How To Regain Some Lost Weight From Vet Visit

FranVT

Atlas lost a lot of weight (around 4kg) in the vets while he was there post-MVA, and now you can see his ribs quite clearly and he looks even lankier than his normal lanky self.

I really want to get him regaining some of his former bulk that was just starting to come through. The skin around his neck and chest is all loose as well.

The vet said that because of his liver trauma we need to keep him on a low fat / salt diet, so we've been feeding him roo mince (which he LOVES) and some chicken necks with any excess fat trimmed.

He is quite fussy, doesn't like dry food at all, never has.

Any tips on how we can get him to regain some weight (doesn't seem to be happening much if at all) without overloading him with fat?

Must add, his liver values on Tuesday were back to normal so we can start adding some fat back into his diet but yes don't want to overload.

Help would be appreciated!

FranCO .... do you need to get it back on him in a hurry? Generally I find that weight loss after a trauma such as your boy has experienced will gradually return of its own accord and I would think that it is probably best to not overload his system with food for this sake. Rather, just concentrate on his other physical health and ensure that he's not losing weight. Gradual, I would think, would be the best thing to focus on as far as weight gain/return is concerned.

Great to hear that he's making his way back to good health :).

Edited by Erny

Good call guys ;) that's what we've been doing, I would never have increased the amount of his food anyway, just wondered if there were any kind of superfoods for regaining weight healthily. But yes, happy to just toddle on and let him regain naturally. It just makes me anxious to be patting / brushing him and feeling ribs so close to the skin :) Poor fella.

I'd avoid Satin Balls especially if being cautious about the fat levels.

My vet saw the Satin Ball recipes and was not impressed.

You're better adding chicken wings and lamb flaps/ breast.

I am trying to add a little extra weight on Boo and am using a mix of mince, sweet potato and cottage cheese in his kibble.

Just feed normally and chuck him a couple of chicken wings at some point suring the day as an extra ;)

I was thinking more like ,buy a whole chicken and whack it into 4,2 legs and 2 breast pieces with the wings attached,plus it's just bone and not much protein. A wing for a Bull Terrier is perfect one gulp and choking size.

I have Vizslas and they eat a whole chicken each at a sitting. I would even watch them like a hawk with a leg!