Buying My First Camera

B-Q

Well I've got to say, all this talk of new cameras got me stirred up, so I went off & got myself an E30 from eBay. Came all the way from the USA. It arrived late yesterday.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, but some test shots from this afternoon were pretty impressive. Here's four of my boy Maze in action. I don't think my E420 could have taken the same shots, although it was using the same lense (18-180mm ED), regardless of the fact that I'm rather experienced with the E420 these days...

maze.jpg

maze1.jpg

maze2.jpg

maze3.jpg

Edited by DMA

Congrats DMA, it's infectious isn't it. I dont know what that camera model is but I hope you'll have lots of fun with it, I am sure you will.

Yeah come on Busterlove, what did you end up getting. I hope you are reading the manual right now.

Congrats DMA, it's infectious isn't it. I dont know what that camera model is but I hope you'll have lots of fun with it, I am sure you will.

Yeah come on Busterlove, what did you end up getting. I hope you are reading the manual right now.

Oh I'm a camera addict going way back to the age of 5 when my nanna gave me a Kodak brownie. Then, in my teens, I used my dad's old Chinon SLR, & at 21 I got my own Canon AE-1. Remember those? Yes showing my age here I must admit :laugh:

The "old" DSLR was an Olympus E-420. I've used it extensively with my pound work. It was very good, especially when I got the 18-180mm lens. But then I got thinking, thanks to this thread, about getting something better as I had pretty much reached the limits of the camera, so the Olympus E-30 came to mind. That's what I got last Friday. And I'm already impressed by the photos it's taken, especially yesterday at Port Stephens pound, as the E-420 never liked the lighting conditions there, but the E-30 loves them.

BTW what's a manual? :)

I ended up with a Canon EOS 450D. Very happy with it :laugh:

Heres a couple from just toying around with it the first day in the P setting.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Yes I'm reading the manual. lol. I'm so clueless as to what I'm doing but I want to get my money's worth out of it.

WWWooooooooHHHHooooooooo Cattledog :laugh:

Nice pics too for your toying time busterlove. I particularly like the shot where the dog is sticking his head through the fence :D

And like Kirislin, I've never used the P settling... :laugh:

The settings - P is the auto setting gets an image on the camera but why buy a DSLR and just use P forever. Good to start with but best to learn over time how the settings work (buy a DSLR for dummies type book - I did for Photoshop 4 though for PS it was a little hard to find but handy reference) and move onto the other three main settings.

AV & TV - one is you select the aperture and the camera picks the speed while the other is you pick the speed and the camera picks the aperture. IN the 50D the camera it also has a setting where even if you pick the aperture or speed it will adjust slightly if the camera cant expose an image properly in AV & TV.

M - fully manual you control all the settings

and then ther are the other various setttings on the different cameras which you would have to check the manual for.

As for focus - which setting depends on what the subject of the photo is doing - running dog needs AI servo but posed dog and one shot is better.