Dry Food For Sensitive Stomachs

Hi all,

I posted some time ago when changing my two poodles to a premium dry food. I switched them to eagle pack holistic duck and chicken vairieties. I recently switched them to the small and medium breed holistic formula which doesnt seem to be enjoyed or tolerated well.

I am thinking of going back to the duck but I'm open to other suggestions. My guys seem to get gurgly and upset tummies or diarrhoea fairly easily and I just wonder if there is a food I should try to keep them a bit more stable?

FYI: They get sardines, RMB, plain youghurt, egg, pasta and chicken/beef mince aswell.

Any reccomendations would be great.

My dog reacts to anything with red meat in it (causing loose stools etc), so we are on Eukanuba Light and everything has been great since. I also add sardines once or twice a week, or natural yoghurt. The only reason we are on the 'light' is because she cannot have anything with much fat in it as is causes loose stools too. I can only give her venison ears as chew treats as they are very low in fat.

Edited by vjb

RMB?

Raw meaty bones.

Have you considered it's not the dry food but what else you're giving them?

This is entirely possible but it is the dry food that is the constant. The others are only occasional.

It is difficult because whatever I read on here or even my vet say that an entirely dry diet is not good, so I'm a bit stuck with what to do?

My dog reacts to anything with red meat in it (causing loose stools etc), so we are on Eukanuba Light and everything has been great since. I also add sardines once or twice a week, or natural yoghurt. The only reason we are on the 'light' is because she cannot have anything with much fat in it as is causes loose stools too. I can only give her venison ears as chew treats as they are very low in fat.

I am suspecting the raw meaty bones. There does seem to be issues after bones, even though I only let them eat the meat.

Does your dog like the eukanuba light?

You could ditch the pasta (is only filler food) and up the rmb (assuming that's Raw Meaty Bones).

Also, split meals into 2/ day if you don't already. 2 small meals easier to digest.

My standard poodle has a more sensitive gut.

Our mini poodle is the opposite and can eat anything (including dead animals) with no obvious ill-effects.

The standard ate 2 semi-raw sausages (fell off bbq) and had vomiting + diarrhoea. Change of diet in kennels also produced near-diarrhoea.

I find adding more raw food e.g. chicken frames, turkey necks, meaty bones makes a big difference- stools much firmer.

Which dry food is then less important.

He's on Bonnie Complete which is in my price range and seems good with it.

Vet told me to give more bones to the mini poodle to clean his teeth.

Said he'd occasionally vomit up a bit of bone. Vet said is normal, not a problem.

Brisket bones are great for dogs- as long as it's raw, they can eat the lot.

Have you tried giving a human grade probiotic to make certain there is enough beneficial bacteria in there to break down the food,whatever you are feeding?

Also are you certain there are no worms present?

Just a few things to think about.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

I bought some probiotic powder from the vets so I hope that adding that to their food will help. It's called Paw probiotic powder. It says for animal treatment only so will it still do the same thing as human grade probiotics Tomas?

As for worming they are both on sentinel spectrum and up to date.

Mish13 and CBL thanks for those reccs I will check them out :eek:

Poodle Wrangler

I'm fine to ditch the pasta as it's only occasional. But I'm a bit worried about upping the rmb. I don't know whether it's just coincidence but it seems that gut issues often occur within a few days of eating them. They get brisket bones, lamb shanks, beef bones and turkey necks.

The vet nurse said that some dogs just don't tolerate raw well, particularly the high fat content. I'm not sure.

Ive been told to have them on the chicken and rice for 4 days and probiotic stint for 14. I'll be interested to see if that at least settles things down. OH think's I am a bit vet-happy so I am trying to get it sorted at home :rolleyes:

I am suspecting the raw meaty bones. There does seem to be issues after bones, even though I only let them eat the meat.

Yes, she eats all of it. For breaky she gets it plain, and dinner she gets it mixed with the sardines, yoghurt or something to add some variety so she doesn't get bored. What colour is the diarrhoea?

