Hotdogs?

Primedogs

They are full of preservative and colour. I wouldn't feed them as a regular treat when BBQ chicken is usually just as effective for most dogs and doesn't give them the same nasty chemicals. Seriously - hotdogs are so far away from being food that I'm surprised the FDA allow them. :(

BBQ Chicken or make your own liver treats and freeze them. :mad

"Not long ago, for example, it was difficult to pulverize poultry cheaply; now hot-dog manufacturers enthusiastically chicken out, cramming up to 15% of their sausages with bird parts. Poultry is one of the more appetizing ingredients. Federal law allows hot dogs to contain such animal features as esophagi, ears, lips and snouts. In the words of Robert Benchley: "Ain't it offal?" And even these ingredients do not exhaust the bad news. Hot dogs are brimming with additives, including sodium nitrite, sodium acid pyrophosphate and glucona delta lactone. Without such chemicals, the hot dog would lose its pink blush and turn the color of unwashed sneakers. The wiener may also contain "binders," like dried milk, cereal or starchy vegetable flour. According to Consumers Union, there can also be occasional insect parts and rodent hairs.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...0WCBPlxUa"

So I ask the question "WHY WOULD YOU FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG?" I'm much more concerned about the chemicals than the odd rodent hair. :mad

I was wondering are bits of hotdog okay to use as treats, it wouldn't be everyday just sunday's if they grab his attention, or just this once if his not that keen

we had a cold hot dog fall on the kitchen floor one day and my dog just sniffed it and walked away.hee hee. then the next one came along and did the same thing. hmm i dont think i could get away with using them as a treat., but i find them yummy......really good training food for a endurance mountain biker. NOT!mine would crash tackle me if they had the chance for a liver treat though.Australian made ones of course.....

Edited by sandra64

I use hot dogs as treats but generally dry them out in the microwave for about 5mins first(cut into small pieces first)and that way they don't leave that slimy feel on your hands and will keep a lot longer than if being fresh

They are full of preservative and colour. I wouldn't feed them as a regular treat when BBQ chicken is usually just as effective for most dogs and doesn't give them the same nasty chemicals. Seriously - hotdogs are so far away from being food that I'm surprised the FDA allow them. :eek:

BBQ Chicken or make your own liver treats and freeze them. :mad

My dog is allergic to Chicken and Chicken is in everything as most people know :( , we buy a hotdog product without chicken.

It's a processed food, just the same as any other processed food and they're not all full of preservatives and colours, just need to read the label to make sure you're buying a product that you're comfortable with

"Not long ago, for example, it was difficult to pulverize poultry cheaply; now hot-dog manufacturers enthusiastically chicken out, cramming up to 15% of their sausages with bird parts. Poultry is one of the more appetizing ingredients. Federal law allows hot dogs to contain such animal features as esophagi, ears, lips and snouts. In the words of Robert Benchley: "Ain't it offal?" And even these ingredients do not exhaust the bad news. Hot dogs are brimming with additives, including sodium nitrite, sodium acid pyrophosphate and glucona delta lactone. Without such chemicals, the hot dog would lose its pink blush and turn the color of unwashed sneakers. The wiener may also contain "binders," like dried milk, cereal or starchy vegetable flour. According to Consumers Union, there can also be occasional insect parts and rodent hairs.

So I ask the question "WHY WOULD YOU FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG?" I'm much more concerned about the chemicals than the odd rodent hair. :mad

:( Ummm you're being very broad, not all hot dog products are like that, as we have to research anything that is fed to our allergic dog.

Maybe some research is in order rather than just parroting an article you read somewhere :eek:

I also cut them into small pieces then microwave for a few minutes, it makes great training treats and rewards for Flyball. Mine have never had a problem eating them, even the little fella who has sensitive skind can eat them no problems :love:.

So I ask the question "WHY WOULD YOU FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG?" I'm much more concerned about the chemicals than the odd rodent hair. :(

:cry: Ummm you're being very broad, not all hot dog products are like that, as we have to research anything that is fed to our allergic dog.

Maybe some research is in order rather than just parroting an article you read somewhere :)

I've done plenty of research Sas - and you will notice that I posted what I knew about them first before I went searching for some information to back up my opinion.

If you have found hotdog sausages that contain a real amount of meat and no preservatives then I'd love to hear about the brand. You can feed your dog whatever you like - that's your business. I am responding to somebody who asked a question.