Canine Omegaderm

Fred my bassett hound suffers from skin problems as most wrinkly doggies do.

We have him groomed every 4 weeks, using either an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe the skin or maseleb if looking very sore. I always make sure he is dried thoroughly. He is fine for the following 10 / 14 days but then his skin seems to get irritated. By the 3rd week after his groom his skin starts getting very pink, and oily in between his toes and under his legs. The vet has given us a steroid spray to use when its does get bad.

I have previously owned bassetts with the same problem and tried bathing more often but this seemed to actually make it worse! One of my boys was previously put on tablets (sorry can't remember the name) but prolonged use could cause liver damage so I'm reluctant to go down that road.

Anyway, have seen Canine Omegaderm suggested as a supplement and I was wondering if anyone can give me any further info as to whether its recommeneded or actually assists in healthier skin.

Or, for any dog owners who have encountered skin problems - any suggestions?

Hi Kirsty

Sorry to hear that your Basset is having skin issues - have you had it diagnosed by a vet or dermatologist? Skin problems can be extremely varied and can be caused several different things such foods or envirnomental allergens like pollens or dust mites etc.

I had by Golden tested for allergies earlier this year and we are currently undergoing immunotherapy (desensitation injection) to try to control his allergies. However I am also supplementing with fish oil and evening primrose oil, as his coat and skin are very coarse and dry. However this is not assisting anywhere near as well as Mega Oil did when we was having that daily - so I will be switching him to that again. Yet this may not work for your dog, but the supplement you're talking about may. Omegaderm sadly would create further problems for my boy as he is allergic to wheat and we can not use Oatmeal shampoos either as he is allergic to oats. So Benson is bathed weekly in Alpha Keri Wash and has Alpha Keri Oil poured over him after without rinsing off and he is feed a completely raw diet of RMB, Muscle Meats, Offal, Vegies and Yoghurt.

So I guess what I am saying is, there is no simply fix. I mean cortisone, predinsone etc (which I presume your previous Basset took) can mask the problem and alliviate the symptoms but it comes with it's own health issues. Cortravence (steroid spray) is great though as it doesn't enter the blood strem and will not cause other health issues.

Best of luck finding what works for Fred!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I had a rescue Pug on Megaderm for some time. She was also undergoing antibiotic therapy, was on antihistamines and an elimination diet at the same time however. Her coat looked lovely and her skin healed very quickly. I would think that the megaderm played a role in all of this definitely.

Canine Omegaderm http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/itemde...amp;eq=&Tp=

Ingredients - Wholegrain Wheat, vitamins (Vitamin E, Calcium Pantothenate (Vit B5), Riboflavin (Vit B2), Niacin (Vit B3), Vitamin B1, Pyridoxine (Vit B6), Vitamin K, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vit B12), Biotin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D), Taurine, minerals (Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Iodine, Selenium), Poultry Meal, Poultry Oil, Chicken flavour, Omega fatty acids, Antioxidants.

Megaderm http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/prodSu...m?group_no=6583

Ingredients - Sunflower oil, gamma-linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, retinyl palmitate, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, zinc sulfate monohydrate, inositol.

Thanks, I didn't realise how completely different they were. Megaderm certainly seems the better product though for this situation from the little I just read.

Edited to add the fact sheet about Megaderm;

Megaderm Fact Sheet

Sorry PRS meant to write an explanation that they are different things :cry: didn't mean to be rude, just stupid work is interrupting me! :rofl: LOL!

I agree probably the better option in this instance. Yet Megaderm did not do a darn thing for my boy :(

The only suppliement that seems to actually assist him is Mega Oil http://www.eczema.com.au/skincare-products/mega-oil/

Ingredients - Flaxseed Oil, Soybean Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Borage Oil (15ml GLA) Safflower Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Pumpkinseed Oil.

I am will be giving him 30 mls of this and 30 mls of cod liver oil (until I run out of cod liver and swapping to Salmon Oil capsules).

Thanks for your replies FTPO & PRS.

:(

Gosh! Its a bit more complicated than I thought! :laugh:

So, you seem to think megaderm would perhaps be better?? Those ingredients sent my brain in a whirl - what exactly is the difference between the two?? (Imagine you are explaining to a child as I really haven't got the foggiest what any of the ingredients are or what they do!)

I believe the vet said it was a yeast infection on the skin - its all the folds. If left untreated it gets that notorious smell which just lingers wherever you go! I hadn't really thought of allegies. I guess I just presumed as its the same as what my previous bassett had. May be worth looking into - how does the testing work? His coat and the rest of him is in excellent condition. But under his legs, under his neck and occasionally the outside of his ears and in his paws can look very inflamed sometimes (once he scratched it so bad it bled) and gets like black oily bits in between the skin.

