Beginner For Advanced Obedience Or Agility

Jetty

I am thinking in the new year of either doing a more advanced level or obedience or even start off with agility for Jet. I just have a few questions. Jet is nearlly 9 months. He has done puppy preschool and he is now onto his first course of obedience. He is doing very well and I am very impressed by his improvement. I am enjoying taking him too every week.

Is there an issue since Jet is a cross bread not a purebreed?

Since he is a small dog is that an issue for agility?

My current obedience class I don't think offers much more than the current level of obedience, so does anyone have any reccommendations of somewhere I could take him? I am on the southside of Brisbane, Logan area.

Sorry I don't know much information about it at all. Thanks.

No, on both counts, I'm pretty sure QLD has an associate register. Jet would have to be desexed and you'd need to register him as an associate dog with your state kennel club, you'd need to be a member too. When there's jumping involved in either obedience or jumping the dogs get measured and the jumps are adjusted for their height (at the top of the shoulder). So nothing to worry about there.

There's more info here:

http://www.ankc.org.au/home/inner.asp?pageid=70&mainid=2

Try VIP at Yatala for agility training or Southside (at runcorn) or Logan Dog Obedience clubs for more advanced obedience stuff, actually I think Logan does agility as well but I preffer Yatala's type of training for agility.

If you want to compete in ANKC events you will need to become a member of the CCC(Q) and register your dog on the associate register... this don't need to be done until you are closer to being ready to compete.

There are also a couple of AADA agility clubs around SE QLD if you want to AADA comps which are different to ANKC stuff but similar enough that you can train at a club associated with either organisation and still compete in both styles of comps easily. There is a thread pinned to the top of the dogsports forum about agility clubs in all states and the QLD ones listed are all AADA clubs.

No issues at all with Jet being a small dog or a mixed breed, they have different heights for agility so regardless of the style of competition you do with him he will jump the appropriate height for his size. Mixed breeds all compete equally with Purebreds these days!

Some clubs will do beginners agility, I am pretty sure Yatala does puppy gym which is beginners agility... I think one of the pups from my last litter does this there and he would be about 8 months old now!

ADCQ (Agility Dog Club of Queensland) at Tivoli (Ipswich) is an ADAA club that does foundation activity for younger dogs.

BAD (Brisbane Agility Dog Club) requires your dog to be 12 months before you start.

Both clubs are ADAA affiliates, but have members who trial in both ANKC and ADAA agility. (My girl is on the associate register and will be doing more ANKC next year, but ADAA is our focus).

PM me if you want more info on ADCQ.

Either try a club that offers foundation agility/flat work courses which can be undertaken before 12 months, and are really valuable - or try to find some description of flat work agility foundation work on the net. It's basically about focus, and getting your dog used to running with you and responding to your body language. Invaluable to do before you even think about the obstacles, IMHO.

More advanced obedience won't hurt, either.

Nup!! Forget BAD :rofl: come to Jimboomba Obed club!! We're a small club with agility and Obed, everyone is really helpful and Rowan the instructor is the best!! He has such a great manner and being small as well its great for focusing on each person and where they and their dogs are.. like some nights we have only 5 -6 people in the triallers class which also means more runs!!

they have foundation and triallers class.. and You don't need to join the obedience program to do the agility either!

If I remember right we can have younger dogs too they just make all the equipment smaller and safer for a young dog.. A few Dolers come and train there!

I haven't been for a few months cos my new boy had Kennel cough so mid November we'll be back there doing foundation with my new boy and Triallers with Jock!

Currently we're training on a Wednesday night but we'll have to wait and see if it changes again which hopefully it wont!

PM if you want more info and I'll try and give you as much as I can cos i'm still newish to the area... My friends mum used to instruct at Logan All Breeds Obed.. She left it so that shows some people's opinion.. I haven't heard the greatest reviews on the club but thats just me!! I have never been so i'm not one to judge!

with Jet being a small mix, my dog Jock is an almost 10 year old Sheltie mix and he has been training since I got him at 6 and we have no problems infact all of our passes this year have been placings so the little dogs do have a chance to do well!! Good Luck !!

Its located at Tully Park, Beryl Pde at Sth MeClan (sp) Classes are $5 a week.

with Registering CCCQ has a silly rule IMO that you can only have on associate (mixed breed) in your name just be warned.. I had the world of Trouble getting Denver registered.. ended up using my NSW membership and address to get him done in NSW..its done now..

Edited by smisch