The Challenge I Face

Kirislin

I've often mentioned how my dogs eat almost anything, and it's pretty much impossible for me to grow fruit or vegies in my garden. Here's an example, this is the poor nectarine tree, the fruit is tiny and hard and, I would imagine very sour, or bitter, I dont fancy trying it myself but the boys love them. For the last 3 years running I've only managed to get about 3 nectarines for myself, and even they usually have whippet teeth marks in them.

Pucky sizes up a victim

IMG_0856t.jpg

makes his selection

IMG_0854t.jpg

and attacks like the ruthless predator he is!

IMG_0858-2.jpg

I think this is him saying to himself YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

IMG_0861.jpg

and so now, for its own protection and in the vain hope I might even get one or two this year. although I do this every year anyway, the dogs just rip the fruit through the netting, I have to try though. sigh

IMG_0871.jpg

What a clever Whippet you have there! I have to agree with him they do look delicious :D

the damn things are no where near ripe though. They are white nectarines and the couple I've tasted where lovely but as the whippets eat them long before they're ripe very few make it to edible stage.

prune off the shoots from around the bottom and some of the old or lower branches

have at least a foot radius of no grass around the bottom of the tree and make sure it doesnt dry out

there will be whippet free fruit next year ;)

Haha! Our dogs used to climb the plum tree at our old house and eat the plums. They at least waited until they were ripe though! You should have seen the poops, some had 5-6 full-size stones in them... Ouch!!