He sounds like he has a diet related allergy, apart from the paws.

Have you ever had him tested to see what he is allergic to or completed an elimination diet??

This is the little Pug that came to me with a combination of atopic and diet related allergy.

post-3413-1254969964_thumb.jpg

We used Megaderm for Henry when he was first rescued and it was helpful. However there is a product the greyhound folk use called Sprint Oil which is about 1/4 of the price of Megaderm and we found it just as effective

I've just started trialling a human MSM cream on my little fella who always get the itchies and have been having some good results so far

Sounds like a combo of allergies - did the vet offer you antibiotics to get rid of the yeast infection and Panalog for his ears??? Personally - if you can afford it I would ask to get a referral to a dermatologist but perhaps before doing that maybe do an 8 wks for elimination trial.

Here a great site pretty much giving you step by step instructions for a food elimination trial. See if you have completed one before you see a dermatologist you will save yourself a couple of consult fees. Also you need unique protein to trial so have you ever feed Fred Kangaroo or Sweet Potato???

http://www.labbies.com/foodreactions.htm

Here is another good site http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Our vet recommended Megaderm for our pup at about 12 weeks old as he had dandruffy looking skin... whilst it cleared his skin up and stopped him from itching it also played havoc with his stomach... lets just say cream carpet and puppy diarreah don't mix well!!!!

And what she looked like when we re-homed her...although you can't see much of her body but you see the change in expression in her face. No more itchies!!

WOW!! Fantastic job PRS!! What a difference. She looks stunning! :thumbsup:

What are you feeding??

What do you wash the folds with & how often??

I’m a little worried about saying what I feed him on – I don’t want to be shot down in flames but………

He is fed on exactly what he was on when we got him from his rescue foster carers – a mixture of dry and wet pedigree dog food.

I am in no means an expert on dogs and I am aware there are so many better things to feed him. Two reasons why I have stuck with this – Firstly is budget but secondly and more importantly he enjoys it – he loves his food. Mmmm. Maybe that’s just all dogs!! :thumbsup: . He is in excellent health (bar the skin episodes), an ideal weight, good bowel movements and has a lovely shiny coat. Having had a Bassett before who had a very sensitive stomach I decided to stick with what worked.

Obviously, in hindsight, if there is a possibility this is causing his skin problem I want rectify immediately. I can’t stand seeing my little boy uncomfortable. Do you think the food is probably behind it?

As I’m here, and after some sound advice, can you tell me why pedigree is frowned upon? I haven’t read the label – I unfortunately wouldn’t have a clue what to look for but I assume it is the equivalent of a humans ready made microwave meal. Preservatives? Additives? Etc. Can you suggest what I could feed him on a budget?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

As I’m here, and after some sound advice, can you tell me why pedigree is frowned upon? I haven’t read the label – I unfortunately wouldn’t have a clue what to look for but I assume it is the equivalent of a humans ready made microwave meal. Preservatives? Additives? Etc. Can you suggest what I could feed him on a budget?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Mainly water, cereal and loads of preservatives and additives.

Contrary to popular belief, commercial food do not cause allergies. Most will say that kibble is the blame more than anything else and that it is because of the high grain content and tis is wrong.

The majority of canine allergies are protein related and the biggest culprits are beef and chicken. Therefore, if the commercial food contains the protein the dog is affected by, it will be bad for them.

In having said that, I don't like commercial foods. I steer clear of additives in preservatives in the food myself and my family eat and I do the same for my animals.

Perhaps have a chat with your vet Kirsty and they might get something like Eukenuba/Iam Response FP (Fish and Potato) in for you. For a large bag it will cost just over a $100 dollars however you don't need to feed as much as you do pal and will probably get two to three mths worth of food out of a 13.6 kg bag and its an elimination diet! :thumbsup:

http://www.vetandpetproducts.com/catalogue...c3/c37/c56/p385

And what she looked like when we re-homed her...although you can't see much of her body but you see the change in expression in her face. No more itchies!!

I remember this pooch, what was it that you felt helped this Pug recover?

We used Megaderm for Henry when he was first rescued and it was helpful. However there is a product the greyhound folk use called Sprint Oil which is about 1/4 of the price of Megaderm and we found it just as effective

I've just started trialling a human MSM cream on my little fella who always get the itchies and have been having some good results so far

MSM Cream? Tell me more?