Yes, she eats all of it. For breaky she gets it plain, and dinner she gets it mixed with the sardines, yoghurt or something to add some variety so she doesn't get bored. What colour is the diarrhoea?

Thanks vjb,

It varies but over the past couple days it has been a bit green.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

I bought some probiotic powder from the vets so I hope that adding that to their food will help. It's called Paw probiotic powder. It says for animal treatment only so will it still do the same thing as human grade probiotics Tomas?

As for worming they are both on sentinel spectrum and up to date.

I just like the human grade probiotics for my guys,seems to be a stricter control in the making,does yours need refrigeration? I use Natures Way - Optima for my boys.

Have you also tried just dry or just raw....dogs need a very acidic gut to digest raw and dry alkalinises the gut,so you are sending their tummies left and right...no wonder they are getting upset tums.

:rolleyes:

Thanks vjb,

It varies but over the past couple days it has been a bit green.

Green like she has been eating grass? Or green like mucous tinged...?

Tomas.

No it doesnt need refrigeration.

I read online that if it needs refrigeration this should be a red flag as it means the cultures are unstable and can lose their benefit when they meet with the body that is much warmer than a refrigerator.

As for feeding one or the other dry or raw, this is where I keep getting confused as everyone says something different. But I may just have to at least to eliminate the source of the problems. I'd go back to dry only if anything.

green as in khaki green colour all over. Not runny but soft-formed. At first I thought he was constipated as he was straining but now it looks to be diarrhoea that his irritated his tail end, making him think he needs to evacuate when he doesnt. (Apologies for squeamish tummies!)

Tomas.

No it doesnt need refrigeration.

I read online that if it needs refrigeration this should be a red flag as it means the cultures are unstable and can lose their benefit when they meet with the body that is much warmer than a refrigerator.

As for feeding one or the other dry or raw, this is where I keep getting confused as everyone says something different. But I may just have to at least to eliminate the source of the problems. I'd go back to dry only if anything.

green as in khaki green colour all over. Not runny but soft-formed. At first I thought he was constipated as he was straining but now it looks to be diarrhoea that his irritated his tail end, making him think he needs to evacuate when he doesnt. (Apologies for squeamish tummies!)

You can google info about probiotics,but they have them refrigerated so there are as many live bacteria in there as they say there is when they are manufactured. I always use a refigerated product for me and my dogs.

I would try dry OR raw....that way you will have an idea what works,some dogs will do fine with a mix some won't,so do a little experiment of your own and cut one out and see if that clears things up.

I feed totally raw,but HAVE on occasion fed dry if say I did'nt get something and shops are shut,though in all honesty I have gone to a dairy and bought 20 cans of sardines and given them that and eggs as well. :rolleyes:

Sounds like his tum is just irritated but not too badly,or I would have expected mucous also...

So switch to dry or raw the next few days and see what comes of that :eek: Oh and I don't have a squeamish tummy and I look at every poop my dogs do,just like to know what is coming out.

The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem is to do a food trial.

True but doing this is easier to start with.

I think this will be the start of my food trial anyway. At the moment I just want to get their tums settled.

I noticed a small amount of mucous in the poos this afternoon, but the last one was about 5 hours ago so things seem to be settling and the chicken and rice seems to have been tolerated well. He was actually running around and playing this afternoon and his tummy wasnt as guarded so I'm hoping he's past the worst of it.

What probiotics do you use? what is the difference between dog and human ones?

It's good to know you're not squeamish, I'm not, but I'm a nurse and my dinner table stories arent always popular :laugh:

I just remembered that I caught Osca eating the wrapper from a hungry jacks hamburger at 3am 2 nights ago. I don't know how much he ate but could this be a potential cause?

He is only passing small amounts of stool each time he goes. Is it likely to break down in his gut or should I be concerned about maybe a partial obsruction?

Grrr, cant believe I didnt remember this earlier :laugh: