Thinking About This Whole Pit Bull Thing

amy_h

Catagorically what are APBT supposed to be? (not being a smart arse, just want your opinion)

My opinion (and the fact :rolleyes: ) is that the APBT was initially bred as a dog fighter. He was and is docile to humans as a whole as it is an important characteristic of the breed which was bred for expressly. This is in stark contrast to a "guardian breed" of which you accuse the APBT of bieng.

Iv said it many times and ill say it again, there are many examples of APBT's which are capable of guarding, however they are in the minority.

Now im not saying there is anything wrong with guardian breeds far from it, however thats not the point, the point is the APBT is not one of them.

edit -

Wanted to clarify 2 points on the dogs history.

The ancestors of the Pitbull where used for bear and bull baiting, however its when this activity declined that the sport of the day became dog on dog fighting. Its thought this is when the first Pitbulls came about (although theres speculation on that point).

Later the dogs where taken to the USA, the Americans bred the dogs more to thier liking aesthetically and renamed them. The dogs where still used for dog fighting, and in addition they where used for hunting and other work. They where the most popular family pet in the USA up until WW2 I believe.

Edited by Lo Pan

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are more suitable breeds to fufill particular roles. And certain breeds are more popular for certain roles for a reason.

Pit Bulls, AmStaffs and Staffies have been fulfilling the role of "family dog" for as long as there have been Pit Bulls and Staffies and are well suited.

ANd dont forget apbts have been bred as fighting dogs long before the apbt name even existed right to this day.

No need to single out the APBT. The exact same is very true for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. So what? All are generally great family dogs.

The Apbt has been bred and is still bred as a fighting dog. The AnKc staffy and Amstaff are far off from the original fighitng dogs. If you were to tell an Apbt dogman that his dogs are the same as staffys, he'd be deeply offended.

Restricted breed legislation doesn't specifically target the APBT as I understand it, but targets a group of breeds with a fighting origin and the APBT falls into that group. There is a government definition I have read that says basically, breeds displaying the courage and gameness for the ability to fight are not considered suitable pets in the community which is the basis behind their legislation. There is no denying that the APBT regardless how friendly and stable some bloodlines may be, do have a fighting origin in the breed and is the reason the breed is categorised as such.

It seems to look like an APBT target, but only due to the ABPT being the most common of the restricted breeds, which I believe only very small minorities of the other breeds exist in Australia if at all???. The APBT isn't considered a guardian breed as some have mentioned, but a fighting breed which becomes the issue in terms of legislation.

Guardian breeds fight if they have to which is the difference as they primarily issue a warning component to scare off potential prey and are not classified as an all out fighting dog as the group containing the APBT. Having read so many different angles on BSL and the APBT, it doesn't appear that many acknowledge the "fighting dog origin" being the basis of the legislation. :rolleyes:

The AnKc staffy and Amstaff are far off from the original fighitng dogs.

As are 99.9% of APBT's in Australia.

I'm not denying "some" have the urge to fight (with strange dogs) in varying quantities.

An honest breeder would admit the same urge is there in the other two "breeds" in varying quantities aswell.

Most common are the qualities that make the whole group such great family pets.

Edited by rottiadora

Your welcome amy.

I think some people beleive that organised dog fighting is a common underground activity in Australia, its just not the case. I think the RSPCA said something about it once is that why people think its so prolific ? Well then ring them and ask how many dog fighting cases they have prosecuted.

Dont believe the hype. The APBT is not widely fight bred in Australia far from it.

Your welcome amy.

I think some people beleive that organised dog fighting is a common underground activity in Australia, its just not the case. I think the RSPCA said something about it once is that why people think its so prolific ? Well then ring them and ask how many dog fighting cases they have prosecuted.

Dont believe the hype. The APBT is not widely fight bred in Australia far from it.

Exactly.

09082009653.jpg

:shrug: well he's Amstaff not APBT but really I feel that those who are attacking the APBT are attacking Boodzey, he’s a BYBer so whats to stop someone from claiming him to be a APBT. Honestly though he's the smartest, sweetest, sookiest, gentle mumma’s boy I have ever met as is the same for any other Amstaff, Stafford or APBT I have even come across.

