightforward routine procedure where the dog is only knocked out for a very short time.

All my puppies & kittens get desexed before they leave me & all my adult cats & dogs are desexed when I no longer breed from them. Never been asked to leave them overnight.

Some of the older female cats suffer some discomfort & are much less stressed & happier coming home as soon as possible, where they are kept warm & quiet & the printed instructions re post op care from the vet are very clear.

I would not leave my animals overnight unattended for anything.

Stormie, the bit in your post that worries me is where you say "its just our choice"

don't your clients get a say in what I feel is an uneccessary over service for routine surgery ?

I think in 15 years of castrations/speys I've seen two re-sutures and a three seromas, and the odd pulled sutures that were fine. most clients are quite compliant and no vet should ever send home a 'groggy' patient or high risk one.

Most owners will phone if their pet is worrying the sutures (we give them ample infomation on dishcharge) and get them to pick up an elizabethan collar.

fifi

Edited by fifi

stormie...

The afternoon of the op, the wound can weep and the dogs can be groggy and whimpery from the anaesthetic.

Unless dogs were bright and clean and wide awake, we didn't send them home . On the page sent home with owners , it was explained that the dog may sleep a bit more, and that any discharge from wound, or unusual behaviour, excess swelling etc was cause for a (free) return visit.

Stormie, the bit in your post that worries me is where you say "its just our choice"

don't your clients get a say in what I feel is an uneccessary over service for routine surgery ?

I think in 15 years of castrations/speys I've seen two re-sutures and a three seromas, and the odd pulled sutures that were fine. most clients are quite compliant and no vet should ever send home a 'groggy' patient or high risk one.

Most owners will phone if their pet is worrying the sutures (we give them ample infomation on dishcharge) and get them to pick up an elizabethan collar.

fifi

Where we worked before, no, the clients didn't get a say. It was my boss's decision to keep them all in overnight. He used to send the boys home the same day, but changed this to keeping them all in overnight. His attitude was that he was the vet with the degree, so he knew what was best for them, from a medical point of view. In his experience, he felt that his clients tended to worry more when they went home the same day, even though there was nothing to worry about. And that's not to say they weren't sent home with adequate discharge instructions - some owners just worry.Like I said previously, most of our clients were not like DOL owners. Not that they didn't have a clue, but they didn't want to have to make the decision as to whether or not they came home - they trusted the vet and if that was how it was done, they were fine with it.

It was pretty standard practice in our area for vets to keep desexings overnight. I think the area we were in too, saw that most of our clients probably preferred to be a bit more over the top about their animals treatments.

I agree that no animal should be sent home groggy or if it is high risk. But you can't deny the difference in an animal the morning after a surgery. Our clients are welcome to call us and come and see us too, but if it's 9pm at night, they have very little option but to go phone/go to emergency and spend a fortune - to be told its just a bit of serum and nothing to worry about.

Where we are working now, in our own practice, we are generally sending them home on the same day, assuming they are fine.

One of our dogs we castrated yesterday - we told the owners he could go home the same day, but he was welcome to stay here (the vet lives here). The owners were so greatful and thankful that we would keep him in overnight, because they knew how lively and out of control he was and knew they wouldn't be able to keep him quiet on his first night.

And when it comes to medical procedures, generally no, our clients don't really get a say. We are not one of those clinics that offers things like pain relief or fluids to clients and let them decide. To us, either an animal needs them or it doesn't, it we don't feel the owners should have to make those decisions, as generally, most of them aren't knowledgeable enough to do so. We don't charge extra for those things for desexings. If something needs more pain relief than another, it gets it. If something needs more fluids, or something doesn't, then it is done. Where do you draw the line at letting owners choose their animals treatments? Isn't that why they come to see the vet in the first place? For their expertise?

I understand people's concerns about animals staying overnight where there are no staff to watch them. And I agree. However, there's less chance of something going wrong to an animal who is being crated and quietly sleeping all night, to one who has gone home to owners who don't always follow instructions to keep them quiet, and let them get excited.

Anyways, I'll be sure to pass on to my boss that he's clearly a bad vet who has no idea...

Edited by stormie

Anyways, I'll be sure to pass on to my boss that he's clearly a bad vet who has no idea...

Not what I'm saying, sound like a very caring vet - I'm just puzzled by uneccessay overnight stays, that's all. And not just your practice, but any of them that do this routinely.

Of course orthapedic patients ect. would stay overnight & more if needed.

I just honestly can't see any sense in routine overnighting.

fifi

I think there is some difference in breeds as well - I have sighthounds and a few months ago one of my bitches just donated blood and was still woozy at close so I left her overnight. Most anethestics have involved a longer stay. The one time it was supposed to be twilight sedation and I took a dog home same day he was distressingly wobbly overnight - but back to normal the next day. My friends have bull breeds and they don't even seem to notice they have been sedated?!

Yes the surgery is 'unattended' but in this case I know they are actually there at 12 midnight and staff start coming in for at 4:30pm. I know this to not just advertising as they once let me pick up that late after my plane was late and I have been banging on the door at 5:30pm with an emergency and it has all come good.

But from what Fifi has posted it sounds like Wolfies might be tougher? - mind you she knows what she is doing!

Edited by Meea

Naaaa, wolfies aren't tougher ! big wusses ! and of course being sighthounds - all the usual anaesthetic issues.

Mine have had lots of overnight stays over the years after surgery or for observation.

but they'd be coming home that night after a routine spey if all had gone well & normal recovery.

fifi

The only speys/castrates I keep in overnight are ones who have not recovered from anaesthesia well or if there were any complications during the surgery.

Orthopaedic cases stay over night are fluids and methadone injections.

However - its the vets individual choice. We are the ones putting our degree/licence on the line everytime we make a decision - so yes it is our choice. Each vet has a different opinion as to what is best for the animal :eek: