Brain Tumour In Dog

Hi,

My sister's dog has been diagnosed with brain tumour. It is not malignant. However, since it is right next to the pituitary gland, and he is a 10 year old lab who has been through 3 back leg surgeries recently, taking the tumour out is not an option. So far, the suggestions have been radiation therapy and other natural therapies. Do any of you have any experience with such cases? What do you recommend?

I saw on tv a new cancer injection they're trialling in dogs at the moment who have lumps. On tv they were asking for people to call them if they wanted to have their dog in the trial. It has cleared up all the dogs tumors in under a week that have had it. I dont remember who the company was though. I'm sure its on the internet somewhere.

I saw on tv a new cancer injection they're trialling in dogs at the moment who have lumps. On tv they were asking for people to call them if they wanted to have their dog in the trial. It has cleared up all the dogs tumors in under a week that have had it. I dont remember who the company was though. I'm sure its on the internet somewhere.

Thanks. I'll try to google it. Do you remember if it worked on non-cancerous tumours as well?

Hi,

My sister's dog has been diagnosed with brain tumour. It is not malignant. However, since it is right next to the pituitary gland, and he is a 10 year old lab who has been through 3 back leg surgeries recently, taking the tumour out is not an option. So far, the suggestions have been radiation therapy and other natural therapies. Do any of you have any experience with such cases? What do you recommend?

Personally I'd give radiation and natural a try... my girl also has a tumour ON her pituitary gland - however seems it's not big enough to be causing any problems so it hasn't been treated (only the symptoms that it is causing ie Cushings disease). Is the tumour hindering the dog? If not, I probably wouldn't do anything other than natural (again this is personally) - as these kind of tumours are slow growing etc (again your vet is your best bet for advice there). If it is impacting on the dog though, I'd probably go with radiation. I believe the cancer treatment mentioned is only for lumps etc that can be reached via needle etc - not sure if it would be suitable for non cancerous brain tumours - but you never know so is something to also consider.

Poor bugger, what a trooper he is :rolleyes: Hoping he gets well soon.

Hi,

As the tumor is resting on the pituitary gland I would assume that the dog has developed Cushing's disease - lots of water drinking, ravenous appetite, lots of peeing (sometimes in the house). This condition is usually treated with Trilostane or Lysodren. DeiselWeasel has recently had her dog treated with radiation in QLD. I don't think that the new cancer crug they are talking about would work on a Pit tumor.

Hi,

Personally I'd give radiation and natural a try... my girl also has a tumour ON her pituitary gland - however seems it's not big enough to be causing any problems so it hasn't been treated (only the symptoms that it is causing ie Cushings disease). Is the tumour hindering the dog? If not, I probably wouldn't do anything other than natural (again this is personally) - as these kind of tumours are slow growing etc (again your vet is your best bet for advice there). If it is impacting on the dog though, I'd probably go with radiation. I believe the cancer treatment mentioned is only for lumps etc that can be reached via needle etc - not sure if it would be suitable for non cancerous brain tumours - but you never know so is something to also consider.

Poor bugger, what a trooper he is :rolleyes: Hoping he gets well soon.

Thanks Kelly_Louise. He had a seizure last week which is when my sister rushed him to the vet. He hasn't shown symptoms of Cushings disease yet. But all these surgeries have had their toll on him. What are the side effects of radiation on dogs?

Hi,

As the tumor is resting on the pituitary gland I would assume that the dog has developed Cushing's disease - lots of water drinking, ravenous appetite, lots of peeing (sometimes in the house). This condition is usually treated with Trilostane or Lysodren. DeiselWeasel has recently had her dog treated with radiation in QLD. I don't think that the new cancer crug they are talking about would work on a Pit tumor.

He hasn't shown any of these symptoms yet. However, he is coming to live with me for a few months (along with my sister and her family since they are selling their house and building a new one), so I was wondering what I should do to make him comfortable. I already have two young dogs so I'm planning to keep him separate, but that would mean he won't have access to the backyard for about 8 hours. Are there any doggy toilets I can put inside? Do they work?

I'm not sure of the side effects of radiation - but I believe the effects are not the same as in humans (the effects appear to be less). I would give that a go seeing that he has started having seizures, but best to discuss any effects with your vet.

I agree that surgery wouldn't be best... but to keep him comfortable and symptom free I would consider soemthing less drastic like radiation in an attempt to shrink it and hopefully give him good quality of life for a number of years.