The neighbours were having their lawns mowed the other day and the guy mentioned to them that Boodzey was scared of him :laugh: they have also come into our backyard while we were at work (they are the landlords) and he just went about his business.

I would much sooner trust Boodzey with little animals and children than I would Trixie. I just find it funny (and so sad) that people cross the road to avoid Boodz when its really Trixie thats more likely to be dog aggressive or nip at their heels.

Edited by Law

Well I haven't been on this forum for ages but thought I would put my 2 cents in. I have 2 APBT's,my male is nearly 2 years and my female is 18 months. Before these dogs I owned GSD's and before that a couple of cross breeds. This is just my opinion but these are my observation's/experience's.

-My favorite breed I have owned/met

-Most affectionate dog's I have owned/met

-As smart or smarter than any dog I have owned/met

-Worst guard dog's I have owned

-Most Energetic dog I have owned

-Most personality I have owned/met

-Most dog aggressive dog's I have owned.(would never take to dog park,and if you think socialization is going to correct this i would think again)

-Would never leave the two together unsupervised

-Fantastic around kids/strangers (like any breed should always be supervised)

-Never left unsupervised to roam yard (if they want to get out,they will get out)

-Like I said, my opinion but not suitable for everyone!!! If you think you can get a nice puppy and leave it in your backyard all day and pay it hardly any attention with your 6 foot colour bond fencing i would think again.

I have just fostered an Am Staffy for a few days and we are totally in love. He was just the easiest dog, and such a lovable sook. He is looking for a forever home now (Best Friends Rescue in Brisbane)

We have just had four days of a fun loving larrikin, who loved swimming at the beach, hanging out at the local cafe and he happily slept in his crate at night.

post-30697-1258366646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mym

I understand this suggestion to be a bit left of centre...........but I am thinking if people are serious to preserve the APBT breed, it wouldn't be difficult to breed them as Amstaffs and 99% of the problems from a legislation perspective is solved???. Papered ANKC recognised breed :hug: It would be a simple exercise for an Amstaff breeder to also produce quality APBT's........who could really argue the difference???.

Jarrah's a "Pit Bull type" as targetted by BSL.

If you stop to consider the brutal reality of the situation - that a dog like this might well try to drown a small child in slobber or beat someone to death with her tail - its really quite terrifying.

PA160113.jpg

I understand this suggestion to be a bit left of centre...........but I am thinking if people are serious to preserve the APBT breed, it wouldn't be difficult to breed them as Amstaffs and 99% of the problems from a legislation perspective is solved???. Papered ANKC recognised breed :D It would be a simple exercise for an Amstaff breeder to also produce quality APBT's........who could really argue the difference???.

Are you suggesting that ANKC recognised breeders simply slot the unpapered Pits into their breeding program ? or even worse falsify breeding records to produce papers for Pits ?

Harldy a good idea to undermine the integrity of the ANKC register.

Jarrah's a "Pit Bull type" as targetted by BSL.

If you stop to consider the brutal reality of the situation - that a dog like this might well try to drown a small child in slobber or beat someone to death with her tail - its really quite terrifying.

PA160113.jpg

:mad those tails are bloody weapons!! Also Boodzey head butted me last night ;) his head must be made of steel because it DID NOT tickle.

http://www.zazzle.com.au/peace_love_pit_bu...391082385969867

:mad

I understand this suggestion to be a bit left of centre...........but I am thinking if people are serious to preserve the APBT breed, it wouldn't be difficult to breed them as Amstaffs and 99% of the problems from a legislation perspective is solved???. Papered ANKC recognised breed :( It would be a simple exercise for an Amstaff breeder to also produce quality APBT's........who could really argue the difference???.

Are you suggesting that ANKC recognised breeders simply slot the unpapered Pits into their breeding program ? or even worse falsify breeding records to produce papers for Pits ?

Harldy a good idea to undermine the integrity of the ANKC register.

I wondered if there are any APBT's with Amstaff papers???