Annoying New Habit

kathryn2104

hello, i have two male pug puppies that are 5 months old. we live in a one bedroom apartment, and they live inside with us, including sleeping. they go outside only when we are home, due to me worrying about them being dog-napped, and they bark a bit, so i wouldnt like them to annoy our neighbours.

anyway, since we got them, their night time behaviour has been great. no crying or noise at all (they dont sleep in our room) and they have been happy to get up when we get up for work. all until last week! for some reason, they are now waking up at 3am or 4am and crying and scratching at our bedroom door. It's not to go to the toilet either, as they have their loo set up in our bathroom. it seems to be that they just are up and ready to play. very annoying!! so we have ignored them, and it has still gone on for 40 minutes or so, and other days we have gotten up, fed them, taken them outside for a bit, then come back and gone to bed, only for it to start all over again. i have also sternly told them No! etc, and that does nothing too.

i am sleep deprived and getting over it very quickly.

any advice?

Awww naughtly little puggies. They probably are wondering why they are not allowed to sleep in your bed.

They must be related to an ex foster puggy of mine that apparently was waking her mum up at about 4am every morning for breakfast. A holiday back with Aunty Puggy Puggy soon snapped her out of this habit.

I wouldn't get into the habit of feeding them when they wake up in the middle of the night as they will expect it every night. If anything get up take them outside to the toilet and then put them back to bed. A crate or a puppy pen might come in useful so they can't cope and scratch on your door.

My guess is that your pugs aren't "naughty" but bored and understimulated.

How much exercise/play and training do they pugs get on a daily basis?

It's light earlier now. They are no doubt responding to it.

A long play time and/or a short walk before bed time would do wonders for all of you. Tired pugs sleep in. :eek:

Your babies are growing up. They're going to need more mental and physical stimulation now. If they get it, I think your sleep deprivation will disappear. They certainly wont' get it locked in the apartment all day - so you'll have to do more with them now. As they grow older, you can walk them for longer but 10 minutes and a good play would be enough now. They need to work off that energy.

Do you do any training with them? Tired minds also sleep longer.

Edited by poodlefan

My guess is that your pugs aren't "naughty" but bored and understimulated.

How much exercise/play and training do they pugs get on a daily basis?

It's light earlier now. They are no doubt responding to it.

A long play time and/or a short walk before bed time would do wonders for all of you. Tired pugs sleep in. :eek:

Your babies are growing up. They're going to need more mental and physical stimulation now. If they get it, I think your sleep deprivation will disappear. They certainly wont' get it locked in the apartment all day - so you'll have to do more with them now. As they grow older, you can walk them for longer but 10 minutes and a good play would be enough now. They need to work off that energy.

Do you do any training with them? Tired minds also sleep longer.

every morning they get taken for a 'walk' for 30 minutes, even though its more sniffing everything and investigating and rough and tumbling with each other than actual walking :( but it is exercise and it gets them out of the house. i also take them in the evenings too sometimes, but i am now thinking that i will be doing that every night, and just before bedtime. it makes sense, they're getting older and more active. i will also try the training too to tire them out. they can Sit, but thats about it. thanks for your reply, very helpful :eek:

Awww naughtly little puggies. They probably are wondering why they are not allowed to sleep in your bed.

They must be related to an ex foster puggy of mine that apparently was waking her mum up at about 4am every morning for breakfast. A holiday back with Aunty Puggy Puggy soon snapped her out of this habit.

I wouldn't get into the habit of feeding them when they wake up in the middle of the night as they will expect it every night. If anything get up take them outside to the toilet and then put them back to bed. A crate or a puppy pen might come in useful so they can't cope and scratch on your door.

thanks puggy puggy :eek: yep i bet they would love to be sleeping in our bed!! but alas, thats not happening, as they are little chubbers that would hog the bed, and shed everywhere too. ah the joys of motherhood!

every morning they get taken for a 'walk' for 30 minutes, even though its more sniffing everything and investigating and rough and tumbling with each other than actual walking :eek: but it is exercise and it gets them out of the house. i also take them in the evenings too sometimes, but i am now thinking that i will be doing that every night, and just before bedtime. it makes sense, they're getting older and more active. i will also try the training too to tire them out. they can Sit, but thats about it. thanks for your reply, very helpful :(

My pleasure - they look like lovely pups. :eek: If they don't have any interactive toys like kongs, these might also help to keep them busy.

every morning they get taken for a 'walk' for 30 minutes, even though its more sniffing everything and investigating and rough and tumbling with each other than actual walking :eek: but it is exercise and it gets them out of the house. i also take them in the evenings too sometimes, but i am now thinking that i will be doing that every night, and just before bedtime. it makes sense, they're getting older and more active. i will also try the training too to tire them out. they can Sit, but thats about it. thanks for your reply, very helpful :(

My pleasure - they look like lovely pups. :eek: If they don't have any interactive toys like kongs, these might also help to keep them busy.

oh they have a million toys, including kongs, but my shoes seem to be way more interesting and stimulating! funny that :rofl: thanks again.

Hi,I had the same problem with my little fella,he would be up at 4am every morning,we ignored him,now he wakes up when we do.

Try a couple of frozen Kongs stuffed with their brekky,it will keep them occupied and give you some more sleep,but leave this as a last resort,try ignorning more first,otherwise they will expect treats and food everytime they cry or misbehave.

And i agree with Puggy Puggy,a pen or crate is a good idea,I have Wuggy in his pen with his kenel in the dining room,he seems to enjoy going to bed now,and does not have any whoopsies during the night.

Hi,I had the same problem with my little fella,he would be up at 4am every morning,we ignored him,now he wakes up when we do.

Try a couple of frozen Kongs stuffed with their brekky,it will keep them occupied and give you some more sleep,but leave this as a last resort,try ignorning more first,otherwise they will expect treats and food everytime they cry or misbehave.

And i agree with Puggy Puggy,a pen or crate is a good idea,I have Wuggy in his pen with his kenel in the dining room,he seems to enjoy going to bed now,and does not have any whoopsies during the night.

hmm i think thats a good idea from puggy puggy and smitty regarding crating / pen during the night. currently they have access to the whole apartment at night and day time, and this may be confusing them in regards to bedtime. we need some more boundaries i think! thanks very much :eek:

In addition to the other great suggestions- think about training that you can do with them for short bursts rather than just physical exercise. The training could be obedience or tricks- anything to get their minds going. I have trained many pugs and many dogs in apartments and increasing themental and sensory stimulation is a must. :eek:

Once you have done those things, i would then ignore the mid-night crying.

Perhaps find an obedience club or do an older puppy class? At 5 months of age I would have expected them to know more commands like drop, stay, recall, heel etc. If you go to class and learn these then you can practice at home and this can help provide stimulation for them. Also makes them good canine citizens for when you take them outside.

Hi guys,

here's an update on the sleeping situation with Lloyd & Seven.

Since putting up my post and receiving all of your helpful advice, my OH and I have taken the boys for a walk/play every night close to bedtime to tire them out, plus we've been doing some basic obedience as well. And i have to say it's going really well! we had a whimper last night at 4am, ignored it, and that was it! Same thing the night before.

So thanks again for all of your suggestions, they've been so helpful and we'll keep up the good work keeping our puppies stimulated, happy AND obedient :laugh:

15102009243.jpg