Charlies Ear

SeeGee

Hi Everyone,

Got home from work last night and was giving Charlie some cuddles, where I noticed a little patch of fur was gone from his right ear. There is no redness or inflamation. No whereelse is scuffed or marked......... It is a little patch, half a centremeter wide and maybe 0.75 cm in length. When i say the fur is gone, i mean it is GONE. No hairs in bare patch at all.

any ideas? He appears to be in good health otherwise........ i feel concerned. he wasnt home alone at all yesterday, my husband was home with him all day, then we crossed over as i came home and he went out.

Thanks,

jacqui

but he has had all the meds....vaccinations.....omg omg omg. how does this happen? He was at the kennels for 5 nights.....

*panics*

*note* stopped panicing, will take to vet in the am. *sigh* just frustrating when you try and do the right thing.....

Edited by jacquilee81

My first thought was ringworm too. There aren't any medicinal preventatives for ringworm - it isn't a 'worm' but a fungus.

Yep, ringworm can be picked up anywhere and there is no preventative. Animals and people can catch it from many places, a local pharmacist told me recently that it is commonly picked up by gardeners from dirt so it would be easy for a dog to do the same.

Normal worming treatments cover intestinal worms (and sometimes heartworm depending on the product) but ringworm is not a worm :)

If it is ringworm it's no biggie, your vet should be able to treat it easily :)

he could have just caught the fur and pulled it out

ringworm doesnt have to be a ring ... I shone a couple of pups under a light once and ewwwwwwwww they were glow in the dark :thumbsup: they took to their vet who said she couldnt 'see' anything (didnt use a light) so they didnt have it. No light/scrape dont take their word for no ringworm

hi all.

kinda feeling down now; went to vet. no ringworm (used light). Ear infection (which kinda knew about which was another reason we went to the vet). Got vet to look at charlies hips/legs cos ive said from day one that he runs funny.... He now needs xray etc to determind whether or not he has hip dysplacia (spelling). Got home and had a look at our cover and we are still in the 30 day waiting period. My poor little puppy :laugh: We will do everything we can for him of course, with or without cover, but does anyone have any stories or experiances here? I dont know what this really is, what to expect......

Thanks,

Sad puppy mummy of sad puppy,

Jacqui

how old and what breed

vets can be quick to jump at HD. A chubby or under muscled puppy will have a wobbly walk. Dont worry 30 day waiting, HD can wait. Unless the dog is in extreme pain (which he's not) it's nothing you have to rush at

just cut his weight down, get him low impact exercising like wading through water etc and good quality food. Also I would book in for a chiropractor to have a good look at him too. Don't panic yet :laugh:

Charlie is a beagle, just shy on 6 months. The vets say he is in great condition weight wise, looking just how he should be, really healthy (bar the ear infection).

Ill check out the doggie chiro.

When the vet looked at his hip, she pulled/stretched his leg a few times and we could see there was discomfort. Im hoping its nothing, but we are waiting to get the xrays for a few weeks now. Doesnt matter re. health insurance, it is on his file that it was looked at today, and thats within the 30 days - Our cover requests all files from begining of ownership on first claim.

Thanks you !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

Just bumping this cos its kinda related.

Charlies' ear infection has come back in one ear only. We are continuing to clean it out with the cleaning drops but have no more medicated drops - back to the vet!

Are these things reoccuring like this - its like he has had no relief in nearly a month :confused: I feel so awful for him - he is constantly scratching his ear :laugh:

Thanks All,

Jacqui